PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Bowen Island Rod & Gun Club - Guidance?

Padron
10-15-2014, 01:39 PM
Howdy all.

I've lived on Bowen Island for a number of years now, and while the island certainly has a certain 'hippy vibe' to it, I've been pleasantly surprised how positively the large majority of people have responded to learning that I hunt. In fact, I have been asked by no fewer than a dozen men and women to take them on their first hunt.

For this reason, I'm toying with the idea of starting a Rod & Gun club on Bowen, with the purpose of bringing together outdoorsmen in the community, as well as to provide the resources and support to those men, women and children that may be interested in hunting and fishing but not know where to start.

My question for you guys... has anybody gone through the process of setting something like this up? Any suggestions for resources?

One of the first activities I would like to do would be to bring out an instructor to offer CORE and PAL courses. Anybody know if one that might be willing to do this?

Thanks for your help.

Padron

Evenweight
10-15-2014, 01:57 PM
The was on that held meetings at the hatchery. Im sorry I am not aware who may still be a member.

Padron
10-15-2014, 02:06 PM
Evenweight.

Thanks. It is my understanding that the one that met at the Hatchery no longer exists.

P.

Padron
10-15-2014, 02:10 PM
Now that I think about it... the organization that was formerly the Rod and Gun Club is now the Bowen Island Fish and Wildlife Club. The group focuses on conservation and education, rather than fishing and hunting.

Gateholio
10-15-2014, 02:32 PM
That's what most local clubs do. They just happen to be comprised of the people that care most about conservation, which is hunters and anglers.

Padron
10-15-2014, 02:43 PM
Gatehouse... yes, I understand this, and am very aware of the overlapping interests of outdoorsmen and conservationists. My point was that the current club on Bowen is primarily focused on activities such as stocking the local salmon rivers (which is very important), rather than on encouraging people to get involved in hunting and fishing. From what I've heard, the children dumping buckets of salmon fry through the Fish and Wildlife Club are not being encouraged to then pick up fishing rods.

MB_Boy
10-15-2014, 03:14 PM
To begin.......before committing too much time/effort to it as it is a relatively small community is gauge your interest. Start with an ad in whatever local island news/information paper that may exist or put a notice up on a local community board inviting to meeting about the possibility. No sense in going through a pile of effort with any sorts of registration that may be required or anything to that effect if there really is no interest.

You just never know though with lots of the "hippity dippitys" getting into the idea of providing food for themselves....good organic food of all kinds from plant to animal proteins.

adriaticum
10-15-2014, 03:27 PM
PM fowl language and foxton gundogs, they may have to input.

Salty
10-15-2014, 03:37 PM
The first thing I'd do is approach the existing group with your ideas. If they do not want to support shooting and killing things then start anew. I've seen this before where there has been split off groups where traditional fish and game clubs have gone all to conservation and fishing but not hunting at all by design. Campbell river comes to mind. I think there's the BC societies act or something like that that can guide you through and register a new non profit club if you need to go that route.

aggiehunter
10-16-2014, 09:37 AM
don't pigeon hole yourself and call it a rod and gun club..lots of hippies like archery....

J_T
10-16-2014, 09:59 AM
don't pigeon hole yourself and call it a rod and gun club..lots of hippies like archery.... I agree, it can be a softer/smarter 'sell'. Conservation, quality and small island hunting has a safety component to it as well. Put on an archery 3D to expose people in a way they might not have imagined.

I was involved in the formation of a BCWF affiliate club about 15 years ago. PM if you want some input.

Gateholio
10-16-2014, 03:49 PM
What are the shooting regs on Bowen these days? We used to shoot lots over there in the late 80s but IIRC it got much more restrictive.

Padron
10-16-2014, 04:08 PM
Gatehouse, there is no shooting on Bowen. It is illegal to discharge a firearm on the island. Bow hunting is restricted to a recurve used on private property. This was apparently put into effect after an arrow ended up in a car door parked in the ferry line-up. So basically... no hunting.

Argali
10-16-2014, 06:33 PM
Not sure if 3-letter words like "rod"and "gun" will cut it with your crowd. Maybe in Vanderhoof. Try "Bowen Organic Harvesters" or something like that if you want to boost potential membership.

Jagermeister
10-16-2014, 06:42 PM
I think you are flogging a dead horse. If you can not discharge a firearm on the island, there is little sense of starting an organization that would want to participate in that exact principle. Perhaps an archery oriented club, but then it too is restricted to the sole use of recurves.

boxhitch
10-16-2014, 07:24 PM
Why not investigate the local group ?
If the existing club is like most , it is run by those that have a personal interest and the fortitude to chase it. That doesn't mean they have a closed door to other ideas , just that those that show up have their hands full with what they want.
Our club as an example , welcomes anyone with an idea or discipline that they want to get behind and roll with , but tend to disregard those ideas from members about what we should do for them. Get on board for a while and try to build what you want. If that doesn't work , go to plan B.

boxhitch
10-16-2014, 07:27 PM
I think you are flogging a dead horseI disagree. Lots of things a group of hunters can do together without actually going hunting. Getting together with like-minded people is never a bad thing.

10-16-2014, 08:45 PM
Hand Out Free Hippy Whiskey to all that sign up and join ..... you'll get lots of support .......

good luck over thar