PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving lessons from the whitetails

adriaticum
10-14-2014, 06:30 PM
"Tales from the nube"

Tons of excitement, learned lots but in the end they all whitetails waved bye-bye sucker. Better luck next time.

I was so pumped last week so I took off on Thursday mid-day for the Region 3 area I have visited with Sofa King in weeks past. I saw deer there so the prospects were exciting.
I arrived at dusk, just enough time to take a drive through to see where the deer are showing.
I was basically the only soul on the mountain at the time with only one other guy who left the next day.
On my drive I saw whitetails right in the areas I expected them to be so I coined a plan for the morning warm-up.

In the morning I drove to a little elbow in the road where there was enough brush to keep the truck hidden and me and the dogs arrived before any light, turned the truck off and went for a 30 min nap. As it was getting light and I could see, I start watching the area with my binos and looking to see if there is any movement. If they are there, I would get out and crawl to the area, and smack them over the head with my gun.
There is about 500y between the truck and the “zone” where deer should be. There are a few small pine trees about 6-7 feet tall in the area. I could certainly detect movement in there.
After about an hour and a half, and by now it’s full daylight, I decided, naw, they are not here so I fire the truck up to continue to the next area and as I got to about 100y from the “zone” and 2 does start moving downhill from where I was just looking at for an hour, they spot me first. WTF?!! They looked as surprised as I was. And they were there. I quickly get out of the truck and try to sneak up on them from above (they went downhill so can’t see me again). I come to about 50 yards from them but I can’t see them and they can’t see me. As I start to lift my head they bust me, shriek like I am gutting them alive and dart into the bush before I could say a prayer. This echoed through the whole mountain side. I spooked them good. Ok so I think I am going to set up my blind there mid-day. But first I go to the top of the mountain and snoop around some mule deer areas. I found some bear poop on a peak that made me regret leaving the dogs in the truck. They might have been able to sniff it out.

Ok, now I was going to setup my blind around midday and leave it there for the 4 days like Ambush said. I came back around 4 pm and decided I was going to be in there until I can’t see any more to see what will happen. It’s was ugly windy and it was really hard to hear anything. I was in the blind for a couple of hours and it was almost sunset and I was starting to have doubts that these does would show up. As I prepare to leave something tells me to look behind me and I turn around and spot a nice 2 point whitetail buck looking at the blind, not happy at all. He was standing 20 yards from the blind at 7 o’clock, stomping his feet and licking his lips testing the air. Obviously disturbed. I did not have a window opened a crack on this side of the blind, only the mesh, so I could not take a shot at him. As I lean back to my chair to calm down he shreaks like a mad cow runs away into the bush never to be seen again. I did not see deer in that spot for the remained of the trip and I left my blind there for the 4 days. I went into the forest they were running into to snoop around for an hour. There could be possible ambush points in there too.
On the way back I see does in an area I wasn’t quite expecting them so I said I will come back in 2 days. Let’s leave it to cool off hoping hordes of hunters won’t barge in.
The next day, Saturday, I refueled and drove to some, unknown to me, areas, found some excellent bear habitat and some moose areas. Come Nov 1 it will be tough to decide where to try for moose.
I decided on Sunday probably the ugliest day, I am going to walk this 4km road and poke around the bush in these 2 areas where whitetails are showing regularly. Afternoon was a better choice as I didn’t see much in the mornings. I went to a new area in the morning and boom spooked some does but they didn’t go running like mad. It was raining and I get out and start crawling to cover. On my way I start dropping gear, binos etc. I get to an area where I can see them through the scope and they seem to lower their tails and appear somewhat relaxed. This is at 300y plus and as soon as they leave the patch of trees I let one fly. I aimed at the head and figured if I miss, I will miss clean. They looked surprised and wondering where the shot came from and slowly trotted back into the main forest and waved goodbye.

