PDA

View Full Version : Hanging a blacktail question

Pablothemagnificent
10-17-2014, 10:08 PM
I need some guidance here. I shot a blacktail buck in Region 2 yesterday morning. I gutted and hung him in my barn before heading off to work. I skinned him in the evening and checked him this morning and the meat seemed fine and was forming a bit of a shell. The temperature got up to about 10 degrees Celsius during the day. My plan is to butcher him myself tomorrow morning. So, by the time I am done processing the buck, it will be 48 hours. Do you think the meat should still be fine? I will cut off anything questionable. There were no flies around the carcass at all.

Midland
10-17-2014, 10:17 PM
I need some guidance here. I shot a blacktail buck in Region 2 yesterday morning. I gutted and hung him in my barn before heading off to work. I skinned him in the evening and checked him this morning and the meat seemed fine and was forming a bit of a shell. The temperature got up to about 10 degrees Celsius during the day. My plan is to butcher him myself tomorrow morning. So, by the time I am done processing the buck, it will be 48 hours. Do you think the meat should still be fine? I will cut off anything questionable. There were no flies around the carcass at all.Should be just fine....

tinhorse
10-17-2014, 10:18 PM
It will be perfect. The only thing I would suggest next time is to skin it as soon as possible. It really helps to cool it off quickly. The temps are fine right now to hang for a few days without worry. It is the moisture that is usually the issue and can cause mood to form if left too long or with no air movement.

JasonH
10-17-2014, 10:18 PM
The shell is just the meat congealing, having a layer dry up over it. If the meat is in the shade, and altogether cooled down to 4 degrees Celsius at a point, to my understanding I think you're fine. I've been told that it can reach higher temperatures during the day, as long as the meat stays in the shade and hits that low temperature at night again.

The meat should definitely be fine. It'll tell you if it isn't through colour, smell, or when you find out, taste.

My question to you is... where'd you go for a buck in region 2? :wink:

LupieHunter
10-17-2014, 10:24 PM
Lots of places to hunt deer here in region 2. I got a buck here too about a month ago.

last light
10-17-2014, 10:29 PM
As long as you gutted and cooled the animal as fast as possible and kept it VERY clean the whole time it should be fine. 5 Celsius or lower would be better but if it's only been two days it should still be okay. Also as long as it wasn't in direct sunlight and you kept flies off for sure. Those eggs turn into maggots very quickly this time of year. I would definitely get er done ASAP though. I would make certain to get it all done on Saturday for sure. Don't want to waste any of that good meat! Congrats on the buck! Enjoy.

chinook
10-17-2014, 10:50 PM
It will be fine. Next time skin it as soon as possible or at least open the hide up along the insides of the legs and open the body cavity up nice and wide to let some heat out faster. Any size to him?

Pablothemagnificent
10-18-2014, 03:03 AM
It will be fine. Next time skin it as soon as possible or at least open the hide up along the insides of the legs and open the body cavity up nice and wide to let some heat out faster. Any size to him?

Thanks for this advice and for the other comments. I spread his legs out pretty well when he was hanging and I put a stick across his rib cage to open his cavity, so I'm confident that the original cooling went well. He was a 2-point with some decent size. Also, there was an east wind which kept a good air flow going through the large open doors of the barn.
He'll be in the freezer by noon, so I'm hopeful that he won't spoil. It's nice to have the benefit of other's experience.

Pablothemagnificent
10-18-2014, 03:13 AM
My question to you is... where'd you go for a buck in region 2? :wink:

I got him in Region 2-3. Lots of deer around here the last number of years.

sawmill
10-18-2014, 05:00 AM
Thanks for this advice and for the other comments. I spread his legs out pretty well when he was hanging and I put a stick across his rib cage to open his cavity, so I'm confident that the original cooling went well. He was a 2-point with some decent size. Also, there was an east wind which kept a good air flow going through the large open doors of the barn.
He'll be in the freezer by noon, so I'm hopeful that he won't spoil. It's nice to have the benefit of other's experience.

You are golden,no worries.I`v hung em` at + 20,just opened them up wide and stuck a couple bags of ice in them overnight.
Don`t worry about hanging to tenderize either,no fat in the meat,I do mine the very next day.Had a steak from one I butchered yesterday,hung overnight.Friggen outstanding!Congrats on the buck!

fearnodeer
10-18-2014, 07:07 AM
Cooling game is number 1 in my books but its only been the last 10 years that I quarter and debone as sold as I can, yours is going to be just fine.

two-feet
10-18-2014, 08:21 PM
I have hung deer, hide on, for longer than 2 days in those temps and as long as there is good air circulation me thinks it should be just fine.

Pics!

IslandWanderer
11-12-2020, 08:55 PM
Bumping an old thread.

Currently hanging a deer sideways from my headache rack.

4 celsius all day
Gutted, skinned, game bag immediately
6 celsius currently. Going to 7 or 8 tomorrow.
Top and sides tarped

My question is about ice. I've got 3 bags in the game bag with it, but I don't think it'll dry with the melting ice.

Ditch the ice, or leave the ice? Hoping it'll last a couple days till we go home. Any opinions would be appreciated.

srthomas75
11-12-2020, 09:03 PM
I would ditch the ice. You don't want the meat to be wet. just cool. The current temps are fine as long as it has a bit of air around it. I think with the rain that we are now having it is tougher for it to skin over though.

ratherbefishin
11-12-2020, 09:31 PM
If we’re in the bush and it turns warm, we try to hang it in the shade then light a smoky fire to keep the flies off

IslandWanderer
11-12-2020, 09:57 PM
I would ditch the ice. You don't want the meat to be wet. just cool. The current temps are fine as long as it has a bit of air around it. I think with the rain that we are now having it is tougher for it to skin over though.

Much appreciated. I'm on Texada right now and it's pretty damp and rainy. Hoping the breeze while driving tomorrow will help with getting it to form a skin.

IslandWanderer
11-12-2020, 10:04 PM
If we’re in the bush and it turns warm, we try to hang it in the shade then light a smoky fire to keep the flies off

Thanks, I haven't seen too many flies, but if they're around I'm sure they'll be landing on my deer. I saw a buddy's deer get fly eggs on it and it ruined it.

Rayne
11-12-2020, 10:56 PM
Should be good. I got a buck on day 3 of a 5 day hunt and had the deer hanging in the pouring rain for 2 days. Meat was fine when I got home and got him in the freezer.

IslandWanderer
11-13-2020, 03:50 PM
Should be good. I got a buck on day 3 of a 5 day hunt and had the deer hanging in the pouring rain for 2 days. Meat was fine when I got home and got him in the freezer.

Thanks, that makes me feel better about the wet conditions. Luckily we got another today so are headed home.

ratherbefishin
11-13-2020, 04:36 PM
It’s amazing, even when its frosty at night( best thing you can get for hanging game), the sun comes out and flies appear..we just find a smoky fire holds them off

Bubbacanuck
11-13-2020, 05:20 PM
70% vinegar / 30% distilled water in a clean bucket and use clean rags to wipe the meat down. Get the meat hung under a sloped tarp that allows wind to hit the meat but prevents rain from hitting the meat. As mentioned earlier, if possible hang in game bags and use duct tape around the opening to prevent flies from getting to the meat. You should last 4-5 days in the bush this way.

KodiakHntr
11-14-2020, 06:44 AM
At 7* overnight you could hang that deer for WAY longer than you think. Keep it DRY with a tarp over it and you will be fine.

Dry with air circulation and meat will keep for a very long time.