PDA

View Full Version : moose attractant

srupp
10-14-2014, 11:29 PM
Hmmm was using mares urine for scent while calling moose..one was Buck expert..it really was strong and the odour carried significantly on the wind..the otherwas Tinks...it was same price for one quarter the size bottle..4x as expensive and had almost no smell? Anyone know whats up with this..no smell?

Just wondering
Cheers
Steven

pete_k
10-14-2014, 11:34 PM
Yep. The horse piss burnt out your olfactory receptors.

Sofa King
10-14-2014, 11:35 PM
it attracted you, that's their main intent.
personally, I've done well with the smoke sticks.

dbergen69
10-15-2014, 07:05 PM
I have had some success with the smoke sticks also.

Doublelung
10-16-2014, 06:32 AM
Had success with the smoke sticks. My favority for bait sites is c'mere deer. For some reason moose just can't leave that stuff alone.

Ambush
10-16-2014, 09:09 PM
I've used the "Mare in Heat" urine for years to "chum" the area I'm hunting. I'm convinced it works. One bull that was coming to my tree stand almost snapped his neck when he suddenly smelled a cotton ball laced with pee as he was passing it. Turned nicely broadside to receive his free arrow.

But this year the bottle I bought from CT was some rank. I think it was actually rotten.

srupp
10-16-2014, 09:33 PM
Hmm I bought mine from Ct also...what does rotten pee smell like? Mine smelled usual..
Srupp

fearnodeer
10-17-2014, 03:09 AM
Smoke sticks for me to, they seem to work.

Mik
10-17-2014, 05:33 AM
I believe that the potency can decline with the way it's stored. I had some elk in heat that I found from a couple years ago and when I went to use it this year, it actually smelled like a sweet perfume?? Having said that, I'm a believer in using the scent sticks.

Avalanche123
10-17-2014, 06:43 AM
I always thought those things were just another gimmick....BUT I never use the stuff so it's just my personal opinion based on the fact I've had luck without spending $$$ on it. But hey if it makes you feel positive, go for it. :)

gcreek
10-17-2014, 12:25 PM
http://youtu.be/CRIwuxqKyyk

Sofa King
10-17-2014, 12:29 PM
I always thought those things were just another gimmick....BUT I never use the stuff so it's just my personal opinion based on the fact I've had luck without spending $$$ on it. But hey if it makes you feel positive, go for it. :)
definitely not a gimmick. they bring in the game. and ive found moose and predators react the strongest to them.

Sofa King
10-17-2014, 12:31 PM
i burned a stick on a stump last year, while i watched the area from a higher vantage point. nothing showed, which they wont if they arent around. but when i came back in the morning, a buck had walked stright to that stump through the night and investigated thoroughly.

srupp
10-17-2014, 01:26 PM
phoned Tinks they say it doesn't make much smell to us but gets stronger as it reacts to the air and the pheromones arnt detectable to us..

I am convinced they work..shot several bulls at the odour site...trappers use scent..

cheers
Steven

Salty
10-17-2014, 01:33 PM
I started a scrape line with scent last year. Made a couple 'rubs' with scent on the ground and above and ended up having a young adult buck thrashing each site and visiting every night or two for a week. First year I bothered with any I'll keep it in my tool kit from now on

Avalanche123
10-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Like I said, if you are a believer in it and you feel it works for you, that's awesome.

Sofa King
10-17-2014, 09:31 PM
Like I said, if you are a believer in it and you feel it works for you, that's awesome.

it's not about "believing" or "feeling", it's about knowing and seeing.
the shit works.
it's not necessary, but it does work.

mungojeerie
10-19-2014, 03:42 AM
I used tinks moose sticks for the first time last week. I burnt one the evening before, and another the next morning while watching my clearing and giving the odd call. Had a calf moose come out nose in the air just going crazy smelling at first and shortly after a bull emerged. Shot my first bull at 49yds can't say with certainty the sticks worked but I do think they did! I also think they helped mask my scent.

srupp
10-19-2014, 04:20 AM
Hmmm congradulations.
Steven

two-feet
10-19-2014, 08:22 AM
We tried the mare piss stuff this year for the first time. We had some action around the scent site but one experience is a small sample size to base conclusions on. I have absolute faith that scent can and will bring in all types of game as smell is the one sense that they trust the most. I just am not sure about the stuff that they sell, using horse piss to fire up a moose seems counter intuitive. I will continue to try different products until I find the one that seems the best. Is the Tinks a synthetic or is it a horse piss?

Ambush
10-19-2014, 09:02 AM
I have seen, close up, several times the affect mare-in-heat pee has on bull moose. If you call and move all the time, then it will not be as effective.

But if you hunt the same area for several days, then it is money well spent. You also have to disperse it correctly.

Avalanche123
10-20-2014, 12:05 PM
Ok I am intrigued. I'll buy a bottle and "see what happens".....

caves16
10-20-2014, 03:41 PM
one piece of advice: keep track of the bottle, dont misplace it. My husband didnt notice when the tiny bottle fell out of the pocket of his hunting jacket up north and rolled under the seat of the truck. it froze, and that cracked the bottle. He didnt notice until later on the coast when the bottle defrosted. I think it took months for the smell to fade.

Avalanche123
10-20-2014, 03:53 PM
Well I just bought a bottle of the lure and the scent sticks.....have to admit I don't mind the smell! :)