PDA

View Full Version : mountain goat question

Grolar
10-11-2014, 10:06 AM
Are you allowed to shoot a nanny when its by herself with no kids.....in region 4 it doesn't say hunters are requested to select a male.......if not what kind of trouble will you be in if it was a accident and you report it

ducktoller
10-11-2014, 10:13 AM
If it says any sex it is any Sex. It's just preferred and more ethical to shoot a male due to harvest sensitivity.

Check the regs to be sure.

monasheemountainman
10-11-2014, 10:19 AM
Did you shoot one?

Grolar
10-11-2014, 10:21 AM
It doesn't say anything it says .....see maps for areas that are closed for hunting......but it just says bag limit 1.....I have gone hunting for those critters and I have pass up two because I couldn't tell, but I was just wondering if you can shoot a nanny

DawsonCreedmoor
10-11-2014, 10:34 AM
Legally you can, but you should do your best not to.

Mistakes do happen, but it is quite easy to identify a billy when you know what to look for.

Have a look here:
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/hunting/goathunting/pdfs/goat_long_quiz_for_web.pdf

If you are having trouble with the horns, have a look for his nutsack!

goatdancer
10-11-2014, 10:35 AM
Read page 25 of the regs. That pertains to the entire province.

decker9
10-11-2014, 10:59 AM
You can , but I'd go without rather then going with a nanny.

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w411/decker1122/61AC4198-23F3-45CC-BCB3-17DF6E277B0F_zpsnhpn0j1n.png (http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/decker1122/media/61AC4198-23F3-45CC-BCB3-17DF6E277B0F_zpsnhpn0j1n.png.html)

Grolar
10-11-2014, 11:20 AM
I know how to tell a billy from a nanny easy.......but when there young adults they look pretty much the same thats why I pass up the two goats

Grolar
10-11-2014, 11:42 AM
Does this go with any region too, that you can shoot a nanny in any region that is legal and has a open season for them?

j270wsm
10-11-2014, 12:26 PM
Are you hunting a GOS or LEh? Your sucessful leh papers will say what your allowed to hunt.

LBM
10-11-2014, 12:30 PM
page 14 and 4 of the regs will help.

Grolar
10-11-2014, 12:38 PM
General open season

604redneck
10-11-2014, 01:24 PM
yes you can shoot a nanny its legal everywhere that u can hunt goats ur still requested to shoot a billy

Jagermeister
10-11-2014, 01:47 PM
Harvesting a nanny is frowned upon because it does not take too many nanny kills to throw the whole herd population dynamics into peril. That is why the preference is to harvest a billy. It's nice to score a kill, but the nanny you dump today will affect the goat you want to hunt tomorrow.
Read this, take the test. See how well you do.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/docs/goat_orientation_08Utah.pdf

You'll feel better when you get a nice billy. Keep passing until you are positive you are on a billy.

Grolar
10-11-2014, 02:36 PM
Im not going to shoot a nanny im just wondering if its legal to harvest one......just scared shit if I got one by accidentally how much shit I would be in

coach
10-11-2014, 02:47 PM
Im not going to shoot a nanny im just wondering if its legal to harvest one......just scared shit if I got one by accidentally how much shit I would be in

As everyone else has told you - you won't be in shit. Killing nannies may, however, result in a future closure of the area you are hunting.

warnniklz
10-11-2014, 03:07 PM
If there's any doubt, let it walk.

If I remember correctly, you can't even shoot a "dry" nanny if she's in a group with kids.

If you know it's a nanny and she's like 1300 goat years old... you're probably doing her a favor.

NorBC
10-11-2014, 03:39 PM
Watch it move between beds for a few hours. If she is with a kid it will follow. Good on you for not taking the shot.

goatdancer
10-11-2014, 03:45 PM
See post #6. Read the page referred to in the regs. It's plain as day.

Mountain Hunter
10-11-2014, 08:49 PM
If I remember correctly, you can't even shoot a "dry" nanny if she's in a group with kids.

Ya, that is correct....

It is unlawful to .....
11. to hunt a female mountain goat accompanying a kid or a female mountain goat in a group that contains one or more kids

boxhitch
10-11-2014, 09:25 PM
So what is a dry nannie ? one without a kid ? thats doesn't mean she isn't capable of bearing young , just means she is currently alone. The term dry is just used as an excuse for killing a female , any species.

Yes , the younger goats are especially hard to tell male from female, but if in doubt just watch them until they pee, no mistaking that stance.

chilcotin hillbilly
10-11-2014, 09:56 PM
Well put Boxhitch.
I had 2 resident hunter head up to my main camp area and kill two nannies out of a heard of 6 nannies and kids. That was a second nanny in 3 years for one guy. That pretty much wiped out that heard. I haven't seen a nanny there in 3 years now. So you decision to find a billy is a good one.

180grainer
10-11-2014, 11:08 PM
Make the effort to know and identify your target and try to shoot a Billy.

604redneck
10-11-2014, 11:10 PM
Thats tough chilcotin hillbilly

Grolar
10-11-2014, 11:32 PM
You cant shoot a nanny or a billy if its in a heard with kids(BOTTOM LINE) because if you screwed up and knocked down the nanny that had the kids no other nanny will take them....all the nannies I seen always have kids with them

warnniklz
10-12-2014, 08:03 AM
^--- or a billy? That doesn't sound right.

I could be wrong...

