PDA

View Full Version : Region 3 season finale and bummer sequel to last weekend

caddisguy
10-14-2014, 03:06 PM
Last week I posted about blowing a shot at a spike from the side of a stump Saturday Oct 4th. On one hand, though the rifle slid a little bit simultaneously with the point-of-no-return, I still felt it should have hit the deer. On the other hand, the deer walked away into the treeline like nothing happened and there was no blood at the sight or the path it took do the treeline.

To summarize, I marked the exact spot he stood when I took the spot, as well as the path to the treeline. Waited a while and went in... no blood, no nothing. I spent a good 3 hours, weaving my way through the maze of Christmas trees, half expecting to have a bear or moose mow me down. Sure enough a small brown phase black bear--maybe 60lbs--dashed by me. After hours and searching and no sign what so ever, I was certain I missed and with a pretty small bear and maybe a sow around it's probably time to go.

Chapter 1) When your heart sinks

I went to the same area this weekend. On Saturday afternoon, we decided to push the tree line from the other side and spook them out into the cut block. I saw some fresh bear sign which made me a little bit uneasy weaving through all these 10-15 with limited visibility. I started thinking of the bear from last week. Was there a big sow around? Are these grizz in the region? I passed through some more trees, still about 50 yards from being out of the bush and there it was, right at our feet. It was the spike buck from last week. I'm 98% certain. In fact, I probably walked within 10 yards of it last week, if it was there. Fairly big spike with tiny slivers up top. Something dug a good trench and covered him up and even packed it down pretty good. Just guessing by the parts that were exposed that it was around half eaten. Meat hanging off the ribs looked fairly fresh and it didn't seem to smell much at all. The one eye that was exposed was fully in tact. Decided to get out of dodge and leave the way we came rather than continuing on to push the treeline incase something was going to defend the carcass. Figured he didn't get charged coming in that way, so we should be ok going out that way.

Now I'm driving myself nuts. What happened? Did I actually hit it? Maybe a gut shot? I'll never know? If the eye was still in tact, the meat looked fresh and it did not smell bad at all, how long was it dead? The one eye that I could see hadn't been picked out by anything. Wouldn't birds have picked the eye out? I would like to think that I did not hit it, but it seems like quite a coinsidence that it is the one I shot at. I suppose it is possible someone else shot it on a later day. He did have a habit of hanging out in the same old slash every morning... strictly predator is another possibility. What do I do? Do I cut my tag?

Chapter 2) The Storm

On Saturday night, we were hiking back to the jeep. It was getting dark fast and there was a storm coming in. We started getting pelted by hail and wind. The lightning went from being close to right over us. Being on the plateau, I wasn't sure whether we were better off close to the trees leaning over in the wind or out in the open under the lightning carrying a rifle. Made it back to the jeep which had trees bending over it. No time to let it warm up... gotta get off the top of this mountain... turned the key, flipped on the lights and hit the gas. Took the top off a tree that came down in front of us. The frame of my room rack snapped it off, but the broken off whacked the side mirror so hard it broke the plastic. Looking back on it, that very exciting and downright awesome.

Chapter 3) Sunday

The deer seem to be moving around all day. Maybe the storm the night before kept them bedded down most of the night. I think the hail and rain were brief, but it was fairly windy most of the night. There were does everywhere and most were not bothered by our presense. Some would walk up pretty close to us and were perfectly relaxed. I wasn't very interested in finding a buck at this point. I still feel weird after finding the spike in the bush and not knowing whether or not I contributed to that. My girlfriend on the other hand really wanted to get her first deer, so I tried by best to me enthusiastic. We watched some moose for a while but decided to call it a night and road hunt our way down the mountain. On the way, we spotted some does that looked familiar. A two-set and a three-set of does we saw separately were now hanging out together. There was a 6th deer. It was a spike at around 40-50 yards. I stopped "There's a spike! Go get him!". It was just staring at us, but by the time she got out and loaded her 30-06 the spike was on the move. He kept moving further away and would only turn around when his vitals were obstructed by obstacle. He made it all the way to the treeline without giving an opportunity. We only had a few minutes of decent light, so there was no point trying to stalk it down.

