PDA

View Full Version : Considering not winterizing the boat. Thoughts?

andrewscag
10-15-2014, 10:55 AM
I use my boat pretty regularly through the year. Generally not a bunch of use December through Feb but the occasional day out. How often do you think I should run it if I decided not to winterize the 100 horse Suzuki outboard? I'd still run the carbs dry, stabilize the fuel, and store it with the motor down after every use. I can probably store it for Jan and Feb in our warehouse, but I think I'd be more likely to use it when I want to if I didn't have to refog the cylinders after use.

NitwiT
10-15-2014, 11:04 AM
is the warehouse heated?

andrewscag
10-15-2014, 11:11 AM
Warehouse is heated but not much. I usually leave it just warm enough not to freeze if I'm not there.

Drillbit
10-15-2014, 11:18 AM
It'll be fine.

Sofa King
10-15-2014, 11:33 AM
serious?
you are in the lower rainland, dude.
you don't even get winter.
a friend has his boat at the Kelowna yacht club, it stays in the water all year and is used throughout the winter, even more than the summer actually.

Sofa King
10-15-2014, 11:34 AM
many days, we have to smash our way through the ice with an axe to get out fishing.

andrewscag
10-15-2014, 12:47 PM
Rain = rust ;-)

I'm not worried about cracking the block but long periods of disuse are bad for mechanical stuff. Just curious what peoples experience has been and how often I'd have to run it to get the same protection as a full winterization.

Gone_Fishin_
10-15-2014, 01:20 PM
Rain = rust ;-)

I'm not worried about cracking the block but long periods of disuse are bad for mechanical stuff. Just curious what peoples experience has been and how often I'd have to run it to get the same protection as a full winterization.

I usually pull out the hose and ear muffs once or twice a month and crack a beer while she warms up. Never winterized once and have never had an issue in the Lower Mainland in 8 years with my boat. I do cover the boat and engine to keep the rain and debris off. Not sure if this is ok for the motor or not, have a friend that used to be a boat mechanic and he is the one who told me just to run it once or twice a month if i can.

mid 90's 115 merc inline 6

Edzzed
10-15-2014, 01:57 PM
I never winterized my boat but I kept it in my garage. Garage is not heated but thermometer also told me it never went below freezing even when it was minus 8 here in the lower mainland. I have heard stories about people who drove cars without antifreeze and they paid the price when it froze. It's one of those, to each their own things.

andrewscag
10-15-2014, 08:51 PM
Thanks guys. I'll plan on running it in the water or out at least twice a month and call it good. "Honey I have to take the boat out. Its maintenance"

Mike_R
10-17-2014, 06:33 PM
If it was me, I wouldn't worry about draining the carbs when using fuel stabilizer

(edit) Just make sure the stabilizer gets through to the carbs by running the boat for a while after adding the stabilizer

Bag1
10-17-2014, 10:26 PM
My Grady stays moored year round, twin f150's and no winterization as far as engines go, but I do use it all the time except nov and dec it doesn't see much action or when the marina is frozen over lol
I do however make sure salt water washdown hoses are drained, freshwater is drained, and toilet is drained,
I leave a circulating heater in the cuddy and cabin area between outings and keep the batteries on a maintainer and that's it for winterization,
I go there and hit the keys and away,
the only thing you should worry about is the fuel if you plan to store for more then say 4-6 months then have a stabilizer

andrewscag
10-19-2014, 10:16 PM
Apparently Suzuki dt series 2 strokes gum up easily. I just had the carbs rebuilt so I'll probably play it safe and drain them. Good to hear lots of guys skipping the winterization. I never did with my old Johnson 35 but it was a pretty simple machine. That thing still ran with a blown head gasket and a bad coil.

79Jimmy
10-19-2014, 10:30 PM
I agree with Mike, if the fuel is stabilized i wouldnt run them dry particularly with a 2 stroke as it will make the engine run lean albeit not very long...to each his own. If you are draining the bowls manually then go for it but I dont think its nessessary down here especially if you are running periodically through the winter. If you have ethanol fuel in the tank I cant stress fuel stabilizer enough!!!! If it goes bad and separates it WILL kill a 2 stroke eventually.

andrewscag
10-20-2014, 08:39 AM
Thanks guys! Appreciate the advice.