PDA

View Full Version : havalon knife

natebavis
10-16-2014, 08:25 PM
I recently purchased a Havalon replaceable blade knife. I had high hopes due to advertising/youtube videos of actual skinning/hbc member posts. I have to say i am very disappointed in my purchase. I have gutted and skinned 3 deer this past 10 days and have snapped, popped off atleast 5-8 blades. I found them sharp for only a few minutes then quite the struggle. Shockey says he can do a whole buffalo on 1 blade. I disagree. anyone find the same? or better experience? thanks, nate

Big Hoss
10-16-2014, 08:30 PM
Never had any blades break or fall off but was disappointed that it took 3 blades to skin a moose last week. With everything I had read was expecting to do easily do the job with one blade

The Dawg
10-16-2014, 08:30 PM
I skinned an 8' boar grizzly this spring on 2 blades with no issue.

Dont use them for cutting joints, or prying at all. They are not meant for that.

Also get replacement blades from a medical center- they are much higher quality I find.

skibum
10-16-2014, 08:33 PM
Just one deer with mine and had no problems. Gutted and Quartered it with one blade.

When I first got it, I played with it a bit carving wood on the boat never had a blade pop. But could see how the blade could snap if you were to pry with it but I would be pissed even if I saw someone prying with my good fixed blade

Skull Hunter
10-16-2014, 08:38 PM
I think I went through 2 or 3 blades on my last animal. Have certainly snapped a few blades over the years, but I don't think that's a flaw. I probably shouldn't be trying to cut through the joints with it, but I do. To each their own I guess, but I wouldn't head out hunting without mine.

RambleOn
10-16-2014, 08:40 PM
Just tried mine for the first time worked awesome, one blade cruised through the whole process debone etc. Blades are in tight, almost too tight but not coming out. Only frustration is the cleaning afterwards. Lots of tight nooks and Cranny's. They seem to be very factory made. Probably varying levels of quality out there.

Wentrot
10-16-2014, 08:41 PM
Learn how to use it and you will love it. Its not a pry bar!

rifleman
10-16-2014, 08:41 PM
havalons are great for skinning, caping, cleaning skulls & removing eyes. I'm sure they are not meant to be used for gutting & cutting up game. The blades are thin, therefore not very strong. They do stay sharp but like any blade they dull over time. Take your steel & run it over the blade to sharpen it for longer use. I use a #22 blade with a scalpel handle. Way cheaper....

hunter1993ap
10-16-2014, 08:59 PM
i can do an elk without breaking the blade, but it only takes one slip to pop a blade. no big deal as there cheap. I do like my havalon, and the real beauty is its light.

mikeboehm
10-16-2014, 09:05 PM
ive skinned my last 3 deer with 1 blade, including my saskatchewan whitetail last year

srupp
10-16-2014, 09:13 PM
Hmm used mine for bears, moose, deer, pronghorn....not the best for pronghorn thin skinned capes..ooops..dangerously sharp needing extra caution...as has been said its a cutting tool not one for prying..does wonderful on caping bear heads, stone sheep capes..
Hmm I used 2 blades last week on a 4 pt mulie...could have done it with one..sevond one speeded up the process..6 years no serious issues still have 80 or so blades..
Cheers
Steven

.330 Dakota
10-16-2014, 09:16 PM
I just bought a new version from Outdoor Edge,,much wider blade, very strong, really nice knife,,came with 6 blades, and a sheath, for $60

Mountain Hunter
10-16-2014, 09:16 PM
Learn how to use it and you will love it. Its not a pry bar!

I agree wholeheartedly, great tool.

Use a heavy sharp knife for initially making cuts through thick hide and the joints, etc. Havalon for everything else that is soft, like a hot knife through butter!

I do find that the tip gets dull after caping and using the tip a lot but the rest of the blade remains fairly sharp for some time.

adriaticum
10-16-2014, 09:18 PM
It's an ok knife.
Not sharper than other blades and doesn't cut much better than othe knives but its light and dont need a sharpener. I still carry my other knives as well.

Andrewh
10-16-2014, 09:36 PM
It's an ok knife.
Not sharper than other blades and doesn't cut much better than othe knives but its light and dont need a sharpener. I still carry my other knives as well.

don't try and tell people that you can get a sharper blade than a surgical edge... Out to lunch if you think a Buck knife is comparable in terms of sharpness.