Chapter 4) Moosed Opportunity

I woke up Monday morning feeling ill. Got some caffiene in me and started driving back up the mountain thinking it would pass and I would feel better. Nope. Made it to the top, got out and proceeded to heave on the side of the road for some time... the upcoming 5 hour drive home becoming more daunting and seemlingly impossible. I turned around and noticed the 3 moose from the day before we watching me a ways up the hill. I got in the jeep and pulled ahead and off to the side of the road. I needed to rest for a couple hours before the long drive. The bull moose came down... eventually 40 yards or so. He was massive. I think I could have could have fit the jeep through this antlers. I watched them for as long as I could before I had to pass out. Left the girlfriend on moose watch. Apparently they hung around for quite a while. I made the long drive home. A 5 hour drive can sure seem like 20 when your stomach is up-side-down. Thinking about how cool those moose were got me through it.

I don't want to get into stories about injured deer or what people have seen out in the bush, but I am interested in what you guys think happened with this spike, knowing that he walked away like nothing happened, no blood trail, carcass claimed by a bear but smells fairly fresh with eye ball still in tact a week later. What should I do? Do I cut my tag and buy another? I half thought about notifying someone about the carcass because of the bear hazard, but realize bears claim carcasses all the time and it is unlikely anyone would ever hike in there anyway, coupled with the fact it is probably fully consumed by now. Stories about storms, or falling ill during a hunt could be interesting to add though.

I doubt I will be back to Region 3 this year, but I'll hunt 2 a little bit. I'm bummed. I feel like crap, being sick, about the deer, my odds at success for this season tanking. I thought for sure Region 3 any buck would be a gimme. My optimism has taken a toll. I'm trying to psych myself out into hiking into my Region 2 spots to check the cameras. Maybe after some days of not hunting the urge will come back.

adriaticum
10-14-2014, 03:20 PM
No point in beating yourself over it. Bears, cougars and wolves kill and eat deer.
You did your best to see if you shot it and just leave it at that. You clearly didn't find any blood.

adriaticum
10-14-2014, 03:22 PM
On another note if you had opportunities to take a whitetail doe and didn't that's a bummer.

Lillypuff
10-14-2014, 03:25 PM
Shit happens. Nobody feels worse than you and has happened to most of us in the younger years. Dont cut your tag

caddisguy
10-14-2014, 03:36 PM
On another note if you had opportunities to take a whitetail doe and didn't that's a bummer.

That happened last season. I was not quick enough to identify that it was a whitetail. Now I'm quick to identify species and confirm sex. It's amazing now many does grow wood--albeit chopsticks--after you glass them for a bit and they move their ears around.

adriaticum
10-14-2014, 03:40 PM
That happened last season. I was not quick enough to identify that it was a whitetail. Now I'm quick to identify species and confirm sex. It's amazing now many does grow wood--albeit chopsticks--after you glass them for a bit and they move their ears around.

Indeed. But right now anything that waves at you is fair game. I didn't get a whitetail this weekend but was so close could have punched it dead. Don’t give up season is still young. I have to take a breather but will be back up there for the closure of doe season. I was so close 4 occasions I'm seeing white flags now even with eyes closed.

Sleep Robber
10-14-2014, 03:41 PM
My guess is that you killed a deer but didn't find it. I shot a 2 point a few years back and thought for sure I missed as the deer nonchalantly walked into the thickets about 2 or 3 yards away after my shot, I waited for a bit then proceeded to go have a look where he went in. To my surprise the goddam deer was laying dead in a tiny opening about 20 yards inside the thickets. The way he walked though was like nothing touched him !!, I was scratching my fricken head that day boy ???

I guess there's no chance of seeing whether or not there was an entry or exit hole from a bullet eh ??

What would I do ?? Tough one, but I think I'd cut a tag and get another, surely you'll feel better about it in the long run and can still have a chance at harvesting another and I think the fact that the deer was dead right in the vicinity that you were hunting is a little more than coincidence but that's just my opinion, nothing more.

I'm curious as to what others have to share on this........

fuzzybiscuit
10-14-2014, 03:53 PM
Cutting a tag on an animal that you suspect you killed but do not have in your possession is illegal. If you can't find the animal but know that the shot was good and the animal is dead then you could count the animal as one of your bag limit for the season but don't cut the tag.

Don't beat yourself up, you may have just missed.

Sleep Robber
10-14-2014, 04:18 PM
How do you count the animal as one of your bag limit without cutting a tag ?? Not trying to argue but that just seems off to me. I mean in this scenario you would still have the ultimate amount of deer tags in your possession, and if you have that then you can harvest that many deer still .........no ??

Darksith
10-14-2014, 04:20 PM
tears a guy up to know he injured an animal and didn't take it home. It happens, we do our best to ensure it doesn't happen, but that being said it happens. Lesson learned, don't cut your tag, learn from this and don't beat yourself up too much...in time you will not think about it anymore, might take a year, but it will go away, but you will never forget.

