PDA

View Full Version : NOOOOOOOOO! NIKKA is Kaput

Vladimir Poutine
10-17-2014, 11:11 AM
How will I satisfy my tackle addiction on my trips to the LM? I started shopping there when they had the original store on Powell St, right across from the Drake Hotel. It was a multi purpose trip:twisted: Back then they were only a commercial sales place, but they would sell to us sports guys who walked in off the street. No rods and such then, but you could get a 6" Tomic plug with the hook for 4 bucks.

I was hoping to get a radar for the boat this next spring, but they're almost sold out of all of those. I guess the online shopping thing has really put a dent in the business.

lip_ripper00
10-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Might have to travel to their store in Steveston........?

MB_Boy
10-17-2014, 11:45 AM
Became more common knowledge at the beginning of September.

Get in there before the end of the month. Was there a couple of weeks ago and still plenty to be had.....and I can only assume pricing will just get better in the next 2 weeks. Walked out with a pile of tackle for all of about $25.00!

From what I have heard I think they are cashing out as the old boy "may" own the property but don't quote me on that. I am quite sure though that it DOES have to do with the land being developed that Nikka is on.

Lots of rumours flying around but have also heard the sons may be trying to rescue the business but again that is hearsay. I can only assume it would be to move to a new location.

Vladimir Poutine
10-17-2014, 12:59 PM
Might have to travel to their store in Steveston........?

That's the one that's closing. They closed the Powell St store a number of years ago.

Salty
10-17-2014, 01:17 PM
We've got a little gem out here in several island towns called Reddin Net there's one in pt Hardy. The business was formed 100% around commercial fishing but they never shy from sporty's coming in. Awesome for heavy line, traps, old school plugs and lures, knives and stuff. I bought a traditional style yellow cedar handle stainless boat gaff that would have been 50 bucks all day long in any sport fishing shop, if you could find one. Blew the dust off the price tag it was 24.99 mind you some were clear over 30! lol

lip_ripper00
10-17-2014, 01:33 PM
Aaaaaaa crap! was my go to store as well, their is a reddin net on no2 rd that does sell fishing gear, but not the selection Nikka has.

Salty
10-17-2014, 01:37 PM
Wish I would have got to see the Nikka store, just a memory now I guess :(

MB_Boy
10-17-2014, 01:57 PM
Hey Guys,

Just a heads up if you're looking for a tackle fix out that way. Although Pacific Net and Twine is a smaller store they have a warehouse on this side and if you've seen the size of their operation in Parkesville you'll see what they carry. They are apparently going to be expanding that location as well from what I was told.

Parkesville has every bit of selection that Nikka had.....and then some. Great business as well although their store in Steveston right now is not the size of what Nikka is/was.