They work very well, done a sheep skinning/deboning/cape and two bucks this season with 5 blades total. My box of 100 blades should last a few years.

sarg
10-16-2014, 09:46 PM
i have to agree with u on the blades snapping, i snapped 2 blades skinning a moose this year, but it stayed sharp the hole time, the frist blade skinned my spring black bear and half a moose and was still good until it snapped,

Wentrot
10-16-2014, 09:50 PM
It's an ok knife.

You never cease to amaze me.

lol..

saltybuck
10-16-2014, 09:53 PM
Used one two weeks ago on moose. Took 2 blades to get to hung/game bag stage, but used gut hook for initial opening up. Blades did not break or fall out. Prefer the larger model and bright orange is handy so your not losing it in the grass, brush, dark, stepping on it, etc.

huntcoop
10-16-2014, 10:01 PM
...still have 80 or so blades...

It's amazing what happens to get put in the bus when restocking at the hospital :lol:

adriaticum
10-16-2014, 10:07 PM
don't try and tell people that you can get a sharper blade than a surgical edge... Out to lunch if you think a Buck knife is comparable in terms of sharpness.

They work very well, done a sheep skinning/deboning/cape and two bucks this season with 5 blades total. My box of 100 blades should last a few years.

Surgical steel doesn't mean anything in terms of grading steel. Buck knives are too thick but my swiss army and my leatherman are equally sharp and hold the edge better than the havalon.
I am not saying havalon is bad, I'm just saying its features are overblown.The idea that "we shouldn't even test the sharpness of the blade" is a cute marketing ploy.
I think its a good knife and it has its advantages. That's why i have one

mikeboehm
10-16-2014, 10:16 PM
sharpest blade ive ever used for skinning. work great end of story. i have 2 of them.

avadad
10-16-2014, 10:19 PM
Surgical steel doesn't mean anything in terms of grading steel. Buck knives are too thick but my swiss army and my leatherman are equally sharp and hold the edge better than the havalon.
I am not saying havalon is bad, I'm just saying its features are overblown.The idea that "we shouldn't even test the sharpness of the blade" is a cute marketing ploy.

With a comment like this it leads me to believe that you have never used a havalon. Hands down it is the best knife I have ever used since I started hunting 35 years ago. For anyone who is considering getting one of these knives, do it, you won't be disappointed.

BRvalley
10-16-2014, 10:20 PM
it's a great knife IMO, not a "do all" knife but great for skinning, trimming, cutting not prying...it's earned its keep in my pack....always carry a heavy fixed blade, folding jack knife and the havalon

you can get a thicker blade also, 60A and 60XT

adriaticum
10-16-2014, 10:23 PM
With a comment like this it leads me to believe that you have never used a havalon. Hands down it is the best knife I have ever used since I started hunting 35 years ago. For anyone who is considering getting one of these knives, do it, you won't be disappointed.

I do have it and i have used it.
I butchered 6 rabbits with 1 blade and i am scratching my nose with the sharp edge of the blade right now.

Sleep Robber
10-16-2014, 10:27 PM
I just bought a new version from Outdoor Edge,,much wider blade, very strong, really nice knife,,came with 6 blades, and a sheath, for $60

Is this the one ??

http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Edge-RB-20-6-Blades-Orange/dp/B00CHSM2FE/ref=pd_cart_recs_6_p?ie=UTF8&refRID=1WGJJB6ZRHW1GGS20WBH

Sofa King
10-16-2014, 10:36 PM
I didn't realize they were made by outdoor edge.
my favourite knife for deer is their game skinner, would never go out without it.
and you couldn't break it with a sledge.
the havalon seems amazing for it's main use, caping, etc.
I'd never want to use a knife though that can break easily, not cool when dealing with surgical blades.

adriaticum
10-16-2014, 10:40 PM
I didn't realize they were made by outdoor edge.
my favourite knife for deer is their game skinner, would never go out without it.
and you couldn't break it with a sledge.
the havalon seems amazing for it's main use, caping, etc.
I'd never want to use a knife though that can break easily, not cool when dealing with surgical blades.