After this miss I started to have self-doubt. This one and the one on a 4 pt made me think something is not right.
My distance judgment is not good. I know my numbers but my distance judgment is definitely not good.
So I setup a log to shoot at about 60 yards to eliminate the gun. I shot it and the shot was about an inch to the left.
I’m pulling , yikes! But it’s still pretty close. So my next investment will be a range finder.

On my last evening hunt I decided to walk this entire area with 2 whitetails “zones” slowly. As I was closing in on the first area with whitetails I was really careful. Walking from tree to tree. Listening. Waited for a squirrel to stop yapping for 10 minutes before proceeding etc. I am now very close, 80 yards, from where I once spooked the does coming back. At this point there is no cover anymore and I have to be very slow and not make a sound and pray they are not looking my way. The ground was wet and the wind was blowing hard and in my favour so I figured I still may have a chance. Now I moved another 20 yards into the road to cross this little creek bed and approaching the area where the does were feeding to about 40 yards and I’m tense and ready. My gun is ready. I am waiting for something to move of make a sound. After about 15 minutes of intense concentration I start to relax and realize that they are not here. I start to move a little more aggressively in and boom. Two whitetails leap into the air 30 yards in front of me from out of nowhere and run into the thick trees. At this point I didn’t know if I should punch them or what. I am thinking, break a leg bitch, they were jumping so high I couldn’t believe it.
If I had a shotgun with buckshot I could let a couple rip with a better result. I could not believe it. As soon as I start to have doubts and relax, Boom the deer are there.
I was excited and pissed and surprised. All in one. So close.
Monday morning I was going to hit 2 spots but my tire went flat so I spent an hour changing the tire and that kind of removed the surprise factor. I still did the hunts but there was nothing there. I’m sure someone has passed through.
Anyway it’s a bitch I didn’t slap one but at least I’m turning inexperience into experience
I have to go back before the doe season ends.
:mrgreen:

Dannybuoy
10-15-2014, 11:55 AM
I know others must be thinking it so I'll say it : I hope that your experience is teaching you to , listen to advise , sight in your rifle , and not take shots you cant make ... if not we can expect to read more posts about the ones that got away

Chody
10-15-2014, 12:03 PM
at least you saw them, i hiked my ass for miles and didnt spot any. i need to goto reg 3 again.

adriaticum
10-15-2014, 02:48 PM
I know others must be thinking it so I'll say it : I hope that your experience is teaching you to , listen to advise , sight in your rifle , and not take shots you cant make ... if not we can expect to read more posts about the ones that got away

I hope so too. It would have been nice to bring home a deer but I did have loads of fun. I should be able to make 300 yard shots even with 7.62x39 but i suppose i'm not 20 anymore and my distance judgement is not good so i have to get a range finder.

adriaticum
10-15-2014, 02:49 PM
at least you saw them, i hiked my ass for miles and didnt spot any. i need to goto reg 3 again.

Its tough but once you find them they will always be there and it will be that much more exciting

Sofa King
10-15-2014, 02:53 PM
pics or it didn't happen.

Sofa King
10-15-2014, 02:57 PM
ha.
you had fun, that's the most important.
and every trip out is knowledge and experience gained.
it was cool to meet up with you at Canadian tire on your way home and see how stoked you were at being in the deer.
you couldn't wait to get back in there.
it all combines to make it that much sweeter when you finally do put one in the dirt.
knowing that you worked hard for it and figured them out.
much more satisfying, to me anyway, than rounding a corner on the road and popping one from the truck basically.
I love the work that it takes to outsmart that deer and beat him in his house.

adriaticum
10-15-2014, 03:30 PM
pics or it didn't happen.

