PDA

View Full Version : How to Hunt Bison

bcmulie
10-15-2014, 04:56 PM
So after applying every year since BC had an LEH draw for bison, I finally pulled a tag this year. Needless to say, I'm stoked about this hunt. Unfortunately, I also know nothing about hunting bison, never having done so before. I'm hoping that some of our members who have hunted bison in northern BC will be willing to help out those of us who have pulled this once-in-a-lifetime tag in 2014. Specifically, I'm looking for "how to" information on hunting bison, including:

-how to tell a bull from a cow (I'm sure that will get some good responses!)
-how to tell a bull track from a cow track
-techniques: should I be covering country to find tracks, spot and stalk, still hunting?
-where are the best spots to find bison? (terrain, elevation, ground cover)
-how they react to hunting pressure
-how to judge a trophy bison
-etc

And of course, feel free to tell me about your honey holes - I've drawn the Dec 6-20 hunt in the Sikanni. Make sure you PM me, though, as BigBoar will no doubt be monitoring this thread! :mrgreen:

Thanks for any help!

bcmulie

toad
10-15-2014, 07:19 PM
I was working on the 171 road last week and there was a Bison Hide left on lease...not much help but enough to get you excited:) I still have about 4 packages of buffalo left from mine I got mine behind the blueberry ranch.

Ry151
10-15-2014, 10:07 PM
Do not take your rifle into heated tents/cabins once you start hunting in the cold! Leave it in your truck at night because the condensation will get into the action causing it to freeze and not allow the rifle to fire.

MOL
10-16-2014, 08:27 AM
When I hunted them in 2011, in -39 C weather, after riding around all day on the sled, the rifle tended to get a extremely snowy by the end of the day. Once we returned to the wall tent, I would hang my gun up in the wall tent and it would drip dry for a few hours and was ready to go in the morning. I agree with Ry151, make sure you expect you rifle to get cold and snowy, and make sure it is well oiled and dries out if you bring it inside. And check it regularly! Maybe a cloth cover or gun case is in order, I like to carry mine on my back. Good luck!

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb337/mol08/IMG_0005.jpg (http://s1200.photobucket.com/user/mol08/media/IMG_0005.jpg.html)

bcmulie
10-16-2014, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. Great pic MOL!

Bugle M In
10-16-2014, 03:43 PM
when hunting look uphill but never downhill for bison!
unless u can drive down to it.

boxhitch
10-16-2014, 07:51 PM
MOL , you have the right sleds for the job , nice work horses Well , 2 of 3 at least

bc traper
10-16-2014, 08:08 PM
When are you going?

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
10-16-2014, 08:10 PM
Brake clean your actions and triggers of all grease and oil ... -30 you will have miss fires with oiled and greased actions and firing pins

Alfonz
10-17-2014, 06:18 AM
I have hunted bison several times but have only managed to get two. My advice would be try to find bison sign and when you come across crap the is not frozen shut the snow machine off and walk them down. Once you got them killed go back and get the snow machine.
Also most forgot, if you shoot them and they drop make sure they are dead! I seen a couple of performances where they seem to come back to life after you think you have killed them and they run off and the tracking begins. Remember to that they are slab sided and you went to hit in the lower half or even lower third.

Skull Hunter
10-17-2014, 06:42 AM
Curious to know how people are caring for their meat in the late season hunts. Are you guys trying to get the meat processed as soon as possible or trying, somehow to find a place to hang it without it freezing?

Stone Sheep Steve
10-17-2014, 08:03 AM
Curious to know how people are caring for their meat in the late season hunts. Are you guys trying to get the meat processed as soon as possible or trying, somehow to find a place to hang it without it freezing?

With a late season bison hunt you have to cut in to workable chunks or you will end up with a 1500lb frozen carcass. Try moving that.

No need to hang it during the hunt as the pieces will frozen in no time....so you won't enjoy the benefits of hanging.
But, of course, you can hang it when you get home.

SSS

300win
10-17-2014, 09:49 AM
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=deltabison.identification (http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=deltabison.identification) FYI: From past knowlege the bison do not like quad,snowmachine noise, if you are not on horseback spot and stock is the best way. Machines get you on site then follow the tracks from there(snow).

