PDA

View Full Version : cat identification ?..hmm

srupp
10-14-2014, 08:30 PM
Hmm last week near Moorhouse 10 kms down a logging rd I stopped my quad to glass a cutblock.suddenly a completely black cat crossed the road in front of me..12 feet away.
It was slender well defined, not overweight nor skinny.it was completely black..no markings, long tail no end tufft. No tufts at end of normal ears..walked deliberate not upset at me being there..so far I eliminated cougar, not a lynx nor a bobcat..the really strange part was its size..over 40 pounds..its back was the same height as my front atv tires...about 5x or 6x the size of a large house cat ! What the hell did I see? I am making an appointment with regional biologist..
Any ideas? I have no ideas what it was just what it wasnt..
The rd was hard gravel..no tracks..have never ecperienced anything simmilar..
Steven

Salty
10-14-2014, 08:45 PM
The only thing I can think of Steven is a fisher?

wildcatter
10-14-2014, 08:46 PM
I guess you had no time to snap a photo?

MB_Boy
10-14-2014, 08:50 PM
The only thing I can think of Steven is a fisher?

Was gonna say the same thing.....although 40+lb would be a big Fisher.

srupp
10-14-2014, 08:53 PM
Hmm no not a fisher, sure of that. It was a cat..hmm camera was in box on back of quad in side a daypack in a plastic pelican case..in a bag in the case..nope no photo...
Being so close..the size was easy...the id puzzling
Steven

3006pg
10-14-2014, 08:56 PM
It's a black panther jack!

coach
10-14-2014, 08:58 PM
Black cougar?? http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/documents/cougar.htm#appearance

srupp
10-14-2014, 08:58 PM
Hmm it was near jackpine lake..
Steven

Salty
10-14-2014, 08:59 PM
I think you've finally stumbled upon the illusive sidehill gouger!! LOL I have no frickin clue wish I'd have seen it too.

Salty
10-14-2014, 09:04 PM
coach came up with black cougar while I was typing I didn't know there was such a thing other than pumas way down south. This year's kit black cougar. Final answer.

Sofa King
10-14-2014, 09:09 PM
Hmm it was near jackpine lake..
Steven

are you meaning jackpine up behind westbank?
if so, you aren't the first to have that story.
many sightings of a large black cat up that way.

fuzzybiscuit
10-14-2014, 09:12 PM
Was it 4:20 in the afternoon?

landphil
10-14-2014, 09:16 PM
It's a black panther jack!

Keep your shirt on Godwin! :mrgreen:

Jagermeister
10-14-2014, 09:20 PM
I think coach hit upon the solution to the mystery.

landphil
10-14-2014, 09:23 PM
I think coach hit upon the solution to the mystery.

I'd have to agree. Or Steven has gone "Uncle Si" on us. I'm thinking the former though.

fuzzybiscuit
10-14-2014, 09:28 PM
Did you follow up the sighting of the black cat by beating the crap out of a bag of Doritos trying to open them?

quadrakid
10-14-2014, 09:29 PM
What we see and what we think we see can be very different. The human brain is complicated. Without some physical proof we will never know what you saw.

Sofa King
10-14-2014, 09:35 PM
I was talking to a hunting camp up bear creek road a couple seasons ago.
during the conversation, they mentioned seeing a black cat while out quadding on a trail.
they also mentioned other sightings they had heard of in the area, some by COs.
out of curiosity, I named a spot, asking if it might have been in that area.
they seemed surprised that I called it exactly.
I've found numerous peculiar things in that area.
it wasn't at jackpine, but farther up bear creek road.

BearStump
10-14-2014, 09:53 PM
I've seen one too SRUPP. But mine was on Harrison east logging road near the old Pretty's timber camp. Good luck with your investigating. I just get wierd looks of disbelief when I tell any one.

Big Lew
10-14-2014, 09:57 PM
Steven, could it be an adolescent cougar? I have seen kittens up to half grown that were
very dark, although they still were mottled. Is it possible that the light conditions were
such as it actually looked black?

Sofa King
10-14-2014, 10:09 PM
the co's that saw one up bear creek, had it jump down off the bank right in front of their truck and bound across the road.
description was basically a plack panther, ergo, a black cougar.

