PDA

View Full Version : Might be moving to Alberta.

Wild_Dog
10-17-2014, 11:43 AM
So my wife wants to relocate the family to Alberta in order to be closer to her family....we have a baby twins and would appreciate the family support.

So how does it work for hunting in BC if I live in Alberta. My brothers all live on the coast and we have an annual hunt that we partake in. I'm guessing LEH draws are done. Lame.

Thoughts?

adriaticum
10-17-2014, 11:48 AM
Move the family to BC.

mike-juliet
10-17-2014, 11:49 AM
As you will be a Resident of the Dirty Berta, your brother will have to apply for a Permit To Accompany for you to be eligible to hunt here, Tags & Licenses will also be much more expensive as a Non Resident. Full Details can be found in the regs.

mike-juliet
10-17-2014, 11:49 AM
Move the family to BC.

This......

BRvalley
10-17-2014, 11:55 AM
pricey to comeback and hunt BC as non resident through hunter host program....perhaps maintain a BC address on your drivers licence, but wouldn't be advertising that game plan....

Sofa King
10-17-2014, 12:18 PM
pricey to comeback and hunt BC as non resident through hunter host program....perhaps maintain a BC address on your drivers licence, but wouldn't be advertising that game plan....
this. the majority of kelowna is running red plague license plates. just do the same, in reverse.

Drillbit
10-17-2014, 12:21 PM
maintain a BC address on your drivers licence, but wouldn't be advertising that game plan....

That's all Jim Shockey does! lol

There are many that work 2in,1out in Ft Mac and still claim to be BC residents.

Sofa King
10-17-2014, 12:24 PM
oh my, it must suck, becoming an albortion.

Wild_Dog
10-17-2014, 12:27 PM
Well I was thinking I would just rent out my house instead of selling it. Does that still qualify me as a BC resident? After all I will be paying property taxes here...

Sofa King
10-17-2014, 12:33 PM
you just need a mailing address from what ive seen.

Sofa King
10-17-2014, 12:44 PM
jst so you know, you wont be happy out there. not if you think bc is awesome anyway. that saying "happy wife, happy life", bullshit, that was coined by a wife obviously. happy me, happy life.

Mikey Rafiki
10-17-2014, 12:59 PM
Well I was thinking I would just rent out my house instead of selling it. Does that still qualify me as a BC resident? After all I will be paying property taxes here...

Even if you own property here it wouldn't be considered your primary residence, therefore you aren't a BC resident.

The BC hunting license system seems to be horribly weak, as I know of people who have lived in Alberta full time for years but they just provide a BC address when they get their license here. Don't even need to provide a piece of ID or anything.

I hope the new electronic system that comes into place one decade prevents this; just have to cross-check the legal name with the list of actual BC residents.

There's always LEH's for Alberta!

300win
10-17-2014, 01:00 PM
Enjoy Alberta, great hunting and fishing. Eventually you will have to pay for non-resident tag......:twisted: in BC if you plan to come back.

northernsculler
10-17-2014, 01:06 PM
Your family is in your home. This move is the textbook pre cursor to tragedy. Once you move to Alberta you wont be leaving. If she aint happy with you in BC why would she be happy in Alberta? Think hard. Babies aint something that you need support for. Done 3 with just the wife and no one suffered a bit. Offer to buy a plane ticket a month to have her bring out family to stay with you for the weekend. win win.

Wild_Dog
10-17-2014, 01:31 PM
I've always done things by the book so if I have to pony up to pay for non-residence tags then so be it. Oh and I know its crazy...we both have solid middle income jobs in a cheap town. Seems ludicrous to me and I'm hoping its just sort of postpartum thing. That said...my wife and my family come before anything so if she really wants to make that move then so be that also.

fuzzybiscuit
10-17-2014, 02:25 PM
Born and raised in BC but I did the unthinkable and moved to Alberta, and worse yet Fort McMurray, a little over year ago. Best thing I ever did. My wife and kids absolutely love it here. We should have made the move years ago.

