PDA

View Full Version : Waterfowl Etiquette?

albravo2
10-13-2014, 10:17 AM
As a new waterfowl hunter I've been avoiding the busier areas, largely because I don't know the etiquette and don't want to ruin someone else's hunt but the other etiquette thread made me realize that I'll never learn how to hunt alongside other hunters if I keep driving 3 or 4 hours to find an empty hole.

So here's your chance to educate a new hunter before he gets in your way. Please throw out a point or two toward a responsible code of conduct.

As a primer, here are a few issues I am uncertain about:

- If you are arriving later in the day (for whatever reason) how do you launch, go to your spot, and get set up without unduly inconveniencing hunters that are already set up?
- How far away should you be from other set ups?
- How far will a shotgun shoot? I know this sounds like a dumb question, but when I was doing the Ladner clean up last year one of the experienced guys was showing us around and he said it isn't uncommon for hunters to set up on both sides of the river, occasionally shooting toward each other. I'd guess the river was about 200 yards wide at that point and all my hunter training and common sense said that was too close. I'd certainly never think of pointing a rifle up into the sky and pulling the trigger even if I saw a 6 point bull elk with wings. Also, when shooting in a marsh it is really hard to establish what is on the other side of the other side that you are shooting toward.

I'm sure there are numerous other issues, that I haven't even thought about yet.

So, what is your one or two tips for a beginner?

Steelpulse
10-13-2014, 11:19 AM
Shooting 200 yards to other side of river not really an issue you may rain shot on the other side but it's no big deal my brother and I routinely set up on other side of the marsh from each other and shoot straight up making shot drop come down and hit us all the time

dpnt arrive late haha, best movement is usually right at first light, but we all sleep in a little sometimes so just move in quickly and quietly if you disturb someone it happens it's public land everyone can't possibly keep out of the way of everyone when they don't know where they are

i have never had a issue with too many hunters in one area lucky for us we have some great public spots and private spots back in Ontario and have never had this come up but if it did I would say 200 yards min. But others may disagree not sure on this one

Kopper
10-13-2014, 11:42 AM
Shooting 200 yards to other side of river not really an issue you may rain shot on the other side but it's no big deal my brother and I routinely set up on other side of the marsh from each other and shoot straight up making shot drop come down and hit us all the time

While your brother and you may be okay with dropping shot on each other I can't imagine a complete stranger would be okay with that. I certainly wouldn't if I was getting hit with shot. While this may just be my opinion but I would recommend not being within a close enough proximity to other hunters as to drop shot on them. Not only is that safer and more courteous, but hunting anything farther away from others is a better experience IMO. I do not hunt in your area Albravo so not too sure if you can get around that but that's my 2 cents.

Steelpulse
10-13-2014, 12:27 PM
Good point indeed, setting up a much greater distance away is a better idea that would be the minimum though I would say

While your brother and you may be okay with dropping shot on each other I can't imagine a complete stranger would be okay with that. I certainly wouldn't if I was getting hit with shot. While this may just be my opinion but I would recommend not being within a close enough proximity to other hunters as to drop shot on them. Not only is that safer and more courteous, but hunting anything farther away from others is a better experience IMO. I do not hunt in your area Albravo so not too sure if you can get around that but that's my 2 cents.

lorneparker1
10-13-2014, 12:57 PM
As a new waterfowl hunter I've been avoiding the busier areas, largely because I don't know the etiquette and don't want to ruin someone else's hunt but the other etiquette thread made me realize that I'll never learn how to hunt alongside other hunters if I keep driving 3 or 4 hours to find an empty hole.

So here's your chance to educate a new hunter before he gets in your way. Please throw out a point or two toward a responsible code of conduct.

As a primer, here are a few issues I am uncertain about:

- If you are arriving later in the day (for whatever reason) how do you launch, go to your spot, and get set up without unduly inconveniencing hunters that are already set up?

IMO if you are not there and set up for first light, and there are other people hunting in a water/marsh spot, you should wait till the afternoon for the afternoon flights. Setting up mid morning when there are other hunters is bad etiquette in my opinion. In a field scenario if you show up late and you both have permission and someone beats you to that field, you should either ask them to hunt together or leave. IF you ask them to hunt together and they say no, then IMO you don't hunt there. If you get beat to a field, setting up in that same field ESPECIALLY down wind of someone is about as big of a dick move as there is. IF you want to hunt ducks get out of bed. IF you want to come mid morning somewhere, do it where you are the only one.

- How far away should you be from other set ups?

As mentioned in a field I think 2 set ups is a bad idea. No one wins in this scenario. This question is also scenario specific. If you think its to close it probably is. Wind direction and speed also matter, raining shot on someone is not cool or ok. id say a 300-400 yards minimum in most scenarios. Thick marshy areas can tolerate a bit closer. The problem with hunting to close is not just safety, but there is nothing more frustrating then having birds working your spread and people shooting that are to close flaring your birds before they are in range.

- How far will a shotgun shoot? I know this sounds like a dumb question, but when I was doing the Ladner clean up last year one of the experienced guys was showing us around and he said it isn't uncommon for hunters to set up on both sides of the river, occasionally shooting toward each other. I'd guess the river was about 200 yards wide at that point and all my hunter training and common sense said that was too close. I'd certainly never think of pointing a rifle up into the sky and pulling the trigger even if I saw a 6 point bull elk with wings. Also, when shooting in a marsh it is really hard to establish what is on the other side of the other side that you are shooting toward.

As mentioned it depends, but I would never shoot towards someone that is 200 yards away that is forsure.

I'm sure there are numerous other issues, that I haven't even thought about yet.

So, what is your one or two tips for a beginner?

Weird 2 etiquette threads in 2 days. Happy to see it. I know people who have hunted there whole life that have almost ZERO etiquette. Some just don't get it, never will. Good on yah