Outdoor edge an havalon are two different companies making different knived. This outdoor edge knife has a gut hook and blade that interchange. Quite interesting

Sleep Robber
10-16-2014, 10:43 PM
What model of Havalon do you guys have and/or prefer ?? The Baracuta or Piranta ??

Looking to pick one up before my trip and would like to get the best one.

adriaticum
10-16-2014, 10:46 PM
I bought the piranta wish i bought barracuta. Bigger is my preference

Sofa King
10-16-2014, 10:48 PM

that's what she said.

srupp
10-16-2014, 10:50 PM
Hmmm only used the Piranta..great size for caping..still carry a custom fixed blade, Mqrty Beets or BogDog.
Steven

The Hermit
10-16-2014, 11:49 PM
I have a Piranta which I like for finer work and the Baracuta for heavier work AND fileting fish. You can buy them at WWW.vantagepoint-outfitters.com

SR80
10-17-2014, 06:50 AM

I think the piranta is better suited for you and rabbits...Man you post a lot!

Skull Hunter
10-17-2014, 06:51 AM
I've got the piranha, but I always carry an olfa knife with carpet cutting blades for initial cuts and a solid fixed blade as well which I'll switch to if I need to do any prying or heavier work (usually after I brake a havalon blade or something like that).

mcmullmar
10-17-2014, 07:07 AM
Skinning a deer was ok, not great and slick like the commercials. I still used my old Buck knife for the heavy work. I was disappointed with the blade life.

r106
10-17-2014, 07:11 AM
Bought a semi custom knife 6 months ago. Paid around 250$. Skinned and quartered a bear without touching up the blade. Even did some prying with it to pop the hip joint. 20 second touch up of the blade and it was back to shaving sharp. Should last a lifetime.

I wouldn't mind trying a havalon for just skinning/caping though

10-17-2014, 07:17 AM
I bought one this year and used it in September to break down my buddies elk. I was impressed. One blade lasted the entire process.

.330 Dakota
10-17-2014, 07:25 AM
Is this the one ??

http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Edge-RB-20-6-Blades-Orange/dp/B00CHSM2FE/ref=pd_cart_recs_6_p?ie=UTF8&refRID=1WGJJB6ZRHW1GGS20WBH

Looks like it,,this knife is much beefier than the Havalon

t-rexer
10-17-2014, 07:38 AM
Just used my havalon on our hunting trip. 4 1/2 deer skined with one blade. I'm impressed as is everyone else in the camp
highly recommend them

happyhunter
10-17-2014, 07:38 AM
I think its a good knife and it has its advantages. That's why i have one

Have you done a lot of big game with your leatherman? I just use mine to fix shit

natebavis
10-17-2014, 07:54 AM
good feed back. ill try and not give up on it yet. I think that outdoor edge one might be better with the support for interchangeable one. I guess i was just excited thinking the pinata would do everything like commercials. I like how light it is. Will try in conjunction with outdoor edge

Stone Sheep Steve
10-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Your touch will improve the more you use the knife.....but blades will always break.
You can save blades when they get dull and touch them up later, although they won't get back to new sharpness.

I use the 60XTs and found that #23's that I used to use with my scalpel handle fit my piranta. I prefer their contour over the 22's.

SSS

adriaticum
10-17-2014, 08:28 AM
Have you done a lot of big game with your leatherman? I just use mine to fix shit

Not a lot big game but some domestic.
I think what happened is i dulled the blade by cutting through bone a lot and joints. Because the blade is so thin it will dull on things like that much faster than thicker carbon steel.

snareman1234
10-17-2014, 08:35 AM
I've used my Havolon Edge exclusively this year and I've knocked apart 5 big game animals, 4 of which were quartered, deboned and caped. I use 2-3 blades to quarter, debone and knock the cape off the skull, and another 1-2 blades to flesh and turn eyes, lips, etc. The 5th animal was a WT doe, which I used one blade to gut and fully skin. They last a long time if you don't pry with the blades and keep them away from bone

emerson
10-17-2014, 09:18 AM
I used mine exclusively on a moose this year, very happy. Blades are cheap, sharpening another knife every 10 minutes is not for me. Get the bigger one though, I should have.