Rackmastr
10-12-2014, 08:08 AM
You cant shoot a nanny or a billy if its in a heard with kids(BOTTOM LINE) because if you screwed up and knocked down the nanny that had the kids no other nanny will take them....all the nannies I seen always have kids with them

You can shoot a Billy in a herd or in a group. Your "bottom line" only applies to nannies.

Grolar
10-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Oh then I was wrong then .......ooooops

Skull Hunter
10-12-2014, 10:03 PM
I understand your concern. The first goat I shot was a nanny. I thought it might have been a young billy, but in hindsight I was just too impatient. Since then I've gotten 2 more goats, both mature billy's. As has been stated, if you have any doubts, wait it out, once you see a true mature horse faced billy, there will be no doubt whether he's in a group or not. If you're not sure, and it's in a group then don't shoot, but billy's should mostly be on their own or in bachelor groups (at least the mature ones).

BCHunterTV
10-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Go for a billie and pass on the nanny

10-13-2014, 09:47 AM
Just Shoot a Billy ........ Often the Leads of the groups are LONE SINGLE NANNY's, with no kids, it's these Leads that can determine the health of the group.

Don't SHOOT A NANNY

Grolar
10-13-2014, 01:14 PM
Thanks guys for the information

Iron Sighted
10-14-2014, 12:11 PM
I agree with the majority here, don't shoot if you aren't sure it's a billy. I've done two day hikes so far in to my LEH goat area so far, first time I saw a hammer billy but he busted us at 600 yards(things have darned good eyesight). We tried making a play on him but never did get a second look at him. Had multiple opportunities to shoot a nanny later that day, but felt better going home empty handed than to take a nanny.

As was said by someone earlier, you'll be much happier with and prouder of your accomplishment if you do take a billy. For myself, after seeing that big old billy, I know that I'd never be anywhere near satisfied with a nanny.

Oh, and one final comment.....good luck, now go get that billy! I hope I have enough time and cooperative weather to try for mine one final time before I get snowed out.

Grolar
10-18-2014, 01:04 PM
Does BC have a rule if you shoot a nanny you cant do this hunt again for a certain amount of years.....I know alaska has it and its either 6 or 8 years......how much would this rule help goat population?

NorBC
10-18-2014, 01:44 PM
Nope no such thing here. Maybe it depends on the zone, but I've never heard of that.

warnniklz
11-02-2014, 07:22 PM
Going to hijack this thread...

Going to try and stab a goat during the last week of november. Do the G-Pa goats go through a msnopause, or are they still trying to get piece?

warnniklz
11-02-2014, 07:42 PM
Doubled........

BCbillies
11-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Going to hijack this thread...

Going to try and stab a goat during the last week of november. Do the G-Pa goats go through a msnopause, or are they still trying to get piece?

The 12 or 13 year old billies that we've taken in November have been with the ladies . . . whether they're getting all the action is another thing. They were stinky so that's saying they're in the game!

warnniklz
11-02-2014, 08:35 PM
So I guess I won't be looking for a 'meat' goat then... mind you a mountain goat as a first bow kill would be pretty cool

Stone Sheep Steve
11-03-2014, 03:42 AM
Make sure you have a rangefinder with an angle compensator.

Good luck!!

SSS

Looking_4_Jerky
11-04-2014, 11:20 AM
The reason nannies are allowed for harvest is that there is too much room for error and that the sexes are (or at least were at one time) not reasonably discernable in all situations. They would rather allow a hunt and allow an occasional "mistake" than not allow the hunting of mountain goats based on the fact a nanny may inadvertently occasionally be harvested. If it were illegal, dudes that accidentally knocked a nanny down would kick it over a cliff and then go on to keep harvesting goats until they (hopefully) finally got a billy. This way they don't have to, and less goats end up being harvested overall.

It is important to note that the origin of the seasons goes back to a time when goat populations were generally better, less goat country was accessible, hunters equipment was not as advanced, and there were not means like the Internet to spread public information campaigns on how to ID nannies and why we shouldn't choose to harvest them despite that it is legal to do so. There was less reason to be concerned about nanny harvest. And ultimately, it wasn't until 10 years or so ago that the population implications of excessive nanny harvest were beginning to be noted. I believe it was 2004 that a 2.5% AAH began to be used (in region 3, anyway) rather than the previously used 5% AAH. I conducted a goat harvest assessment for region 3 that informed that change. I also did correlations between areas with high nanny harvest and population estimates, and there was statistical significance between population declines and elevated nanny harvest.

For example, if you harvested 10 goats in a year in each of two MUs, but one was 50/50 nanny/billy and the other was 9 billies and 1 nanny, over time the MU with excessive harvest would exhibit disproportionate decline.

I was not aware of the policy in Alaska that sort of "punishes" nanny harvest by not allowing you to partake in hunting goats for a subsequent period if you end up taking a nanny. What an awesome idea!

Ron.C
11-04-2014, 12:06 PM
I can understand for legality as a result of a "mistake", why they allow a lone nanny to be harvested. But I do like what Alaska has done.

We saw several lone nannys this year. One in particular only gave us a skewed view of it, but it was a big lone goat that was worth a closer look before a shot was even considered. But the only reason I can see a nanny being shot is out of impatience. With an ounce of self control on the shooters part and a little work, its not hard to get positive confirmation on the goats sex before you shoot. Hell, most billies we've glassed at some point revealed their massive set of stones. Pretty dead give away. But you have to take the time to observe the goat and be willing to let them walk unless you know 100%.