Jedcote50
10-14-2014, 10:44 PM
It's not inconceivable, if there are white black bears why can't there be black phase cougars

srupp
10-14-2014, 11:20 PM
Hmmm no definatly completely black..the tail did not have a tuft like a cougar at the end and the tail eas more slender..exactly like a house cat...just way bigger..hmmm maybe Polly lake spill did affect the wildlife?
This Jackpine lake is enroute to likely...close to moorehouse lake
I was not going to mention it however I truly am stumped on this one..12 feet away in daylight...
Cheers
Steven

Sofa King
10-14-2014, 11:25 PM
It's not inconceivable, if there are white black bears why can't there be black phase cougars

exactly.
albino everything, even easier to think there's black versions as well.

The Dawg
10-15-2014, 12:59 AM
https://cdn.empowernetwork.com/user_images/post/2013/04/01/f/ea/bbf0/540_293_resize_20130401_feabbf0e738404c64dbcfb9fa9 968ae6_png.png

Stone Sheep Steve
10-15-2014, 03:49 AM
While there are 'reports' of black Cougars, there seems to be no real proof of their existence. Melanism is not uncommon in the Panthera family but Cougars are not one of the cat species in that family.

Not sure what you saw, Jack???

rides bike to work
10-15-2014, 06:58 AM
Release the hounds!!!

Grousedaddy
10-15-2014, 07:10 AM
Sounds like a north american chupacabra to me...

caddisguy
10-15-2014, 08:08 AM
Like SSS said, there have been reports of black cougars. Other than an escaped panther--in one case I recall--there is just no physical evidence to support the claims yet. I consider it is possible a genetic mutation could be occurring though. I'd need to see it myself to believe it.

I spoke to a park attendant early this year who said that on the american side of Ross lake, the government has a bunch of trailcams and they claim to have been seeing big black cougars. After a little research I concluded that he was given bogus info. If someone managed to get one of these black cougars on camera, it would be a breakthrough. That picture/video would be worth $$$.

Maybe it's a governmnt cover-up. The truth is out there ;-P

srupp
10-15-2014, 03:32 PM
Hmmm moe employee told me it was a black cougar..and not unheard of even here in cariboo..
Steven

caddisguy
10-15-2014, 05:08 PM
On one hand I think it would be fascinating to prove the existence of these black cougars. On the other it might creep me out. The only thing that creeps me out more than a 150-200lb cat would be a 150-200lb spider. If the cat was black, they would be equally creepy. Chatter about the black cougar among CO's and parks guys is definitely trending. I think with all the trailcams HBC has out there, we should be able to get one eventually.

When I heard the claim they were getting lots of black cougar trailcam footage on the Washington side of Ross Lake, only to find out there has never been a photograph presented as evidence to prove the existence, I sort of wrote the whole thing off.

Now I want to go check my trailcams and maybe buy a few more :)

dana
10-15-2014, 06:06 PM
Sounds like a big tom house cat that has gone wild. As for the MOE telling you it was a black cougar and they are common in your area, that shows why Region 5 is run like $hit. Like the bigfoot, there have been sighting but no proof anywhere of a black cougar. Keep in mind cougars range from the Yukon to the southern tip of South America. You would think someone would have killed a black cougar in the last couple hundred years if they did exist.

quadrakid
10-15-2014, 06:18 PM
For gods sakes mr dana,stop talking commen sense!Next thing you will tell me is that wild pigs are not roaming willy nilly all over bc.

srupp
10-15-2014, 06:32 PM
For gods sakes mr dana,stop talking commen sense!Next thing you will tell me is that wild pigs are not roaming willy nilly all over bc.