I do have some pics.
I swear man if I had a gopro that would be the aweseomest thing

Funny, I used to be camera crazy about 10 years ago.
Took pictures of everything.
But since the phones have become cameras I don't use them as much. Don't want to waste the battery.

adriaticum
10-15-2014, 03:32 PM
ha.
you had fun, that's the most important.
and every trip out is knowledge and experience gained.
it was cool to meet up with you at Canadian tire on your way home and see how stoked you were at being in the deer.
you couldn't wait to get back in there.
it all combines to make it that much sweeter when you finally do put one in the dirt.
knowing that you worked hard for it and figured them out.
much more satisfying, to me anyway, than rounding a corner on the road and popping one from the truck basically.
I love the work that it takes to outsmart that deer and beat him in his house.

Yeah it's one of those thing that's the same with fishing.
If you are fishing where there is no fish, you are not going to get any better.
But if you fish where there is fish and you are not catching them, you will work on devising plans to be better.
And thanks to you, at least I am into deer and can work on getting better to get them.

Mikey Rafiki
10-15-2014, 03:35 PM
300 yard head shot, kill zone is about the size of your fist. That's not an easy shot by anyone's standards.

Stalking whitey's is a tough game, especially before the rut. Rule of thumb, take 5 steps, watch for 20 seconds. I always run out of patience, so I'm better off sitting in one spot so I don't get "what's over that hill?" syndrome.

adriaticum
10-15-2014, 03:45 PM
300 yard head shot, kill zone is about the size of your fist. That's not an easy shot by anyone's standards.

Stalking whitey's is a tough game, especially before the rut. Rule of thumb, take 5 steps, watch for 20 seconds. I always run out of patience, so I'm better off sitting in one spot so I don't get "what's over that hill?" syndrome.

I think you are exactly right.
This is one thing I didn't do in any of these situations other than in the blind.
The problem was that in one zone where this is possible, there is a 10 year old thick pine forest and I could have sat and waited in, but I was worried that they might come through there so I didn't.
I've seen them several times running parallel to the road about 10 meters into the bush.
Next time I think it makes sense to bring a shotgun and try buckshot in such close proximity.

caddisguy
10-15-2014, 04:18 PM
I'd find out for sure whether you're pulling or that scope is off zero. Left an inch or two off at 60 yards coupled with a misjudged distance could turn a head shot into a gut shot at 300.

Even with a 50cal, if it's not a double lung shot, brain shot or heart shot, there's a good chance the deer might not even flnch but rather just walk/run/hop away like nothing happened and you'll find a bear eating on it a couple hundred yards away a week later. Might not even leave a blood trail if it's a gut shot. Strange but true. Tough animals those deer.

It's all fun and games until your first deer goes unrecovered. That will mess with you 1000X more than all missed opportunities and trips coming home empty handed combined.

Cookie1965
10-15-2014, 04:39 PM
I gotta agree with caddisguy. I'm no great hunter but unless I KNOW I can pull off a shot from a field rest I won't squeeze the trigger. Shooting tight groups off sand bags is a one thing, punch some holes in paper plates from a seated position or prone with your pack as a rest at 150 yards to gain some real world confidence. 300 yards is a long way away to attempt a head shot with any doubt in your mind, 5 or 6 inches off and that animal is running away with it's muzzle blown off to die ugly.

bcmulie
10-15-2014, 04:46 PM
Sounds like you had a fun hunt and are getting some experience. I would not recommend headshots, however, especially at 300 yards. If you're off 2 inches you could easily break the deer's jaw. This will kill it, but not for a week or so... I always aim for the heart/lung area.

Good luck your next time out.

BRvalley
10-15-2014, 04:52 PM
lessons learned are good times in the woods, lots of time to cut your tag yet, just being out there is what counts the most

this guy was alive and well 2 days after he was shot, we bumped into the other hunters as we were gutting, they said he dropped on the shot and as they approached he got up and took off

I'd personally rather lose a few lbs of meat from the ribs than risk a head or neck shot, regardless of distance

http://i1343.photobucket.com/albums/o784/BRvalley/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps43d52196.jpg (http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/BRvalley/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps43d52196.jpg.html)

caddisguy
10-15-2014, 05:47 PM
I can't highlight my experience enough. Double lung shot lined up. It slid--gun moved just barely--on the side of the stump I was using as a rest, simultaneously as I squeezed the trigger. 200 yards, 150gr 30-06. Spike didn't flinch. The doe and spike walked away casually like they were slightly bothered that shot echoing through the mountains slightly disturbed their peace and quiet. No blood from ground zero to the treeline. Spent hours in the pines and nothing. Found the spike a week later, carcass mostly burried, likely by a bear or possibly a cat. Mind = blown.

