PDA

View Full Version : Fun Lesson For my 15 yr Old Tonight

Kami
10-11-2014, 08:34 PM
I took my son out tonight to plant the trail cam. He's due to drop his first buck hopefully this year.
We drove as far as we could on a logging road. Then into a cut block. Came to road's end and headed further into logging slash area. 4x4 in low range we drove into a low lying area to hide the vehicle. Got out walked into what I think, it a prime spot 20 mins away thru some dark timber. Watering hole with no road access, little to no foot traffic and no known quad access yet. Hoof prints galore. Set up the cam and walked back to vehicle at dusk. Crossing a very large cut block we spotted a 4 pt near the edge. 100 yards away. He heard and saw us and bolted right into the timber. I could have dropped him, but my son was not ready. This is his buck so...No go tonight. Deer wandered off. About 1 min later we watched a truck with head lights on, drive in on the same logging road we did. Came to the "road" dead end. This was the point where we carried on, off road in 4x4, hid our vehicle and walked. Driver, stopped, left truck running, looked around for 20 seconds. Turned around, drove away. He never even got out of the truck. He never even saw us. There was no way from his view point would he have had a chance at seeing that 4 pt we did. Great example for my son. I reminded him how ya gotta get out on foot. Get out of the truck. I have really noticed that is when I started to regularly see more deer.

boxhitch
10-11-2014, 09:39 PM
A good lesson time about 'looking without seeing ' , though he may be a little young.
The reason many hunters never see deer is they are expecting to see a deer , and never notice parts of deer .

thebestbrainpossible.com/looking-without-seeing/