Rackmastr
10-17-2014, 02:29 PM
I've always done things by the book so if I have to pony up to pay for non-residence tags then so be it. Oh and I know its crazy...we both have solid middle income jobs in a cheap town. Seems ludicrous to me and I'm hoping its just sort of postpartum thing. That said...my wife and my family come before anything so if she really wants to make that move then so be that also.

Smart post. There are a lot of stupid ideas posted about how to try and cheat the system to maintain residency in BC while living in Alberta. Its not hard to enjoy a hunt in BC while living back in Alberta, and you can always invite family over to Alberta to do the same and host them there. Family first buddy.

Surrey Boy
10-17-2014, 02:32 PM
That's all Jim Shockey does! lol

There are many that work 2in,1out in Ft Mac and still claim to be BC residents.

I already checked, I'm not allowed to claim the rig camp as my permanent residence.

Jagermeister
10-17-2014, 02:55 PM
When the RCMP pull over a non-resident, they now ask for tow pieces of ID. Drivers licence and Provincial healthcare card. You might have a BC driver licence and live in Alberta, but you won't have a BC Medical card.

sawmill
10-17-2014, 02:58 PM
Ask this question on Alberta Outdoorsman .com.A site like this one.

Wild_Dog
10-17-2014, 03:17 PM
When the RCMP pull over a non-resident, they now ask for tow pieces of ID. Drivers licence and Provincial healthcare card. You might have a BC driver licence and live in Alberta, but you won't have a BC Medical card.

Not that it matters but BC Medical is now incorporated into your drivers license. Anyways...if it does happen I'll just pay the licensing costs. It ranges from 125-250 or so depending on the species. Not that big a deal. Thanks all for your comments.

northernsculler
10-17-2014, 03:42 PM
It is not the tag cost that will hurt it is the fact you'll need, as a non resident, to pay a guide. (or get one of those permits for a family member to accompany you)
You can still hunt small game and waterfowl though with out much xtra cost/hassle. Really though there are lots of critters in Alberta so you are not going to suffer much on that front.
Get some inlaws in your BC house ASAP. Sometimes people's ideas about things get idealized.

Husky7mm
10-17-2014, 03:46 PM
Well said 👍

canadiancon
10-17-2014, 05:06 PM
Born and raised in BC but I did the unthinkable and moved to Alberta, and worse yet Fort McMurray, a little over year ago. Best thing I ever did. My wife and kids absolutely love it here. We should have made the move years ago.

You moved your family there and they love it? They must be nuts! Haha, I work 2 on 2 off for wajax at shell and can hardly stand going through town to the airport! Haha

180grainer
10-17-2014, 05:13 PM
Take up duck, goose, and pheasant hunting. Also great mule and white tail hunting.

Wild one
10-17-2014, 05:17 PM
If you live in western Alberta you still have lots of good hunting. If you bow hunt huge opportunities in Alberta. Found my self travelling less for my hunts as well in Alberta.

You do loose on goat, thinhorns, grizz and caribou but everything else is in Alberta. The hunting for the species they do have is good in my opinion

You can still hunt gos in BC with a host but it is pricey. It is easier and cheaper to have friends/family hunt with you in Alberta

fearnodeer
10-17-2014, 05:23 PM
Just do it, more game there and a better leh system.

IronNoggin
10-17-2014, 07:54 PM
Like your attitude Wild One. You'll be OK. http://bigshotsbc.ca/images/smilies/Pozitive.gif

MUCH Better Whitetails, Better Mulies, Elk & Moose similar, Antelope, Big Horns, Pheasants & Geese and...
An LEH system that makes BC's look like it was created in a second grade class (which for all I know it was :twisted: )

Once you get onto the gig over there, methinks you'll find you end up Hosting a few of your BC brethren over time! :wink:

And of course you can always come back and hunt here Hosted by Family.

Drop a dime when you get situated. I have a lot of Buddies over there, hunt it reasonably frequently myself, and don't mind sharing...

Cheers,
Nog

fuzzybiscuit
10-17-2014, 08:31 PM
You moved your family there and they love it? They must be nuts! Haha, I work 2 on 2 off for wajax at shell and can hardly stand going through town to the airport! Haha

When I commuted I didn't like it much either. Made a home of it and in the end we are very happy. Fort McMurray has more to offer for young families than most places. Three times the income per year that I could have made as a journeyman in BC doesn't hurt either.

