PDA

View Full Version : Argo's in the marsh

lip_ripper00
10-14-2014, 04:36 PM
Looking for legal clarification on use of an Argo in the local marshes. Makes good sense they would not be allowed, but I am looking for something in black and white. Thanks Steve

f350ps
10-14-2014, 06:19 PM
With out studying, why would they not be allowed? K

ellenbill
10-14-2014, 07:26 PM
Because they make a mess of the marsh.

f350ps
10-14-2014, 07:39 PM
Because they make a mess of the marsh.
I just checked the regs for "making a mess in the marsh", got anything else? K

Hunting/addict
10-14-2014, 07:55 PM
Of course its illegal...damage to the environment uder the forest and range practices act why would you want to damge a wetland as they are very limited in many areas. As hunters we need to getout and walk more................

Ozone
10-14-2014, 07:56 PM
Are boats with motors aloud in the marsh?

kilometers
10-14-2014, 08:00 PM
This may apply

When ORVs are used off appropriate roads or trails, they can be very environmentally destructive, especially if the ORVs are used in environmentally sensitive areas. In 2011 the BC government passed laws banning ORV activities that cause harm to Crown lands, explaining, in an educational pamphlet, that:

Whenever you drive off-road, you are disrupting the ecological foundation of our natural areas. In sensitive sites, the damage can be catastrophic. … Operating vehicles irresponsibly can cause long-term irreparable changes to the structure of the soil, making it difficult for plants to take root and grow. … Off-roading in wetlands kills birds, frogs and salamanders. Damaged wetlands may impact many generations of wildlife due to the lack of plant life and clean water.

f350ps
10-14-2014, 08:03 PM
Of course! K

itsy bitsy xj
10-14-2014, 08:29 PM

No they are very quiet

fuzzybiscuit
10-14-2014, 08:49 PM
My Conquest with tracks is less PSI on the ground than a person walking.

Plus, you'd have a hard time walking in a marsh. Do I think a boat of some sorts would be better? Sure do.

Sofa King
10-14-2014, 09:28 PM
it's amazing how now atv's destroy the environment and absolutely need controlled out there, but logging, mining, pipelines, etc, are just lovely.

f350ps
10-14-2014, 09:51 PM
Ok Steve, if we are talking Ladner marsh here's something to think about, but it applies to most tidal marshes I would think. Freshet rips the shit outta the marsh, especially when it's packing a $hit load of logs and crap. Then we get a really hard freeze and the ice cleans a bunch of vegetation out so in the whole scheme of things an Argo would be pretty insignificant in my opinion. I guess if the numbers became like quads in the bush there could be an argument against them but I don't ever see that happening, heading out there in one is a death wish! K

Ranger95
10-14-2014, 09:56 PM
Hey Steve - let us know when you plan to go adventuring on your Argo - we will back you up with Kudus new boat - it runs in 2" of water with the prop jacked up into the tunnel.

josh

Treed
10-14-2014, 10:09 PM
Wetlands are one of those environmentally sensitive areas. As with most things, depending on the CO you may wind up with anything from a slap on the wrist to the threat of a 100,000k fine.

Sofa King
10-14-2014, 10:14 PM
Wetlands are one of those environmentally sensitive areas. As with most things, depending on the CO you may wind up with anything from a slap on the wrist to the threat of a 100,000k fine.

if it's just the threat, then they are basically both just slaps on the wrist.
thought I heard that a guy down by osoyoos a couple years ago went out 4xing and got stuck in a mudpit kinda like spotted lake, I don't think it was spotted lake.
I remember something about him being fined $100 000, or, maybe it was just that he could have gotten that.

Big Lew
10-15-2014, 08:03 AM
Many years ago my dad and I looked into getting one, but after seeing the damage caused
by their steering system during a demonstration in soft vegetation, we decided not to. I can
see why there could be rules against them in environmentally sensitive areas.

CRS
10-15-2014, 05:00 PM
I used to have a Vanguard2. After 2 yrs of it I wouldn't dream of taking it in a marsh. Might be ok plodding along in the channels and to go over a beaver damn but if there was current you'd be screwed. That or trying to get thru some heavy tall grass w no real bottom it would chew the crap out of the marsh. I'd go for a 12' boat, 5-9.9hp and a pair of waders....

Dano
10-15-2014, 08:55 PM
No motorized vehicles in the Pitt Marsh. The definition in the regulations state boats with motors aren't classed as motor vehicles:
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa264/Canso_Dan/1fafe813-3c28-4aab-aa12-f3229fbef4f0_zpsc93fb771.jpg~original