Good luck

JustinG
10-17-2014, 01:02 PM
Just came back from a successful trip. Try the links below. Found them very useful especially the Yukon site that details Male vs. Female video:

Yukon Gov Site: http://www.env.gov.yk.ca/hunting-fishing-trapping/bisonhunt.php

Alaska Gov Site: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=deltabison.main

I suggest you get off the ATV's as much as possible and make sure your group is 3-4 guys.

bcmulie
10-19-2014, 07:08 PM
Thanks guys. Some great info.

bcmulie
10-19-2014, 07:20 PM
I should add - keep the tips coming.

bctraper, I'm heading up on Dec 10.

bc traper
10-19-2014, 07:40 PM
Will be there Nov 1 st Good luck

Pablothemagnificent
10-19-2014, 09:45 PM
Hi BCMulie.
I've been fortunate to get a bison draw twice - in 2003 and in 2011. Both draws were in the Halfway area, south of where your draw is. Both draws were for the last half of December. I was successful the first time but didn't even see a bison the second time. I learned a couple of things: a. Weather conditions can change drastically and quickly. If you can manage it, bring both a quad (with chains) and a snowmobile. b. If there is a lot of hunting pressure, go for some good hikes in more remote areas. Bring a friend, compass and GPS. c. When you spot bison, you're probably going to see a fair-sized herd rather than individual bison. I saw 70 bison together on a hillside at the end of the second day of hunting - too late to act on it - but I was back there at first light the next morning and hiking in 15 inches of snow. It took 45 minutes to get close and when I got to them, they had bedded down. This part is important: bison set up sentries facing out from the herd, so be very slow and intentional about your movements. I had visions of selecting a bull in the herd, but the reality was that I had to take what presented itself when they got up and started feeding. I ended up with a 3 year old dry cow. But I was elated. Have someone keep a close eye on the bison you select, because once you squeeze the trigger it can be quite confusing who is who once they start moving. Fortunately for me, one shot did the trick. c. Bring a big caliber rifle for backup in case you get charged. One of the guys had a 4570 with us, just in case. d. Lastly, have lots of help for getting the bison gutted and quartered and moved. Days in the north are pretty short in December.

luckofthedraw
10-19-2014, 11:04 PM
Hi BCMulie.
I've been fortunate to get a bison draw twice - in 2003 and in 2011. Both draws were in the Halfway area, south of where your draw is. Both draws were for the last half of December. I was successful the first time but didn't even see a bison the second time. I learned a couple of things: a. Weather conditions can change drastically and quickly. If you can manage it, bring both a quad (with chains) and a snowmobile. b. If there is a lot of hunting pressure, go for some good hikes in more remote areas. Bring a friend, compass and GPS. c. When you spot bison, you're probably going to see a fair-sized herd rather than individual bison. I saw 70 bison together on a hillside at the end of the second day of hunting - too late to act on it - but I was back there at first light the next morning and hiking in 15 inches of snow. It took 45 minutes to get close and when I got to them, they had bedded down. This part is important: bison set up sentries facing out from the herd, so be very slow and intentional about your movements. I had visions of selecting a bull in the herd, but the reality was that I had to take what presented itself when they got up and started feeding. I ended up with a 3 year old dry cow. But I was elated. Have someone keep a close eye on the bison you select, because once you squeeze the trigger it can be quite confusing who is who once they start moving. Fortunately for me, one shot did the trick. c. Bring a big caliber rifle for backup in case you get charged. One of the guys had a 4570 with us, just in case. d. Lastly, have lots of help for getting the bison gutted and quartered and moved. Days in the north are pretty short in December.

nice first hand advice

David Heitsman
10-20-2014, 02:18 PM
Pull the windpipe too as the hide and fur is so think that you can expect them to heat and rot from the inside out before they will freeze. My cow took three poorly place shots from the .375 and a few years later my very old bull expired with one double lung through and through at 30 yards with same rifle. One was excellent table fare the whole winter, the other I had to send the backstraps for sausage, the rest pretty much inedible. You can choose.

Alfonz
10-20-2014, 08:12 PM
Good point about the table fair of bison. The two that I got were both cows and fine to eat. Young bulls were fine too. One buddy got a real old huge bull.
He ended up with a pallet load of questionable burger. Most of it being like unwanted kittens, free to a good home!

HuntNmemories
10-20-2014, 11:00 PM
some great advice, hopefully I'll get a chance at one too. Good luck on your hunt!!

GoatGuy
10-21-2014, 12:12 AM
most of the draw holders will be "road hunting". Find a vantage and glass. The bison seem to be really good at being just out of sight/hearing. Find them on the fringes of treeline and meadows where the hunters aren't pounding with their rigs.

44inchStone
10-21-2014, 07:55 AM
My Bull was a big one. I chose to do the gutless method and worked out the best for my situation.
Every bit of meat was taken except the ribs and even then we cut the meat between them and put them in a bag. The ribs are HUGE and alot of weight when you have to carry it off a mountain.
Tenderloin was cut out by rolling him back onto the gutpile, cutting the last 4 ribs off and exposing them. Easy peasy and way less weight. Bone keep the heat in for sure. These animals are HUGE, especially a decent bull. Getting him cooled down is the weather is mild is most important.
The Bronto size hip bones will keep the heat in for over a day maybe two. That equals bone sour.
take lots of help and meat bags. I used 9 bags for mine and they were NOT light.
Good luck. If ya need more help just PM me.