Tuffcity
10-17-2014, 08:39 PM
hunt here Hosted by Family

Family hosting only applies if you are not a Canadian. Friends can "hunter host" you in BC under a permit to accompany.

RC

Husky7mm
10-17-2014, 09:02 PM
What part of alberta ?

tangozulu
10-17-2014, 09:21 PM
Lots of my friends get a good bull elk every year in Alberta and lots have a nice bighorn on the wall and usually an awsome whitetail.

Sofa King
10-17-2014, 09:26 PM
Lots of my friends get a good bull elk every year in Alberta and lots have a nice bighorn on the wall and usually an awsome whitetail.

yeah, but do they have to LIVE there?
that's the shitty part.
sure they have animals, everywhere does.
but say good-bye to scenery and mountains, that's the shitty part.
alberta sucks, bc is awesome.

Husky7mm
10-18-2014, 08:35 AM
that's the shitty part.

That is not true, some areas may be a down grade in scenery but there are many positives. Some folks feel the mountains block the veiw. It's really all about ones perspectives. A positive attitude will determine the outcome.

Wild one
10-18-2014, 08:52 AM
that's the shitty part.

Live in western Alberta and you still have the Rockies so no different then living in eastern BC. If moving to the bald parries yes you loose the view. The view was horrible living in Canmore lol

The mountains don't stop at the BC border :mrgreen:

scott h
10-18-2014, 08:58 AM
Good luck with your move ! Take advantage of your time there and experience more hunting than you probably ever thought of, in fact you will more than likely be "hunter hosting" you family to come hunt in Alberta :). I've done the opposite of of what you are tryiing to do by having my father host me in Alberta for deer and antelope and it was very easy but the license cost about $100 if I can recall accurately. The upland/migratory hunting doesn't require them to be hosted of coarse.
Good on you for wanting things done above board and I wonder if those that hate the hunting in Alberta so much have even been there????

Wild one
10-18-2014, 09:06 AM
Good luck with your move ! Take advantage of your time there and experience more hunting than you probably ever thought of, in fact you will more than likely be "hunter hosting" you family to come hunt in Alberta :). I've done the opposite of of what you are tryiing to do by having my father host me in Alberta for deer and antelope and it was very easy but the license cost about $100 if I can recall accurately. The upland/migratory hunting doesn't require them to be hosted of coarse.
Good on you for wanting things done above board and I wonder if those that hate the hunting in Alberta so much have even been there????

You nailed it most BC hunters who talk trash about Alberta hunting have never spent time hunting out there. With most hunters in BC only hunting moose, elk, deer, and bear they wont miss a thing. Guys who hunt the high country in northern BC will miss there hunting.

A lot of BC residents have been brain washed that BC is so great no where else will ever come close lol

goatdancer
10-18-2014, 09:43 AM
this. the majority of kelowna is running red plague license plates. just do the same, in reverse.

The majority of Kelowna is running BC plates. If you lived here you would see that. Quit making up crap.

goatdancer
10-18-2014, 09:49 AM
You nailed it most BC hunters who talk trash about Alberta hunting have never spent time hunting out there. With most hunters in BC only hunting moose, elk, deer, and bear they wont miss a thing. Guys who hunt the high country in northern BC will miss there hunting.

A lot of BC residents have been brain washed that BC is so great no where else will ever come close lol

Bang on. I have had the good fortune to have hunted in Alberta half a dozen times. Even did an unarmed trip with a good friend for his bow draw bighorn hunt in Canmore. There is some beautiful country over there, just like BC. There is also some flat, lumpy shit country, just like BC. Make the best of what you find, wherever you are. Life's too short to be negative.

RINO
10-18-2014, 09:54 AM
Ever wonder why there are two Cabelas in Edmonton.. Bass Pro in Calgary as well as WSS ??

BC wasn't their first market plan!!

The Hermit
10-18-2014, 10:01 AM
Positives - Great hunting in Alta. Rocky Mountains. Lots of money to be made. Good hard working people. Lower taxes! Edmonton has terrific music/theatre/arts scene. Her family is there.