Phil A. Bowl
10-17-2014, 09:25 AM
Anyone use the bone saw blade? I think im gonna give it a try IF I luck out next week:-)

cuervosail
10-17-2014, 09:37 AM
I've seen the hype about Havalon knives and not that I was a bit skeptical but I had a smug look on my face. I was a guide in the Northwest Territories for more than 20 years. In that time, I skinned more than 100 caribou for clients using one of those yellow Olfa utility knives - common at any Home Depot, Rona, Crappy Tire, etc. The concept is the same - use a blade until it's dull and then put in a new one. No worries about snapping off a blade. After skinning a couple of moose a few weeks ago, I think I might've finally converted a couple of my hunting buddies to the idea. I was the only guy in a party of four that had a consistently sharp knife. Try it - you'll never go back.

Singleshotneeded
10-17-2014, 10:58 AM
I use mine for skinning, one blade for one buck, two blades for a moose. Use your hunting knife for anything that requires strength.

Clint_S
10-17-2014, 11:54 AM
Get a carbide "speedy sharp" from Can Tire ($7.50 on sale). 6 strokes puts an edge back on a real knife. You know, the ones that can actually touch bone, pry, whittle wood, open tin cans etc.
I have a havalon style and the only thing I think it's good for is slitting chickens throats at butchering time but that's just me.

Sofa King
10-17-2014, 12:41 PM
I've seen the hype about Havalon knives and not that I was a bit skeptical but I had a smug look on my face. I was a guide in the Northwest Territories for more than 20 years. In that time, I skinned more than 100 caribou for clients using one of those yellow Olfa utility knives - common at any Home Depot, Rona, Crappy Tire, etc. The concept is the same - use a blade until it's dull and then put in a new one. No worries about snapping off a blade. After skinning a couple of moose a few weeks ago, I think I might've finally converted a couple of my hunting buddies to the idea. I was the only guy in a party of four that had a consistently sharp knife. Try it - you'll never go back.
very true. one doesnt need some new fancy, shmancy item. theres already lots out there that work. a friend cut himself good with aroofing blade. the doctor didnt believe what he cut himself with, he couldnt believe how sharp and clean the cut was. and i know, ive sliced myself enough times with those hook blades. i keep a pack around for almost anything.

BugRock
10-17-2014, 12:42 PM
Love my Havalon...use it for everything and no animal comes out whole. If you hit lots a bone it will dull, but the blades are inexpensive and like others have said scalpel blades will fit as well. Blades do/will break but if you take your time they last. Light. All I carry in the backwoods. Peel out an elk backstrap like nothing and short quarter the hips with it too.

Sofa King
10-17-2014, 12:47 PM
cant see a havalon being very useful in a survival situation. no way would that be the only knife i would carry.

Ranger95
10-17-2014, 01:11 PM
Can't count the amount of fish the Baracuta filleted this salmon season - let's just say loads - (more than 300) on a packet of blades - the Pirantha has done at least a dozen deer since new - still on original pack of blades - value for money in anyone's language!

300win
10-17-2014, 01:19 PM
X2...........................
i use mine for skinning, one blade for one buck, two blades for a moose. Use your hunting knife for anything that requires strength.

sawmill
10-17-2014, 03:02 PM
I bought one(against my better judgment) and found it to be a cheap and flimsy piece of shit.
My REAL hunting knives are just as sharp and not made out of Chinese plastic.
I gave mine away to a guy I don`t like.

Whonnock Boy
10-17-2014, 03:09 PM
Been about 10 years for me using these. It's usually the tip that dulls, and you just snap the end off and she's as good as new. A moose or elk is no problem with one blade. Thought about getting a Havalon, but why bother? I already have what I need, and it's paid for.

yellow Olfa utility knives

Brian011
10-17-2014, 03:23 PM
I have an outdoor edge knife from eastmans as well as a havalon. I like the outdoor edge knife,it's similar but it seems a little stronger than the havalon, I skinned and deboned a deer with it this year and am very happy with it.

dime
10-17-2014, 09:55 PM
If you give a man a fish, he eats for a day, if you teach a man to fish he eats for a lifetime. Learn how to sharpen a knife and you will have a blade that lasts for 30 years. These replacement blades are for suckers, some guys are saying they have used 80 blades?!? A good two sided stone costs half that and will last you most of a lifetime.

