PDA

View Full Version : PAL status on the RCMP site?

ajr5406
10-13-2014, 12:48 PM
I sent my PAL application (non-restricted) in about a month ago. I appreciate there is a waiting period etc, but when I check the RCMP site for application status, it says that there is no record of my application...

Has anyone else had this?? Im still within the waiting period, but I dont want to wait and wait only to find out my application got lost in the mail. Is there anything else I could do?

Thanks in advance!

Ferenc
10-13-2014, 01:22 PM
You have to call them..... My brother has been waiting for one year for his pal... Yes one year ... Called them and they said it's still under review ..none of his references have been call either ... Not a renewal ,first time applicant... Process happens back east ... Then finalized by the Chief Firearms Officer out here I guess...

ajr5406
10-13-2014, 01:28 PM
What?!? One year?!? What a stupid, stupid system this is.

Thats insane! I called this week and they were polite on the phone... Ill try and call again this week.

Ferenc
10-13-2014, 01:36 PM
Yep not to sure about this one ... Brothers a good guy never been in trouble...Ever..he's a fisherman by heart just wants to get into huntin... But when I called For my brother I talked to a lady back east in Mirimachi not the RCMP ... She was the one that said it was under review ... And that received the pal application in good order...???????

ajr5406
10-13-2014, 01:50 PM
Interesting....

I could understand if someone has a criminal record, or the like. But in your brothers case (and mine), clean as a whistle! I have been in Canada for less than 4 years so also had to submit a criminal record check from my home country (Australia) and it was also completely clear too.

Oh well, looks like buying a rifle for this years deer season is slowly getting less and less likely...

squamishhunter
10-13-2014, 02:08 PM
Have you done your interview? Has your CC been charged?

Edzzed
10-13-2014, 02:08 PM
I have a POL and upgraded to a PAL. I also went to the web site and all I could get was info on my POL and at the one month point it still had the same info so I called and they told me they do not have any record of a PAL application so I went through the send everything again thing. This time I sent it via registered mail. Two days later I went to the web site and it then said under review. Crap they did get it so called to advise that I had resent the application. They asked for the tracking number so I would not get billed twice. About two weeks later I had my PAL in hand.

ajr5406
10-13-2014, 02:11 PM
Have you done your interview? Has your CC been charged?

Nope, no interview and no charge on my CC.

Johnh
10-13-2014, 04:16 PM
The reason there is no record of your application is because of the backlog. When I called for mine, the lady (who was very helpful) said that most of the waiting period is in fact the backlog. Until they open your application, there will be no record of it in your application. Watch your credit card online. Charging your credit card is the very first thing they do. Once that happens, the process is a little more quick.....as long as your references answer their phone! Once you see the credit card charge, they will be able to tell you what stage your application is in. Hope that helps.

Ryan.
10-13-2014, 04:57 PM
It's very hit and miss how it goes. My non restricted took 90 days to get approved. I phoned once a week to bug them. Year later I did my restricted with 2 other people. We all got out licences in 35 days to our door.

Everett
10-13-2014, 07:22 PM
The trick is to send your application in and require a signature that starts the clock rolling.

squamishhunter
10-13-2014, 08:07 PM
Shoulda googled it before you sent it.

Always in registered mail - makes them responsible and gives you a "start" date.
Call in 2 weeks after its received and they have to do your interview.
For RPAL - You can call in on behalf of your references and hand over the phone.
Keep periodically calling in and ask whats needed, as they won't tell you.

Jagermeister
10-13-2014, 08:56 PM
Time for you to call 1-800-731-4000 and enter 9540 when prompted for the extension. In the southern interior, it will be the same number, the extension is 9530.

ajr5406
10-14-2014, 07:35 AM
Time for you to call 1-800-731-4000 (tel:1-800-731-4000) and enter 9540 when prompted for the extension. In the southern interior, it will be the same number, the extension is 9530.

Thanks! Will call them today. Crazy how inefficient the system is. I can understand (and agree with the fact) that getting a firearm shouldn't be as simple as walking into te grocery store and buying one, but this is over the top.

300win
10-14-2014, 08:05 AM
Its like any other goverment response, the Harper government has cut back on most processes, look at the troubles with Service Canada. I believe the renewal process (PAL<>POL) is going to be 10 years instead of 5...?

ajr5406
10-15-2014, 07:50 AM
Well, after a few phone calls and some complaining on HBC, my credit card has finally been charged for the PAL! Any idea how long it takes to arrive once the CC has been charged?

IronNoggin
10-15-2014, 10:50 AM
You have to call them..... My brother has been waiting for one year for his pal... Yes one year ... Called them and they said it's still under review ..none of his references have been call either ... Not a renewal ,first time applicant... Process happens back east ... Then finalized by the Chief Firearms Officer out here I guess...

I have a Good Buddy in the same boat. processed through Miramichi within a couple weeks. Held up in BC CFO for almost a full year at this point despite repeated calls. No record. WTF??? :confused:

Totally Unacceptable! :evil:

Nog

Johnh
10-15-2014, 04:31 PM
Well, after a few phone calls and some complaining on HBC, my credit card has finally been charged for the PAL! Any idea how long it takes to arrive once the CC has been charged?

I think it took me another 3 weeks or so.....my friend waited 1.5 months though....the one thing that you can do to ensure there are no delays it to have your references call the 800 number to do the interview. All they need is your application number, which you can get.

ajr5406
10-18-2014, 07:04 AM
I think it took me another 3 weeks or so.....my friend waited 1.5 months though....the one thing that you can do to ensure there are no delays it to have your references call the 800 number to do the interview. All they need is your application number, which you can get.

Thanks! Good advice...

Siwash Sports
08-08-2015, 09:59 PM
I run into this every day they are back logged

Alec
08-10-2015, 02:59 PM
Some persons have a name that is similar to someone else who may not be as clear of trouble as you. By the time the two are sorted out might take over a month. Don't be a John Doe, or it will take for ever to get things straight.