Negatives - No ocean. Tight political oligarchy. WINTER (I live on the coast for a reason :-) ) Her family is there.

Sofa King
10-18-2014, 10:35 AM
That is not true, some areas may be a down grade in scenery but there are many positives. Some folks feel the mountains block the veiw. It's really all about ones perspectives. A positive attitude will determine the outcome.
Haha. Spoken like a flatlander. its mountains that make the scenery. Without them, theres nothing to see but the horizon and the next town. People live in alberta and sask for the $$ not the weather and scenery. Alberta and sask rush to bc in droves dvery long weekend for a reason. You dont see bc rushing out to the prairies on their weekends.

Husky7mm
10-18-2014, 10:57 AM
Haha. Spoken like a flatlander. its mountains that make the scenery. Without them, theres nothing to see but the horizon and the next town. People live in alberta and sask for the $$ not the weather and scenery. Alberta and sask rush to bc in droves dvery long weekend for a reason. You dont see bc rushing out to the prairies on their weekends.
Not true again, I spent most of my life in the mountains and yes bc does run to alberta.... To go shopping to further weaken there locally economy's because of all the extra tax saving.

gbear
10-18-2014, 04:43 PM
Wild Dog, it's not too bad. I made the move this summer. I didn't get prepared well for this hunting season, but hopefully next year I will. I just ordered a bow so I can get in on all the archery seasons. Still hoping to get out for whitetails though. If you move near Edmonton, let me know

tangozulu
10-18-2014, 08:38 PM
that's the shitty part.
You are seriously missguided.
The very first canadian national parks were Banff and Jasper simply because they were not only awsome but the most awsome.
The anti Alberta sentiment in here is old. Thousands of BC families are supported by Alberta paychecks. Time the mods stop the cheap shots by idiots.

Husky7mm
10-19-2014, 07:08 AM
Some folk are much harder than others , they don't care if the there's snow and -30, they don't need to take bitch mints for pain , and they would not feel bad if they shot a coyote or wolf.....

goatdancer
10-19-2014, 10:08 AM
Some folk are much harder than others , they don't care if the there's snow and -30, they don't need to take bitch mints for pain , and they would not feel bad if they shot a coyote or wolf.....

I found that I could dress for the cold and stay reasonably warm, not like the 'wet coast' where the damp cut to the bone.

Wild one
10-19-2014, 11:09 AM
I found that I could dress for the cold and stay reasonably warm, not like the 'wet coast' where the damp cut to the bone.

Dry cold over wet cold anytime for me

Hillbros_96
10-19-2014, 11:22 AM
Non-resident is cheaper in BC then Alberta. I came from Alberta 3 yrs ago and miss the amount of animals, but more species here.

Wild one
10-19-2014, 11:37 AM
Non-resident is cheaper in BC then Alberta. I came from Alberta 3 yrs ago and miss the amount of animals, but more species here.

Where they get you in BC as non resident is trophy fee if successful

hayseed
10-19-2014, 06:35 PM
LOL... Sofa king... good name for one who has cheezie prints on his dick all day long....Bash us all day long?? You name the place pal and I will show you " flat land " whoop ass ...

Regards;
A proud Albertan.

Kopper
10-19-2014, 06:46 PM
LOL... Sofa king... good name for one who has cheezie prints on his dick all day long....Bash us all day long?? You name the place pal and I will show you " flat land " whoop ass ...

Regards;
A proud Albertan.

Haha I got a good chuckle out of that, but let's not degrade this site to that of YouTube standards.

Wentrot
10-19-2014, 06:57 PM

Regards;
A proud Albertan.

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae344/matthewtrot/Mobile%20Uploads/d3c5b4269d8d7be8aa63dba4fe30b8530be1f4fffeea097c02 aac7ebac43bcec_zpshpfetpfp.jpg (http://s986.photobucket.com/user/matthewtrot/media/Mobile%20Uploads/d3c5b4269d8d7be8aa63dba4fe30b8530be1f4fffeea097c02 aac7ebac43bcec_zpshpfetpfp.jpg.html)

elkaholk
10-20-2014, 08:21 AM
Lots of miss information about hunting in alberta.. our draw system is a pain. Used to be able to hunt giant mule deer with no draw in bow season.. not anymore.. all the good zones have gone to the draw system for both bow and rifle as is moose. More opportunities for big bull elk if you can get on to private land.. whitetails uses to be thick in most of the province, but the last couple winters have reduced them to a third of what the population was. If you want more information pm me.

