PDA

View Full Version : Arrow with a Cartridge ??

10-13-2014, 09:55 AM
Hi every one,
The other day on WTV I saw an ad for an arrow that shoots a Cartridge at the tip I think it was 38 or 357 caliber, what the hell ? Any one know about these ? are they legal here in BC ? wouldn't the weight of the cartridge really limit the arrow for distance and accuracy ?

What's your thought ?

CT

Amphibious
10-13-2014, 10:19 AM
Powerheads are very common and been around for ages in the Dive industry. They are Illegal in in Canada (considered a prohibited device).

Putting one on an arrow shaft reeks of "hold my beer and watch this" redneckery.

brian
10-13-2014, 10:22 AM
I just had to look this up, I found a video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRavl3tfyGM

The idea is pretty lame though, bullet need a chamber/barrel to work. The chamber forces the expanding gas to propel the bullet at high velocity. Without a chamber the gases expand outward, rupture the case and the bullet goes nowhere.

knockturnal
10-13-2014, 02:07 PM
I may or may not know someone who has some. They are pretty much useless unless you are headshotting pigs. They weigh 600 gr and are only useable once. After some talk with the COs and RCMP, they were deemed illegal as the casing acts like a barrel and it is way undersized of the legal requirements.

Gateholio
10-13-2014, 04:41 PM
Looks like a fun toy. :)

The Hermit
10-13-2014, 05:28 PM
Island Outfitters in Victoria sells them, or something very similar... saw them there last summer not sure if they are still doing so.

Drillbit
10-14-2014, 12:05 AM
Powerheads are very common and been around for ages in the Dive industry. They are Illegal in in Canada (considered a prohibited device).

Putting one on an arrow shaft reeks of "hold my beer and watch this" redneckery.

I've witnessed that sort of Redneckery.

It all started with a garage sale purchase of an old wood crossbow. After all but one bolt was lost shooting then straight up in the air, a 223 cartridge was electrical taped to a hollow crossbow bolt with no head on it. Inside the bolt was the tang of a powersaw file cut off and sharpened up. The crossbow was loaded and pointed up to set the file tang, then shot. On impact the file tang would ignite the primer. Ended up trying all sorts of different cartridges.

Worked ok, but didn't damage anything. Even a 30-06 taped to the end only put a small dent in the side of a truck on impact. And most likely the dent was from the original impact and not the cartridge firing. It was a pretty entertaining afternoon:)