PDA

View Full Version : Kimber 280 Ackley Improved??

cassiarkid
10-14-2014, 02:41 PM
Looking at possibly getting a new mountain rifle. I have been swaying towards the Kimber Mountain Ascent Rifle. I would prefer a 7mm Rem Mag, but the closest caliber they have is the 280 Ackley Improved. Has anyone out there used this caliber before?? I reload my own shells, so I'm not worried about finding a box at the local gun store. Looking to hunt Elk and Deer and possible Moose with it.

Cheers

sheepaholic
10-14-2014, 03:01 PM
I have a kimber montana 280ai I love the caliber I'm shooting a140 gr berger at close to 3200 fps I wouldn't be afraid to use it on any North American game

RiverOtter
10-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Could rebarrel a vanilla Montana and still be money ahead over the Ascent......

Nothing wrong with a 280 Improved, especially if you reload. Bullets is far more important than head stamps.

REMINGTON JIM
10-14-2014, 04:31 PM
280 AI is nearly as good a a 7mm Rem mag - go for it ! RJ jmo :wink:

goinghunting
10-14-2014, 05:11 PM
My dad and a buddy both have that exact gun. Both tack drivers and joy to pack!

sheepaholic
10-14-2014, 05:21 PM
Not sure the ascent is worth the extra money over the regular Montana
i've put an aluminum trigger guard on mine and will be getting the bolt and handle fluted and I should be down to just about the same weight as an ascent without fluting my barrel but that's just my opinion can't go wrong either way

Coop
10-15-2014, 08:32 AM
I've been packing the Mountain Ascent (280 AI) in the mountains this year and couldn't be more thrilled. I'll admit, after I purchased it and before it delivered I had some "buyer's remorse". Just thinking "why would you spend so much money...is it worth it wah wah". Once I received the rifle I was so pleased to feel the weight of it. Just a delight. Threw a scope on her and my very first three shots with factory ammo were super tight. A few clicks to adjust the scope and she's on the money. I have never shot so well and with no recoil to speak of it's a pleasure to shoot. I just don't see myself reaching for another rifle so with hopefully another 20 years or so of hunting in me...no regrets. There's no other gun I'd rather carry.

rcar
10-15-2014, 09:32 AM
The nice thing about a non-magnum calibre for mountain shooting is the reduced recoil. Steep angle shooting with magnums can often result in a nasty scope gash if you don't have a large amount of eye relief.

ryanshaw44
10-15-2014, 09:32 AM
I got one coming from prophet river should be here in jan/feb...go for it!!