Husky7mm
10-20-2014, 08:33 AM
Lots of miss information about hunting in alberta.. our draw system is a pain. Used to be able to hunt giant mule deer with no draw in bow season.. not anymore.. all the good zones have gone to the draw system for both bow and rifle as is moose. More opportunities for big bull elk if you can get on to private land.. whitetails uses to be thick in most of the province, but the last couple winters have reduced them to a third of what the population was. If you want more information pm me.
Yes the quality of hunting has eroded in the last decade And more so recently. If you make your move thinking the hunting is awesome and there are big bucks ,bulls and lots of peace and success to to be had by all you will be very disappointed. I am seriously thinking of taking up waterfowling just to get some action.

Wild one
10-20-2014, 08:54 AM

Yes, things have changed a bit but I can say the Alberta hunters I know are still as successful as they always were. It is sad about the loss of a lot of the mule deer archery seasons but still some good units to hunt archery without a draw. Most of these guys hunt crown land except for mule deer.

Other than BC's mountain hunts I will still take Alberta for a lot of things

elkaholk
10-20-2014, 12:10 PM
Cwd culls put a hurt on the mule deer population big time. The non draw zones are a gong show.. even if you do see a muley chances are it's a small fork horn.. the zone I hunt muley in has a short 2 year draw cycle . Unlike the southern zones can be anywhere from 4 to 8 years to get drawn.. these zones can produce some monster bucks. But you have to wait. I hate waiting..lol. Water fouling is great fun. Seeing the sky covered in geese is something to be seen.
Whitetail are a easy tag to fill if your out for meat. If your a horn hunter your going to have to do a lot of door knocking to gain permission on the good white tail lands. Elk is Ummm hit n miss, this season so far for me is a disaster.. but that's hunting..

Avalanche123
10-20-2014, 12:27 PM
Nothing wrong with hunting in Alberta or its scenery. I've lived across Canada and each Province offers its own unique experience.

I think you might need to get out a little more "Sofa King". :)

Sofa King
10-20-2014, 01:21 PM

Regards;
A proud Albertan.

haha.
way to go.
and I had only referred to the land, I had taken the high road and left the people out of it.
thanks for reminding us what that landscape does for the resident's attitudes also.
too funny that you get your panties bunched over the internet.

ps: shouldn't you be on huntingalta or somewhere?

Sofa King
10-20-2014, 01:28 PM
Nothing wrong with hunting in Alberta or its scenery. I've lived across Canada and each Province offers its own unique experience.

I think you might need to get out a little more "Sofa King". :)

you clearly don't know me.
I've lived in quite a bit of Canada.
born in sask, lived in several towns in sask, lived in northern Manitoba, the Yukon, and several towns in b.c.
there's a reason I skipped alberta.
and I've been from coast to coast of Canada and from the bottom to the very top.
believe me, I've gotten out.

alberta and sask are fine to visit, but if you love living in bc, you won't be happy out there.
I have quite a few friends who have moved over there for work, and they wish they hadn't.
and I went back and spent a year out there recently as well.
but we made damn sure we came home every month or so, we just had to.
and the second the rockies disappeared from sight in the rearview mirror every time we went back, we were almost depressed and powered through work so we could get back again.

Sofa King
10-20-2014, 01:33 PM

what are you talking about?
I grew up in the prairies, and the very north of Manitoba, and the Yukon, and even your mighty peace.
I know the cold, and I learned that there's better places to live.
why would I feel bad if I shot a coyote or wolf?
what makes you think I haven't?