Trevorg
10-21-2014, 10:50 AM
Headed up on nov.1st. Any info on current conditions?

bc kid
10-21-2014, 11:24 AM
Try and call Mike and Dixie Hammet a call if you Have a extra 1000 bucks 250 412 5209. But if you plan on doing it by camp the bison will be up the valley look for sign and expect to walk, and walk. Dont forget Chains for your truck to get out of at 8 mile hill. They Can be anywhere that time of year all depends on the hunting pressure they like to hide way in the back.

bc kid
10-22-2014, 11:21 AM
Rain and little snow road in is slimy. About +one today.

bcmulie
12-05-2014, 04:42 PM
Less than a week to go until I head up north for my hunt, so I thought I'd bump this thread to the top. Anyone have any last minute bison hunting tips for me?

srupp
12-05-2014, 04:50 PM
Good luck, be safe, take lots of photos

Cheers
Srupp

ajeatoo
12-05-2014, 07:37 PM
My husband just pulled a nice cow out of there last week, I will have him (or me most likely) message you with some info since there is not allot of info for the Sikanni area compared to pink mountain.

Actually he just said he will give you his number so you can give him a call, not tomorrow as he out looking to tag out on Mulies lol. None the less I will send you a pm a bit later this eve after dinner.

BCrams
12-05-2014, 08:36 PM
My uncle and his partner just returned home last week with 2 buffalo from the Sikanni and a whitetail on way home. I also had the draw up Sikanni a few years back.

Have you got a game plan where to focus your search? GG said it. The buff are conditioned to the machines and you need a slightly different game plan than simply cruising up and down the main trail.

bcmulie
12-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Thanks ajeatoo. Congrats to your husband on his bison, and good luck to him on muleys.

bcmulie
12-05-2014, 08:39 PM
My uncle and his partner just returned home last week with 2 buffalo from the Sikanni and a whitetail. I also had the draw up Sikanni a few years back.

Have be you got a game plan where to focus your search?

Hey Greg, yes we have a plan. I've spoken to a few people who have been in the area, as well as the CO, and the guy I'm going with previously had a tag there. We're staying at the Hammett's lodge.

That said, if you or your uncle have any tips or suggestions to offer, I'm all ears. You can't have too much info!

Blainer
12-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Good luck bcmulie
I look forward to the pictures.
oh ya, and good luck to your buddy as well.

Buck
12-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Watch the bone sour We got ours late in the afternoon and had to leave it gutted and hide off overnight in minus 30.We had some bone soured meat.If you can ...split it in half.. you need a 18 to 20 inch blade to get through the hump.Don't forget to roll the hide while soft up or you will be packing a a large plywood sheet out ...LOL. And have a good tobbagon to get out with.

ajeatoo
12-05-2014, 08:53 PM
What they say is true, defiantly skin, fold hide to take back and quarter the thing right away. My husband and his buddy had to go back the next morning to get the rest out as they shot it at about 3pm. Be prepared to cover allot of ground. I'll send you a pm with my hubby's number shortly. Hope you are successful!!

BCrams
12-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Hammets lodge is a great stay and worth the cost.

Fire me a PM.

BiG Boar
12-05-2014, 10:34 PM
Just shoot any bison you see. They are super hard to find and very elusive. Don't shoot one unless it's on the road though. They are very heavy. If you see a giant, let your partner shoot it. They are tough eating. Have fun, its a cheap hunt, and by my experience you win a tag statistically every 4 years.

bcmulie
12-05-2014, 11:19 PM
Just shoot any bison you see. They are super hard to find and very elusive. Don't shoot one unless it's on the road though. They are very heavy. If you see a giant, let your partner shoot it. They are tough eating. Have fun, its a cheap hunt, and by my experience you win a tag statistically every 4 years.

I'm planning to trick my partner into shooting the first cow we see, so that he can then help me find a monster bull. Should be pretty easy to do - he's the kind of guy who thinks this is a cheap hunt you can go on every 4 years! :lol:

gone hunting
12-06-2014, 12:01 AM
WOW...we're there for the second half of January. I'm all in for the camaraderie...man against the elements, 40 below and I don't give a f-ck etc. but I'm looking forward to next year when we don't have a buffalo tag so we can go moose hunting....something I know how to do.

bcmulie
12-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Good luck on your trip gone hunting. It will be an amazing adventure hunting bison, but I know what you mean. There's a lot of planning and preparation that goes into this trip when you haven't done it before. And it's really cut into my muley hunting time!

toad
12-08-2014, 01:32 PM
There were 2 bison on the road last within a couple kms north of pink mountain, and a few caribou on the road at the bucking horse rd turnoff