PDA

View Full Version : Hixon

ratherbefishin
10-14-2014, 05:59 AM
Land quest has a piece of riverfront property up around Hixon,south of PG for sale at a good price,anybody hunt that area?on our drive home last week we saw a lot of deer along the highway,although it was night.Is there much crown land,or do you have to buy your own to hunt on?

Salty
10-14-2014, 10:15 AM
My memories of that area.. all along the highway and somewhat along the river is mainly private land but there's tons of crown land in behind that. I'd have a look at the backroad map book and study the forestry roads that'll give you an indication of access to C L.

Kopper
10-14-2014, 10:50 AM
What road is it on? My uncle has ranched there for many years. Lots of deer in the fields, mooses, apparently elk too but I guess they are mostly on the west side of the river. Black bears, wolves, and the odd cat track for predators. Salty is right most of the crown is farther away from the river but I hear lots of the farmers don't hunt so they don't mind you getting rid of their pesty wildlife.

takla1
10-14-2014, 06:47 PM
I hunted that area for many yrs.zipper mouth mnt,loose lips creek,ect ect.Used to take my boys in there for the youth hunts/limited sept 10 every yr and always got game.Altho youth could shoot does at the time.The hunting is actually better on the other side of the hyway up to the mnts then on the west side we found.Last few yrs in tho it got busy and there was too much pressure.When the shooting starts the game adjust quickly,mostly noctural
I seen that parcial of land as well but theres no rd access.

Drache
10-14-2014, 10:56 PM
I was at hunting the Genevieve Lake area just a couple weeks ago. Sadly saw not a single living animal :(

pete_k
10-15-2014, 01:02 AM
You may loose a lot of kill shots.
The long edge of those 2 parcels are right on hwy97.
Remember the 400m no shoot zone...

Still though. A beauty piece of land.
A little salt lick by the creek might produce for you.

Jagermeister
10-15-2014, 09:40 AM
I was at hunting the Genevieve Lake area just a couple weeks ago. Sadly saw not a single living animal :(
Did you know there was a "townsite" there at one time? Started to decline in the early '50s when WAC Bennett came to power and gave all the forest tenure to the big boys. Dunkley has it all now but they were not the Wacky recipient at the time. All the "gypo" operations bit the dust as they lost their allotment. In the early '70s, the store and a couple of smaller buidings in disrepair were all that was left. They were above the road that skirts the north side of the lake and goes around to the south-east. Not too far from the cabin on the lake if that is still standing.
There was a mill at Stony Lake too. The beehive was still standing also in the early '70s.
Drache, that is a better late season area after the snow has fallen higher up and has driven the moose to lower altitudes. The rail line down below takes it toll in the winter time when bullwinkle gets on the rail right of way and won't or can't get off.

Drache
10-15-2014, 10:23 AM
Did you know there was a "townsite" there at one time? Started to decline in the early '50s when WAC Bennett came to power and gave all the forest tenure to the big boys. Dunkley has it all now but they were not the Wacky recipient at the time. All the "gypo" operations bit the dust as they lost their allotment. In the early '70s, the store and a couple of smaller buidings in disrepair were all that was left. They were above the road that skirts the north side of the lake and goes around to the south-east. Not too far from the cabin on the lake if that is still standing.
There was a mill at Stony Lake too. The beehive was still standing also in the early '70s.
Drache, that is a better late season area after the snow has fallen higher up and has driven the moose to lower altitudes. The rail line down below takes it toll in the winter time when bullwinkle gets on the rail right of way and won't or can't get off.

My grandfather hunted the area long before I was born and took many moose from that area in his years. I actually own the rifle he took all those moose with. I don't hunt the area very much but was hoping for a nice spike fork bull with my dad since there is no open moose season in Region 5 anymore.

Drillbit
10-15-2014, 11:46 AM
Great info!

How about how Hazeltine creek got it's name? I missed that one

Jagermeister
10-15-2014, 07:51 PM
I believe Hazeltine Creek and Point were named after a Cariboo region F&W branch employee by surname of Hazeltine. He was the predator control officer for the branch.
MoF personel were in the habit of naming land features that were un-named. They would assign names of family, friends and colleagues.

Drillbit
10-15-2014, 08:24 PM
^Thanks Jager!

boxhitch
10-15-2014, 08:44 PM
That must be a good area for moose , never seen so many 'moose crossing' signs as south of Hixon
We used to hunt west on the Chubb Lake Road , lots of moose and good mulies along the river.