PDA

View Full Version : Spike buck in velvet??

sdurango41
10-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Just returned from a successful trip to 5-13. Once I have photos downloaded I will post story and pics.
On another note when we were hunting in the timber we jumped a few deer and one of them turned out to be a little spike but he was in total velvet. Why would a buck be in velvet in the first week of October? I have heard mention a does that end up growing antlers? Could that have been one? My dad also saw a spike in velvet in a totally different area. Can anyone provide asome insight into this?

Darksith
10-14-2014, 04:21 PM
could be a lady buck...last year my buddy shot a white tail spiker with no cock or balls, was still in velvet in november...

Ozone
10-14-2014, 04:34 PM
I have heard if a buck gets a kick to the junk it can do this also.

stroh72
10-14-2014, 07:33 PM
We also just got back from 5-13. I shot my little LEH bull moose and he too was just coming out of velvet. October 7. So warm we had mosquitoes in camp.

Blacktail
10-16-2014, 04:34 PM
A number of years ago I shot a big heavy body blacktail spike buck that was still in velvet
Turned out to be a hermaphrodite deer( dual sex)
Had a pecker but no nuts.

Jim Prawn
10-18-2014, 06:05 PM
Have see a whitetail doe with spikes in velvet in October. Also have seen some injured male spikes still in velvet late into the season.
JP