Hmmm....several dead pigs...so thats a moot point..
If you have a better idea..of what the hell I saw at 12 feet feel free to add some positive ideas..close encounter in daylight...and if someone has a photo of a simmilar sized shaped house cat post it please..
I have spent 41 years in the outback and this was bizzare...but very real..
Srupp

Salty
10-15-2014, 06:37 PM
Come to think of it I had a run in with a black cougar back when too :shock:

f350ps
10-15-2014, 07:54 PM
It's probably a feral pig eating breed of cat, I've heard rumours of them for a few years now but like the pigs, I haven't seen a pic of a dead one yet! :) K

boxhitch
10-15-2014, 08:06 PM
As for the MOE telling you it was a black cougar and they are common in your area, that shows why Region 5 is run like $hit. . :)..........

quadrakid
10-16-2014, 06:32 AM
People see a beaver swimming across a lake and swear they have seen ogopogo.People see a reflection in the sky and swear they have seen a flying saucer.The human eye/brain is not perfect.

Big Lew
10-16-2014, 08:03 AM
Well, having known Steven for awhile now, and considering his 41 years in the outback, including time as a guide etc, if he says he saw a black cat, he saw a black cat. There are several others that swear to have seen one in the Pacific North West. My grandfather, who's father homesteaded Rolley Lake, spent most of his life working either as a fisherman or logger and living in the woods, told me he had seen one north of Dewdney Trunk Hwy on Blue Mountain before I was born. I have no reason to doubt him either.

Salty
10-16-2014, 08:24 AM
There's cases of black deer black moose black rainbow trout, the existence of the very odd black North American cougar would not surprise me one bit.

Sleep Robber
10-16-2014, 08:52 AM
We see white moose, white deer and white bears so why can't we see a black cougar ??

Some of you's need to step outta the "small frame" and look at the "big picture' more often.

Is seeing a black cougar sized cat that ridiculous ?? I think not........especially when the source is a good standing member with a lot of outdoor experience.......I mean why would he lie ??? For me it's much easier believing in a black cougar than a bigfoot but my mind stays open on the latter too.... remember the ugly duckling ??

Personally ?? I've seen a black cougar before !!!......mind you she only had two legs but the purrr was roughly the same.:mrgreen:

Sofa King
10-16-2014, 09:10 AM
whats really sad, is that on this site, if you had said it was a sasquatch you saw, more would find that credible.

Sleep Robber
10-16-2014, 09:14 AM
The OP said it was a mere 12 feet away from him, that to me says he saw what he saw........if his eyes are that bad then how the hell does he kill shit like he does ??

Big Lew
10-16-2014, 09:36 AM
The OP said it was a mere 12 feet away from him, that to me says he saw what he saw........if his eyes are that bad then how the hell does he kill shit like he does ??

And spot more sheep than the rest of during the spring sheep count.

quadrakid
10-16-2014, 05:47 PM
If you read Steves start to this thread he is asking what people think he saw because he does not know what he saw. He does not say he thinks he saw a black cougar.I am the eternal pessimist.Sorry but bigfoot does not exist and if black cougars were truly seen as often as people think they see them then I,m pretty sure a houndsman would have treed one and at least taken a picture of one in the last50 or 60 years. All due respect to Steve,a great guy with a ton of outdoor experience.

lovemywinchester
10-16-2014, 06:13 PM
Was it 4:20 in the afternoon?

I believe Proguide had most of his bigfoot encounters around or shortly after the same time.

Black bobcat maybe? Here is a great vid on the topic. Go to 2:30 in the vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6przuR7ITfY

itsy bitsy xj
10-16-2014, 06:37 PM
It's Sasquatch's house cat

ot it a jaguar that's made its way up from South America maybe they are migrating

dana
10-16-2014, 06:44 PM
Sightings are indeed common, but no proof, nope,nada, nothing!!! Last winter the local info board on facebook was a buzzing because of a black cougar sighting here. Local said they saw it numerous times. Was on a paved road eating road killed Red Polls (a very small bird commonly seen in these parts in the winter. About the size of a chickadee). I was curious as to why a big cat would waste his time eating such small road kill. I went to the spot to investigate. Find the lion track and turn out the hound and tree the mystical beast. Funny, no lion tracks anywhere in the area described, but gobs of fox tracks. I've seen many a black fox in this area over the years. Do you think the local mistook one for a black cougar? Or is this truly a mythical creature that floats over the snow leaving not a single track?

srupp
10-16-2014, 07:50 PM
Hmm no Steve..it was a mere 12 feet away..hmmm a little credit maybe?
I guess no one has any better idea than me thats fine...
I am headed for my first surgery monday afternoon in Kamloops..am very anxious.and even fearful..
However it must me done.. considering the responses not going to ask for Prayers or good thoughts come Monday..however I did post my recent pronghorn photos on the out of bc hunting on this site..
Hopefully surgery goes fine and any ideas on the cat can be sent via pm.
Cheers
Steven Rupp

kevan
10-16-2014, 08:19 PM
Steven, Our thoughts and Prayers are coming your way from this household.
Think positive my Friend, your surgery will go well and before you know it . you will be out and about again.