Rob Chipman
10-17-2014, 11:10 PM
Just bought one for this last trip. Did a moose with two blades. Worked great. Even got the knees off easy. Broke the knife (not the blade) hacking through bear ribs this afternoon (Corb Lund? Tool for the Job? Yeah, people say that song's about me).

Oh well. I can break anything. It's a handy knife, cuts well and I'm going to see if I can fix the handle or return it.

srupp
10-18-2014, 01:26 AM
Hmmmm cheap plastic.? Buy the metal handle then everything is quality metal...however it is not a survival knife...the Bog Dog is with d2 steel and resperine handle..
Steven

sawmill
10-18-2014, 05:18 AM
Hmmmm cheap plastic.? Buy the metal handle then everything is quality metal...however it is not a survival knife...the Bog Dog is with d2 steel and resperine handle..
Steven

Never saw the metal version,just the Chinese orange plastic they show on T.V.Bought one and knew I was making a mistake.And,yes,it was a Hav.P.O.S in my opinion,definatley NOT a bush knife.
I carry a Ruko gut hook folder on my belt and 2 fixed blades in my daypack.And I have been known to hammer the back of the knife with a rock(gently) to get shit done.No room in my pack for something that won`t stand up to that.
For the money go buy a good utility knife with the snap off blade.Same shit and 1/4 the price.Just a fad.

325 wsm
10-18-2014, 06:43 AM
Im with Sawmill on this one. I use a real knife until the capping and then break out the olfa with the snap off blades. Havalon is an expensive gimmick.

Phil A. Bowl
10-18-2014, 10:30 AM
Its apersision tool. Thise who like them love them. Those who dont.. r wrong.. hahaha jk

10-18-2014, 10:31 AM
Waste of Money really compared to whats on the market now a day. Sure wont be purchasing one here. Been using the Same double blade Sharade for 36 years now with dozens and dozens of Critters, gutted, skinned, deboned etc.

Havalon is Hav-a-not

Mathil
10-18-2014, 11:29 AM
It seems everyone who loves them actually uses them for their intended purpose, and those who hate them try to pry joints apart and saw bone with them...

It's a tool, and like any tool it has a proper use. Use it in the wrong way and don't be surprised the tool doesn't perform how it's supposed to.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-18-2014, 11:43 AM
It seems everyone who loves them actually uses them for their intended purpose, and those who hate them try to pry joints apart and saw bone with them...

It's a tool, and like any tool it has a proper use. Use it in the wrong way and don't be surprised the tool doesn't perform how it's supposed to.

Exactly. A crescent wrench cannot do the job of a hammer(please don't ask me how I know this).

It's the only knife I take backpacking where every extra ounce is unwanted and every bit pack space is precious.

SSS

srupp
10-18-2014, 11:52 AM
Never saw the metal version,just the Chinese orange plastic they show on T.V.Bought one and knew I was making a mistake.And,yes,it was a Hav.P.O.S in my opinion,definatley NOT a bush knife.
I carry a Ruko gut hook folder on my belt and 2 fixed blades in my daypack.And I have been known to hammer the back of the knife with a rock(gently) to get shit done.No room in my pack for something that won`t stand up to that.
For the money go buy a good utility knife with the snap off blade.Same shit and 1/4 the price.Just a fad.

Hmmm they do come in a steel model stainless? Sometimes knives get dull, changing blades keeps ya going...without down time for sharpening...but not the best for pulling joints apart..
As for using a rock on your knife...try a piece of wood...called a baton...for spliting wood etc...taught this when teaching survival training..I use this with the survival knife Bog Dog with d2 steel does amazing...
I agree used as it should it wil zip open any animal, cape exceptionally well remove hides..it is sharp to the extreme takes up little room and 10 extra blades weigh nothing...used in conjunction with a good all purpose knife make up a fine combination for hunting outdoor..
Without trying it pretty hard to have an informed view? Those that have like them for intended use..
Cheers
Steven

Fred1
10-18-2014, 01:12 PM
Ah yes the famous Havalons... Just put one through the test... three moose gutted and 4 more skinned. I think its an over rated knife. Far better suited for smaller jobs, cleaning fish, doing capes, deer etc. As said you cant do any prying or hard cutting with the Havalon - its not designed for that. Now give the OUTDOOR EGDE RAZOR BLAZE a go!!! This one blows Havalon out of the water! Far more useful in the gutting and skinning phases. Great knife! I will still carry my Havalon and Razor Blaze, but the old Buck 119 is still my go to weapon for hard cutting, prying, hack and slash and utility use.