BigfishCanada
10-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Deer run and hide, it did, and you walked yards from it, it happens. Still sucks, but good for you on being honest online. I have walked around a kill for an hour for my son to walk up and say there it is!!

caddisguy
10-14-2014, 04:57 PM
My guess is that you killed a deer but didn't find it. I shot a 2 point a few years back and thought for sure I missed as the deer nonchalantly walked into the thickets about 2 or 3 yards away after my shot, I waited for a bit then proceeded to go have a look where he went in. To my surprise the goddam deer was laying dead in a tiny opening about 20 yards inside the thickets. The way he walked though was like nothing touched him !!, I was scratching my fricken head that day boy ???

I guess there's no chance of seeing whether or not there was an entry or exit hole from a bullet eh ??

What would I do ?? Tough one, but I think I'd cut a tag and get another, surely you'll feel better about it in the long run and can still have a chance at harvesting another and I think the fact that the deer was dead right in the vicinity that you were hunting is a little more than coincidence but that's just my opinion, nothing more.

I'm curious as to what others have to share on this........

This guy would have made it 150 yards from ground zero. He was about 50 yards deep in a maze of dense 10-15' tall Christmas trees.

The only information I was able to absorb after stumbling into him was it was most definitely him, that something did a pretty good job burying him, that the meat looked really fresh and it didn't stink. I had hindsight thoughts about doing an autopsy, but I would have had to stick around to fully unearth it to see what I had to work with and I suspect that it was not much. Guessing even a rib shot versus snapped off might be tricky to tell. Thought process went from heart sinking disappointment to holy crap, better get going.

Jedcote50
10-14-2014, 05:03 PM
This is a lesson that some of us have to go through, you tried your best to find evidence of your shot (blood or hair) but if you honestly didn't find anything, then there's not much more you could have done. Console yourself that you did your best - now if you said you didn't try all that hard because you were tired or you wanted to go for a drink then that's a different story. Tracking wounded game after a less than killing shot can be difficult and often only pushes them into deeper cover where you may never find them no matter how good of a tracker you are. As for the odds that this is the same animal you lined up on, it maybe a shame but worrying about that is now just a waste of energy. Use that time and energy to focus on the next opportunity, how can you improve your skills to avoid a similar out come? Perhaps more target practice in various positions not just sitting at the bench will revitalize your confidence in your ability. You did do the right thing by not hanging around a partially buried carcass, whatever predator claimed it may have forced you into conflict that would have only made matters worse. It is also good of you to work through the emotions that you're feeling and not let that fester up inside causing anxiety and ill feelings that may have manifested in your spell of nausea.
Personally I would not cut my tag in this circumstance. I bet that the next shot you take at some game will be a lot more deliberate and precise. Keep your chin up, especially when tracking wounded game - far too any people get lost in looking for tracks when they should be looking ahead (and side to side).
It's just a part of life, $hit happens and it could have been worse. You sound like a conscientious and intelligent person, the kind we need to see out enjoying this great province. Don't give up now you're just starting to learn what it means to be a hunter and just not a shooter.
. . . Jed

caddisguy
10-14-2014, 06:42 PM
I appreciate all the feedback. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I do tend to beat myself up and dwell on things. I wish that was something I could switch off. One thing is for certain though is that time will dull down the more intense feelings.A spec of blood or some fur would have kept me going for the rest of that day and the next one. 3 or 4 hours and no sign, deciding I missed. I guess the main things to learn here is that if you need a shooting rest, make sure it's 100% stable. And no blood means nothing. That initial instinct "I must have hit it" is probably correct. My motives for posting the story were a little self centered. I was grasping, hoping for feedback like "no way that kill could have been a week old. It would be stinky with it's eyes pecked out" ... "it's just a coinsidence" ... etc. The denial is pretty much out of the picture. Regarding the tag, from the legal standpoint I won't cut it. From an ethics perspective, I'll count it against my bag limits... my Region 3 mule. I don't think I'll get back up this fall anyway. All that driving and hunting dawn until dusk takes it's toll. The rest of my season will likely be local, trying to apply scientific methods and learning more in an area where deer are difficult to find and terrain is unfavorable. The odds of me getting a deer this season are now low, but I am glad to have discovered a good out-of-town spot where there are plenty of bucks and few hunters though. That and whatever I learn from exploring my mountain of choice in Region 2 along with the trailcam intel will be a level of success.