I have never stopped thinking positive and I honestly feel that it is one of the things keeping me one step ahead of cancer.... that along with some expensive drugs...

dana
10-16-2014, 08:36 PM
You said you felt it wasn't a cougar. I agree with you. Not calling you out whatsoever. Rather calling out those that believe in the existance of black cougars. White moose, white deer, and white bears. Sure, because there is indeed evidence. Black cougars??? Cougars are elusive but live in close proximity to man due to where their prey lives. 2 hundred + years of habitation on both North and South America and not one black cougar killed or picture taken of??? A colour would not change the creatures habits. It isn't just 1 mythical creature living in some Scottish Loch or Southern Interior BC lake. Cougars range from east to west, north to south and not one black one has ever been proven. Hmmm???? I still go with my first response to you which is very logical. You said it looked like a house cat, so why wouldn't it be just that, a big ol' tom house cat. I've seen some giant barn cats over the years. Not out of the question that you saw a big one living out in the wild.

srupp
10-16-2014, 08:38 PM
Hmm could be..dont know
Steven

Salty
10-16-2014, 08:52 PM
Best wishes to you on your surgery srupp

Sofa King
10-16-2014, 08:55 PM
Sightings are indeed common, but no proof, nope,nada, nothing!!! Last winter the local info board on facebook was a buzzing because of a black cougar sighting here. Local said they saw it numerous times. Was on a paved road eating road killed Red Polls (a very small bird commonly seen in these parts in the winter. About the size of a chickadee). I was curious as to why a big cat would waste his time eating such small road kill. I went to the spot to investigate. Find the lion track and turn out the hound and tree the mystical beast. Funny, no lion tracks anywhere in the area described, but gobs of fox tracks. I've seen many a black fox in this area over the years. Do you think the local mistook one for a black cougar? Or is this truly a mythical creature that floats over the snow leaving not a single track?

you got proof of that?
or are we just supposed to take your word?
and there are black cougars, but they are called black panthers, so, we do know they exist.
he's not making up some unproven beast.

quadrakid
10-16-2014, 09:31 PM
Sofa King,Google Black Fox, Black Panthers are not black cougars,they are black Jaguars. I don,t believe we have any jaguars in BC

HarryToolips
10-16-2014, 09:36 PM
Good luck on your surgery Steven...

goatdancer
10-16-2014, 09:39 PM
Good luck with your surgery. Just concern yourself with that. The cat isn't important.

honda1
11-06-2014, 09:41 PM
Wifey spotted one last week as we were driving out first thing I said was holy s&@t it's a panther I asked the co and he says yep there out there .anyone have dogs I'll show you where it was I'm not sure how long the sent stays around but I know exactly where it was and like any cat hangs around long enough to take pics unless you tree them

ICEWOODY
11-07-2014, 07:42 AM
They do exist lady had video of one running through her field in Britain. It was on some silly sceptic films show but is was documented as a black cougar. The one you saw probably had better teeth. There's my first joke HBC. I hope we can see a photo of this animal soon. Then again it's One of the animals I don't want to really come up on in the woods brown or black.

srupp
11-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Hmmm in thinking this over...a lot...the part that seals it for me is the tail....it came all the way to the ground behing it and curled up .......it seems to me it was longer than the house cats that come daily to pee in our flower garden...however it was not as big around the thickness and taper was different than an adult cougar...maybe tails grow ....I did see a photo of a harvested cougar from last year wiyh a shorter tail..not damaged...genetic? It was thicker than what I saw...
Steven

Singleshotneeded
11-07-2014, 02:47 PM
Two kinds of cats: big cats, they're dangerous! little pussies, they never hurt anyone! :-D