Mulehahn
10-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Since the original question has been answered, he needs a hunter host and loses LEH privileges I will discuss Alberta. I spend a lot of time in Alberta for work, but BC is my home. BC is where my heart it is. It doesn't matter where as I have lived in PG, Terrace, FSJ, Kelowna and kamloops. Some places for as little as a couple of months but they became a home. After almost 2 straight years in Alberta for a job, just getting home for Christmas as much as I tried it never felt like home. Driving back, as soon as I see that border I smile. To the OP, family is important but if you aren't happy they won't be either. Lots of people are happy in Alberta, and I am grateful to Alberta for all the opportunities it has given me, but I can never call it home.

As for the debate about hunting, with the exception of whitetail (which are expanding and getting bigger in BC) the only thing Alberta beats BC in is upland bird and coyote hunting. For the most part it is equal, with in my experience BC having more species. Working there I have made several who friends grew up and hunt there, and less you are willing to travel to the North or live up there you will be waiting at least 5 years to hunt a quality MU or be knocking on dozens of doors. I would much rather get out every year in the hope (no matter how small) of finding a huge one then get an almost guarantee every 5. If I am just looking to fill my freezer it is a mute point. As for the LEH system, it has been discussed to death how it wouldn't work in BC but even in Alberta the ones in highest demand such as Bison are completely random same as here. And in other draws you could be waiting for over 20 years to some MUs depending on your luck and as more and more people enter the system.

Wild_Dog
10-20-2014, 03:36 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies and info. As far as location goes it will be the Red Deer area. Sylvan Lake possibly. Don't know if I can handle the amount of people in Red Deer.
As for hunting opportunities...the inlaws family own a ranch in someplace she calls Heartland...like the TV show. I'm guessing its High River from my google search. Not sure how the hunting is there but part of the bribe is permission to hunt.

Anyhow....I'm always up for an adventure. If it doesn't work out then we can move. Kids are little and won't be in school for another 4 years. Nothing set in stone yet regardless.

Cheers.

Avalanche123
10-20-2014, 03:59 PM
what are you talking about?
I grew up in the prairies, and the very north of Manitoba, and the Yukon, and even your mighty peace.
I know the cold, and I learned that there's better places to live.
why would I feel bad if I shot a coyote or wolf?
what makes you think I haven't?

I stand corrected. You are right I don't know you. You are in a league all your own.

elkaholk
10-20-2014, 04:08 PM
I'd try blackfalds or reddeer before sylvan lake.. reddeer is a nice little city sylvan is a rig pig town that's population swells in the summer months. I stay far away from sylvan. It's nice but I would not live there.. I hunt north west of Bently and there's a lot of crown land within a hours drive of reddeer. If you have a ranch in the family near high river, chances are you won't hunt anyplace else lots of game down that way.. if you want more inside information on the reddeer area pm me and I'll do my best to answer your questions..

Wild_Dog
10-20-2014, 04:10 PM
ok...good to know. Thanks. I'll take a look at Blackfalds.

birdee
10-20-2014, 07:23 PM
been here 7 months now can tell you a few areas not to hunt.lol
lots of wasted gas, but still good times with my son.

Avalanche123
10-20-2014, 07:26 PM
you clearly don't know me.
I've lived in quite a bit of Canada.
born in sask, lived in several towns in sask, lived in northern Manitoba, the Yukon, and several towns in b.c.
there's a reason I skipped alberta.
and I've been from coast to coast of Canada and from the bottom to the very top.
believe me, I've gotten out.

alberta and sask are fine to visit, but if you love living in bc, you won't be happy out there.
I have quite a few friends who have moved over there for work, and they wish they hadn't.
and I went back and spent a year out there recently as well.
but we made damn sure we came home every month or so, we just had to.
and the second the rockies disappeared from sight in the rearview mirror every time we went back, we were almost depressed and powered through work so we could get back again.

You are right, I don't know you however your arrogance (or ignorance since I can't tell if you are full of bs or not) is at times astounding.

bigben
10-26-2014, 07:06 PM
BC has host system tags and make sure you do it about two months in advance on the bright side you can host your brothers andput them in for draws in alberta have more fun hunting muleys and elk and whitetails in alberta much more game there then here goood luck where ever you hunt memories are always made and cherished ............

REMINGTON JIM
10-26-2014, 07:13 PM

GOOD on You ! I wish more people would do the same ! Good LUCK ! :wink: RJ