Missing the vitals by a couple inches in most cases won't slow down a deer. You'd think being hit by a 30-06 anywhere near the vitals would slow any animal down but it doesn't. You'd get a blood trail for a bit at best, but maybe not even.

I have a good feeling next trip you will get your first deer. It's going to be a close shot, 80 yards or so and it will be a quick takedown and a beauty moment. Can't wait to see the pics.

adriaticum
10-15-2014, 05:56 PM
I can't highlight my experience enough. Double lung shot lined up. It slid--gun moved just barely--on the side of the stump I was using as a rest, simultaneously as I squeezed the trigger. 200 yards, 150gr 30-06. Spike didn't flinch. The doe and spike walked away casually like they were slightly bothered that shot echoing through the mountains slightly disturbed their peace and quiet. No blood from ground zero to the treeline. Spent hours in the pines and nothing. Found the spike a week later, carcass mostly burried, likely by a bear or possibly a cat. Mind = blown.

Missing the vitals by a couple inches in most cases won't slow down a deer. You'd think being hit by a 30-06 anywhere near the vitals would slow any animal down but it doesn't. You'd get a blood trail for a bit at best, but maybe not even.

I have a good feeling next trip you will get your first deer. It's going to be a close shot, 80 yards or so and it will be a quick takedown and a beauty moment. Can't wait to see the pics.

I wasn't prepared to get so close to them, probably couldn't believe it after an entire last season only seeing one deer.
Hopefully I will be better prepared. I also wasn't prepared clothing wise, my rain gear was no good, my merrells were too loud etc.
Hopefully better preparation will produce results.
I'm bringing my shotgun and a baseball bat next time.
You never know. ;)
Also my dogs took a toll on me emotionally, but that's a whole other story.

Sleep Robber
10-15-2014, 06:51 PM
Watcha doing trying a 300 yard head shot for when you can't even hit the broadside of a mulie ?? :tongue: lollol!!! {jk}

lovemywinchester
10-15-2014, 07:37 PM
You should have shot through the mesh if you could see the WT buck. A small hole in the blind is a small price to pay. No time for screwing around with wt's. Aim and shoot. You should consider getting a open sight lever gun. Forget the shotgun. Great for close action and quick moving deer. I shot my wt doe last year from 75 yds at a full run with my old winnie. Right through the neck. Just like a god damned cowboy would've.
Look at a marlin or buck up for a model 94 and put some meat in the freezer.

If you reach 5000 posts without a kill photo I will start the paperwork for your excommunication and exile to Bigshits. That grouse doesnt count, his wings were still flapping. We can't be sure he didn't get away.

adriaticum
10-15-2014, 07:46 PM
You should have shot through the mesh if you could see the WT buck. A small hole in the blind is a small price to pay. No time for screwing around with wt's. Aim and shoot. You should consider getting a open sight lever gun. Forget the shotgun. Great for close action and quick moving deer. I shot my wt doe last year from 75 yds at a full run with my old winnie. Right through the neck. Just like a god damned cowboy would've.
Look at a marlin or buck up for a model 94 and put some meat in the freezer.

If you reach 5000 posts without a kill photo I will start the paperwork for your excommunication and exile to Bigshits. That grouse doesnt count, his wings were still flapping. We can't be sure he didn't get away.

I agree on all points!

boxhitch
10-15-2014, 07:52 PM
Two types of hunters
one that tries to do all he possibly can to do it right and make a clean kill......
.and the other type