happyhunter
10-18-2014, 02:01 PM

Bingo! This knife is EXCEPTIONAL when used correctly IMO

shank
10-18-2014, 04:21 PM
i have the havalon bolt a little longer handle and thicker blade did 2 moose last week with no problems my nephew was using his buck knife and i
was watching him sharpen the damn thing while i was guttng and skinning it with the bolt ...no question the best knife if used right ...

Buck
10-18-2014, 06:33 PM
Gutted and skinned a big mulie with my Havalon Piranta last week .Impressive i thought .Not good for knuckles though.

Fisher-Dude
10-19-2014, 09:28 AM
It's amazing what happens to get put in the bus when restocking at the hospital :lol:

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Thats-Gold-Jerry-Gold-Kenny-Bania-Seinfeld-Quote.gif

I bought a Lansky for less $$$ than a Havalon. We always have KNIVES that can skin a moose and still shave your pubes for a night on the town. REAL knives, like Schrades, Kershaws, and Gerbers.

I don't need to slice my hand open on a scalpel when I'm stumbling around in a chest cavity at dusk with a flimsy Havalon.

goatdancer
10-19-2014, 09:43 AM
[QUOTE=Fisher-Dude;15546

I bought a Lansky for less $$$ than a Havalon. We always have KNIVES that can skin a moose and still shave your pubes for a night on the town. REAL knives, like Schrades, Kershaws, and Gerbers.

I don't need to slice my hand open on a scalpel when I'm stumbling around in a chest cavity at dusk with a flimsy Havalon.[/QUOTE]

Kershaws are great knives, as long as you buy one that's made in the US or Japan. The Chinese ones are crap.

andrewscag
10-19-2014, 09:55 AM
I use one blade per animal. The old one from the previous animal to gut, then a fresh one for the rest. Works for me. I can't see buying a knife with removable scalpel blades then using it with anything other than scalpel sharpness.

Jerlynn
10-19-2014, 09:58 AM
Just bring a small knife sharpener and run the blade over it a few times. I find "touching up" the sharpness a bit makes the blade easily last for a single animal.

Fisher-Dude
10-19-2014, 10:16 AM
Kershaws are great knives, as long as you buy one that's made in the US or Japan. The Chinese ones are crap.

Yup. Have an Black Horse (Japan) and I can't count how many animals I've processed with it over the past ~ 25 years.

Also have a couple of 40+ year old Moras that are still sharp as a razor and hold an edge for an entire elk or moose.

OOBuck
10-19-2014, 10:27 AM
4 deer one blade no problems.. like someone else was saying they not praybars

mtnmannbc
10-19-2014, 02:00 PM
Don't pry with the blades and don't cut hair and you will skin a lot with one blade. I have snapped blades but it was my fault. If you don't like the Piranta, check out the Outdoor Edge replacement blade knives, same idea, heavier blades and you can even flash an sharp edge on them in a pinch.

BCRiverBoater
10-27-2014, 12:41 PM
I have used many knives and would use nothing but a Havalon. I skinned and deboned to elk last year. One blade for each one no problem. Don't pry or do any joints. Use your old knife for that. And who cares if they snap or dull a few times per animal. The blades are dirt cheap. Everyone laughed at me last year when I brought out the little knife. When they watched it work they all wanted one. They must have sharpened their knives a half dozen times per animal.

Rob Chipman
10-27-2014, 01:45 PM
"... like someone else was saying they not praybars"

:-) x2

I used mine to cut through a bear's rib cage. Blade held up well. The other part of the knife busted!

Avalanche123
10-27-2014, 04:40 PM
havalons are great for skinning, caping, cleaning skulls & removing eyes. I'm sure they are not meant to be used for gutting & cutting up game.

What he said. I only use mine for the finer areas (ears, lips etc...) of caping an animal. I certainly wouldn't it to gut and skin a large game animal...wrong tool for the job IMHO.

Getbent
10-28-2014, 03:05 PM

Love this site...afternoon laugh