PDA

View Full Version : got lucky again 2014 6x5

sparky300winmag
10-15-2014, 09:14 PM
Well, the elk gods were with me again this year. My son and I went up a day early to set up elk camp and the rest of the gang were showing up the next night late. My son and I went out the next morning and we saw some cows and at least a 5 pt bull just couldn't get down to him to see how big he really was. We went back to camp and got firewood and decided to head out again around 5pm , as we were heading out my friends son showed up so I sent him with my son and I went on the quad. Well I sent them to my favourite spot and I went up another road. I worked my way to the top and glassed for awhile then decided to head back down to check out another spot. I got down to a landing on a switch back and figured I should clean the grouse I had shot earlier. So I cleaned the grouse and was throwing my stuff back on the quad and thought I had better throw out a bugle. Well within seconds there was a reply not more than 100yds in the trees. as I looked up in surprise I saw a bull heading up a bank in a clear patch, but just saw him for a second. I bugled again and he replied, but so did another bull prob not more than150 yrds behind and to the left of the 1st bull, but he sounded bigger. I hunkered down behind a log and kept bugling trying to get the closer bull to come out , but he just bugled back and came alittle closer but wouldn't come out where I could see him. All the while the bigger bull would scream as well. I called my son on the radio and told him to get up there cause I had two bulls going. I decided I better make a move since darkness was coming. I worked my way up an old skidder rd and tried to flank the bulls and get a higher vantage point.As I moved up I kept bugling. A bugle sounded only 50yrds away in the trees. I strained to try and see the bull through the thick brush, then I saw trees moving and coming in front of me . I quickly threw up my rifle waiting for something to step out.. Out steps the smaller bull . He stands broadside looking at me and I'm looking at him through my scope counting tines. He had the 6th pt but I figured it was too close to not being counted as one.So I let him walk away. I moved up the rd a little farther and kept buggling and I saw movement about 75 yrds and there was the other bull cresting a small knoll, but in the trees. I could see he definitely split but he was moving to where the rd rounded a corner and out of site. I kept going around the corner and there was the the bull walking away from me down the skidder rd. I could see 6 and as he turned quartering away I shot. He lept off the rd into some brush. A cow stepped out and started walking down the rd away from me then the bull stepped out and started following. I quickly reloaded and put my rifle up again to shoot. CLICK.. I rammed the bolt back and no shells. I only had one shell in the clip when I put it in. I frantically searched my pockets for my other clip, but it was back in my jacket on the quad. I was panicking not sure if I should leave the bull and run down get my clip or just stay with him and watch him to see if he lays down. I looked down the way I came and there was my buddys son walking up towards me. I waved him to hurry up cause I was going to use his gun, but as I watched him running up I noticed he didn't have a gun but his bow. (his dad had his rifle and hadn't showed up yet). I told him to keep the bull in sight and I ran down to my quad , then with labouring steps worked my way back to where I had left them. They were gone , so I followed the rd to the end , then I heard some hoochie mama calls close together so I knew it was Cory. I worked my way across the brush until I saw him and he frantically motioned that the bullwas down a little draw. I got higher and then the bull stepped out behind some Christmas trees. I let him have it and he bucked in the air and headed down into the christmas trees crashing as he went. I had to put another one in him to finish him off. It was getting dark fast so I gutted him and we went back to camp as my buddies were showing up any minute. When they showed up at 9pm we decide we better get the elk out that night because it was quite warm and we didn't want it to spoil. We didn't get it out till 3am , but I'm glad we did.
A few days later I had 3 bulls bugling and one was only 75 yrds in the bush but wouldn't come out and my buddy couldn't get close enough to even see it. My son was busted on one of them as it circled around to wind him and all he saw was a rack running into the thick brush. Awsome having them bugling!http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee157/sparky300winmag/20146x5.jpg (http://s233.photobucket.com/user/sparky300winmag/media/20146x5.jpg.html)

Wrayzer
10-15-2014, 09:20 PM
Congrats on the success, sounds exciting. No better sound in the bush than a screaming elk only yards away.

boxhitch
10-16-2014, 03:18 PM
Lots of action there , a good positive report thanks

itsy bitsy xj
10-16-2014, 04:17 PM
Great story and really well written

congrats on the elk

luckofthedraw
10-16-2014, 04:34 PM
Congrats. Elk slayer.

tayleoscar
10-16-2014, 07:12 PM
Congrats on a nice bull!!!

kennyj
10-16-2014, 08:09 PM
Sounds like a pretty exciting day out there. Nice bull.
kenny