PDA

View Full Version : hunter etiquette

rain112
10-12-2014, 05:35 PM
Opening day was great yesterday. Except for some new hunters that make me shake my head. My hunting partner and I were in our blind by 5.30am, decs set and ready to go. Around 6am 2 hunters in a canoe come by, scouting for a spot- on opening day! They eventually settle for a spot about 60-80 yards from us, and spend the start of the hunt with their flashlighs on, standing and yelling. Then 2 doubled to 4 somehow, I guess they picked some guys off the dyke.

About 40 minutes into hunting, shot rips through our blind and pelts me and my partner- thank god we had our backs to these guys.

After about 2 hours they decide that they wernt cozied up enough to us, and move to about 40 yards from us, scaring every bird in the process.

So please, to you newbs;
1)Scout your spot before opening day!
2) you have 100s of acres to hunt, spread out
3) dont aim or shoot other ppl- just aiming a gun at some1 is 5 years in jail

sky-gunner
10-12-2014, 05:47 PM
So they shot at you guys? That is severly f'd up. Id not be able to stay calm and composed in that situation at all, so congrats for not doing time for homicide. Sorry to hear they ruined your hunt. Thats brutal man. You sound like a guy with a hell of alot of patience.

Spy
10-12-2014, 09:00 PM
Welcome to HBC lol ! So when you got sprayed by shot from these guys you did what? Did you go talk to them ? Sounds a bit far fetched, how about some pics?

HarryToolips
10-12-2014, 09:23 PM
Shoulda kicked em in the balls and thrown em in the drink...

russm
10-12-2014, 09:38 PM
Do you know they purposely aimed at you? Maybe they didnt know you were there? I'm pretty sure people aren't going to purposely "aim" at you if they knew you were beside them...

rain112
10-12-2014, 09:45 PM
They knew we were there, they said hello to us on the way to their spot. I doubt it was an intentional shot on us, more like a shot on a bird but we were in the line of fire. Thats no excuse, u should always know whats beyond your target. We yelled at them after this, they didnt really say anything back to us. Not sure how its far fetched. It happened - I was there

http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/w636/rain1122/Mobile%20Uploads/20141011_075532_zps379b63dc.jpg (http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/rain1122/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20141011_075532_zps379b63dc.jpg.html)

itsy bitsy xj
10-12-2014, 09:46 PM
WOW!! Glad to hear you guy are ok after being shot

Big Lew
10-12-2014, 10:14 PM
I wouldn't say it was far fetched at all. I also have been in a similar situation but I admit I didn't
handle it as well as you did. I had put out a large decoy set in a Harrison bay, separated from the river
by a long narrow gravel bar. I was using a large lone stump in the bay as a blind.
Two men drew their boat up onto the bar, noticed my decoys, and planted themselves as close to them
as they could. As the decoys were between us, and we were both within range of each other, I advised
them to move further away for safety's sake. Not only didn't they move, they shot in my direction as
low flying divers came ripping by. I saw what was about to happen so I ducked behind the stump.
That's when I lost my temper and told them if even one more pellet came by me I would return fire with
bb goose shot. They got the message and left. I'm not saying that what I did was right. My other option
which maybe I could have taken was to pick up my decoys and leave, but at the time I didn't think I was
the one that should have.

heyblast
10-13-2014, 09:31 AM
Why didn't you report this to RAPP. You have a photo showing them and their location to you. If your story is true and I believe it is, then charges need to laid. There is no excuse for this to happen.

r106
10-13-2014, 09:41 AM
Why didn't you report this to RAPP. You have a photo showing them and their location to you. If your story is true and I believe it is, then charges need to laid. There is no excuse for this to happen.

RAPP?? If someone fired a shot or two towards me and they new I was there I would call the cops. Accident or not thats f**king dangerous

Foxtail
10-13-2014, 09:53 AM
Definitely needs to be reported. Confronting someone with a firearm can get messy... especially if they have already fired shots towards you.

Spy
10-13-2014, 10:00 AM
If they new you were there and fired in your direction even over you than that is not ok. If they made a mistake and had no clue you were there than you should have gone across and spoken to them about ethical shooting. I cant believe people could be so stupid.

heyblast
10-13-2014, 10:08 AM
RAPP is not just for hunting. Report and the legal body required will be dispatched. The other option is 911, but RAPP
would be a better choice, a CO would have more knowledge of the area that a insendent such as was described occurred and be able to direct the police.

lorneparker1
10-13-2014, 01:02 PM
Wow, glad you are ok. That's brutal. THey would have had call the cops on me if I ever got pelted with shot.

Gr8 white hunter
10-13-2014, 01:30 PM
Hunter étiquette is there such thing ?for some there is but for others there isn't,like we were Moose hunting the end of a road in a huge clear cut for a week in 6-1 clearly noticeable we took a moose into a cooler in Vanderhoof and some ahole comes along and puts his camp right where we were camping.

rain112
10-13-2014, 07:38 PM
An update: 1 of the members of the mentioned group made contact with me an apologized for what happened. We are planning on going for a hunt together so he can learn a bit more.

Spy
10-13-2014, 08:59 PM
An update: 1 of the members of the mentioned group made contact with me an apologized for what happened. We are planning on going for a hunt together so he can learn a bit more.
Awesome :-)

albravo2
10-13-2014, 09:19 PM

That is good news. Me, I'm of the opinion that people are generally pretty decent. We all make mistakes. Good to own it when it happens, and try and learn and move on.

pnbrock
10-14-2014, 06:09 AM
careful he maybe trying to finish you off in the blind,make it look like an accident!!!!lol

fearnodeer
10-14-2014, 06:17 AM
Good on you for taking this guy out, not to many people would after what had happened.

labguy
10-14-2014, 07:12 AM

What a great opportunity for both of you. Many people who start hunting later in life, simply don't know what constitutes being an ethical hunter, because they've never had a good mentor.

Good on you for taking the high road and good on him for maning up and taking responsibility.

BULLNUTTS
10-14-2014, 08:24 AM
Good to hear things worked out in a positive way- kudos to you and good luck on your new friendship.One thing always I do is to have good secondary spots as manny the times others have moved into or found or followed me to my 1st spots and rather than hunt crowded like that I always preferr to move to another spot.I found that very frustrating at first- taking MY spot!! The @#@%@!! lol However after putting the action into service soon found more places than I could hunt- It's a big assed province with lots oppertunities and always another hill to climb.Hunts stay relaxed and enjoyable and yesss I dont get shot at--so far!![Touch wood there! lol] Good Huntin BULLNUTTS