PDA

View Full Version : Cabelas tents

zpruden
10-16-2014, 10:50 AM
Dose anybody out there have any experience with either the cabelas big horn 3 or the Alakan 12x20 looking at getting one of them, Just wondering if its worth the money and how easy they are to set up take down ect

thanks in advance for any info

The Dawg
10-16-2014, 11:42 AM
Nap has the Alaknak.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/964/cabelas-ultimate-alaknak-tent

4 guys put it up in about 15 minutes, taking our time.

Was super easy, very roomy.

Definitely a nice tent for sure.

I imagine there others are the same quality.

Elkaholic
10-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Have used the hell out of a 12x12 Alaknak tent for the past 5 ish years. Great tent. Works well, stay super warm with the woodstove inside. It takes two of us 15 minutes to set it up. The first few times are always a little longer but after you get it down its nothing to setup. The wife and kids even loved camping in it as well. Nothing but good things to say about it.

11hunt11
10-16-2014, 02:25 PM
My uncle has one and we just borrowed it for a Moose hunt a couple weeks back . Had never set one up before but it was very quick and easy to set up. Very comfortable tent, when I do buy one it will be that tent. Hope this helps

Cordillera
10-16-2014, 08:23 PM
I Have had a bighorn for ten years and used it well. I has handled very strong winds above tree line, plus snow and everything else. It takes about twenty minutes to set up. The only downside of these single wall tents is condensation inside. You will get some dripping inside, especially if you have several wet hunters and gear drying out. A traditional canvass wall tent breathes better. The best way to combat the dripping is run the stove really hot and force the moisture out.

I needed something with poles,and not too heavy to fly in, so the bighorn for the bill. I am very happy with this tent.

Ambush
10-16-2014, 09:17 PM
Google Beckal Canvass and look at the 14X14 Eena TT. Single pole and only thirty five pounds. Add the fly which is another ten pounds.

I haven't had it out in cold weather yet but it stood up to the Wyoming winds without a shudder. Very roomy for two, OK with three and four would be tight.

danfloris
10-17-2014, 07:59 AM
I owned the 12x20. It was a great tent. The only negatives that I did find was the material. I realized the extra burn gaurd and floor gaurd is a must.
The other negative was the issue of heat. The walls are thin and made with a lot of built in vents. I found with mine it was either way to hot or way to cold inside.(in minus 10 weather and lower) I solved
this by just throwing a large tarp over the tent.
the last negative was if I decided to go out hunting alone. It was very easy for me to set up by myself don't get me wrong, but I was way to big! Hahahah.

with all the negatives aside.

This is tent was super easy to set up and if you are hunting with a crew of guys it's very comfortable to sleep in ( if you get the heating done right)

i would say say it's worth it to get. Pretty nice tent. I personally would like a smaller one next time just for easy of hunting alone.

dime
10-17-2014, 10:01 PM
I have a bighorn 2 and my buddy has a alaknak 12x20, both are great tents. The Alaknak will sleep 3 comfortably, the bighorn two comfortably if everyone is in cots. You could sleep more, but we like to have room for guns, gear and a table/chairs. Both are easy to set up and take down, mine is easier, I can do it in 15 minutes by myself not including cots and interior stuff.

zpruden
10-18-2014, 01:14 PM
Thanks everyone for your input its good to be able to talk to people before putting down a 1000 on a tent

nap
10-19-2014, 06:08 AM
Nap has the Alaknak.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/964/cabelas-ultimate-alaknak-tent

4 guys put it up in about 15 minutes, taking our time.

Was super easy, very roomy.

Definitely a nice tent for sure.

I imagine there others are the same quality.

I have found it to be a great tent, it actualy takes no more time with 2 guys as 4, Simple to follow directions to follow factory sown into carry bag, 2 guys 15 minutes. I think like anything else, if it is taken care of it will last for many years.:-D

killman
10-19-2014, 08:47 AM
Yes but! Can you get it back in the bag???

1/2 slam
10-19-2014, 03:30 PM
Yes but! Can you get it back in the bag???
No problem.......

E.V.B.H.
10-19-2014, 08:13 PM
Have had a bighorn for around 8 years. Total time in it is around 5 months with all the trips added up. Never had a single problem, zippers are good no rips or tears, everything is like brand new still. Get the vestibule, it's not the same without it.

MB73
08-24-2020, 01:19 AM
Thanks for your comments. The comments on this thread are as honest as you will find. The reviews on the Cabela's site were excellent as well. This post factored into my buddy and I splitting on a 12x12! Can't wait to bring it Bison hunting this year.

Elkaholic
08-24-2020, 12:16 PM
Have used the hell out of a 12x12 Alaknak tent for the past 5 ish years. Great tent. Works well, stay super warm with the woodstove inside. It takes two of us 15 minutes to set it up. The first few times are always a little longer but after you get it down its nothing to setup. The wife and kids even loved camping in it as well. Nothing but good things to say about it.

Another 6 years down the road the 12x12 has finally started to fail on myself. That is 11 years of hard use by me and I bought this tent used too!!. So who knows how long the guys before me had it.

Elkaholic
08-24-2020, 12:17 PM
Thanks for your comments. The comments on this thread are as honest as you will find. The reviews on the Cabela's site were excellent as well. This post factored into my buddy and I splitting on a 12x12! Can't wait to bring it Bison hunting this year.

You guys will have the best time camping on hunting trips now. Love riding out the bad weather (especially white out blizzard) with the wood stove on max and the doors wide open.