PDA

View Full Version : Garnett Valley Questions

Brizz
10-17-2014, 12:21 PM
Hey all - so I'm reading through the regs recently and I see map J22. This map, I believe is new this year? Basically this map shows the entire Garnett Valley from Summerland to Peachland as being closed to motor vehicle year round. The signs all over the area indicate different road closures - seasonal roads and most closed during the winter - which I understand as this is an important wintering ground.

This is the definition of a motor vehicle - means a device in, on or by which a person or thing is being or may be transported or drawn, and which is designed to be self propelled, and includes an ATV or snowmobile, but does not include a device designed to be moved by human, animal or wind power; a device designed to be used exclusively on stationary rails or stationary tracks; or a boat propelled by motorized power.

So, am I to assume that hunting by vehicle is essentially closed for this area, ie no road hunting. If that is case, fine I like to hike and this area is beautiful for hiking but... as for packing out any game meat. What's the deal? Do I have to park outside the boundary of the J22 map? If so, that's a LONG ass walk from Summerland...

Could I park within this map, go for a few hour hike - theoretically harvest a deer and pack the meat back to the truck?

Thoughts?

goatdancer
10-17-2014, 03:44 PM
You have to look a little closer at the map. The white roads are open year round, the dotted roads are open May 1 to Dec. 31, and the rest of the area is closed.

Brizz
10-18-2014, 10:25 AM
Cheers, thanks goatdancer. There is so much new signage in the area I wanted to be sure.