PDA

View Full Version : Fernie bear attack

E.V.B.H.
10-12-2014, 03:09 PM
Just happened this morning, watch your back on those recoveries! Can't seem to get a link working. Story's on CBC

Pioneerman
10-12-2014, 03:11 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/fernie-grizzly-bear-attack-sends-1-man-to-calgary-hospital-1.2796653

A man has been transported by air ambulance to hospital in Calgary after he was attacked by a grizzly bear near Fernie, B.C.

Officials with Alberta-based STARS air ambulance say they responded at around 9:23 a.m. MT Sunday to transport the man from an area about eight kilometres south of Fernie, B.C.

Emergency officials say a man has been airlifted to a Calgary hospital where he remains in critical condition, after a bear attack in Fernie, B.C. (CBC)

The 56-year-old had been mauled by the bear. A STARS ambulance attendant said he was also shot by another hunter who tried to stop the animal from attacking the victim.
B.C.'s environment ministry says the hunting partner managed to kill the bear and was not injured in the incident.
The victim was brought out of the woods by ATV and then transported by STARS to Foothills Hospital in Calgary.
Emergency responders say he was in critical condition. However, the B.C. Ministry of the Environment reported his condition as stable and his injuries as non-life threatening.
Provincial conservation officers from Fernie and Cranbrook, B.C., are examining the scene.

E.V.B.H.
10-12-2014, 03:12 PM
Just saw anther post has already been started in open chat

Pioneerman
10-12-2014, 03:14 PM
As though his day wasn't bad enough being attacked by a bear, but you get shot by your buddy at the same time! What else could he do other than try to kill the bear anyway. Hope he makes out ok.

GotaGun
10-12-2014, 03:19 PM
Survived a grizzly bear attack and a rifle shot, He is one tough SOB.

Glad to hear he survived, hope he recovers well.

M.Dean
10-12-2014, 03:27 PM
As though his day wasn't bad enough being attacked by a bear, but you get shot by your buddy at the same time! What else could he do other than try to kill the bear anyway. Hope he makes out ok. I don't think the other hunter shot the guy that was mauled by the Bear, I think he shot the Bear?

E.V.B.H.
10-12-2014, 03:57 PM
I don't think the other hunter shot the guy that was mauled by the Bear, I think he shot the Bear?

Both, shot the bear and his partner was hit in the lower leg. I was there with Fernie search and rescue and it was very close quarters in dense bush. The bear was dead about 10 yds away. Probably a 6-7 ft younger bear from what I saw.

Islandeer
10-12-2014, 04:40 PM
By south was it as far as Elko?

Trapper
10-12-2014, 04:49 PM
By south was it as far as Elko?
Between elko and fernie......

mike-juliet
10-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Between elko and fernie......

I know that area well, Saw more Bear sign this year than I could remember in years past, best of luck to the victim that he makes a full recovery. I have in the past hunted Solo in that area but after all the bear stories posted this year I am no longer going to make that something that I practice.