PDA

View Full Version : my first buck

chrismcd
10-10-2014, 07:57 PM
so after a day of resting my feet and back (which still hurt) im here to thank everyone for there tips and advice on how to bag my first mule deer, and my first animal in general. and 2 ddays ago i finally did it.
i haad a couple days to spare so decided to head up to a new spot. i have gone out 2 for scouting and twice to hunt in september but no luck in even spotting a deer. so i picked a new mountain and decided to spend the night over there. it took 2.5 hrs to hike up i set up tent then went to the peak to see what i was dealing with. the next moring i got up and after only an hour i had spottedd a couple deer on the farthest hill from me. i made my way toward them, by the time i got over there they had travelled another 2 hills. but could see there were 7 in total, all does.
i decided to test my stalking skills anyhow since i had never even seen deer besides on the roads. by the time i krept over there were 2 left on that hill. i got to 35 yards , the wind was blowing perfectly so the deer saw me but went back to feeding every now and then. after about 15 minutes they went to meet up with the rest of the group, and the rest of there group had come back to our hill. the last deer in the group turned out too be a forky, i couldnt believe it. i raised my gun and all but 2 deers, including the buck, noticed me. they all stared while the buck made his way along past them all. eventually giving me a shot
i hit him in the shoulder, he started hoping around and i got scared by all the horor stories of a deer running off so i hit him again. this time in the stomach sadly.
i still cant believe it, my first ever animal.
i completley forgot everything i learned about gutting and quartering, leaving me with what might be the worst gutting ever. after 2 hours cleaning and cutting and 2 trips and 9 hours back to the truck i was finaly on my way home.now the deers at the butchers and im in process of a european mount.

again thanks for everyones help! ill have pics as soon as i figure out how to get them off my phone and onto here
now im setting my scopes on either black bear or ducks. then turkey in spring. i think i like this hunting thing:-D

savagecanuck
10-10-2014, 08:02 PM
Good for you.Its a learning experience. At least it wasn't a Texas heart shot . looking forward too pics

Taurusguy
10-10-2014, 08:03 PM
Sweet man! Grats! .. pics?

4 point
10-10-2014, 08:05 PM
You got er done that is the main thing. Congratulations

B-rad
10-10-2014, 08:06 PM
That's awesome,,,,great job,,,,,it's a totally different hunting experience when you put the effort into walking in,,,,AND,,,,you see waaaaaaaay more animals,,,,,,can't wait for pics

GrizGuy92
10-10-2014, 08:23 PM
For the pictures you can email them to yourself and save on your computer, then photobucket.com make an account and upload the images, copy the IMG link into this thread and BAM, pictures ;)

quadrakid
10-10-2014, 08:39 PM
Well done,i felt a little adrenalin rush reading your story.

kennyj
10-10-2014, 08:45 PM
Awesome!! Great day.
kenny

Rusty
10-10-2014, 08:48 PM
Way to go. good story.

Sofa King
10-10-2014, 09:05 PM
congrats on your first.

fozzy
10-10-2014, 09:26 PM
That's awesome, congrats!! You'll always remember that one.
Fozzy

chrismcd
10-10-2014, 09:47 PM
here they are
http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/chrismcd/media/IMG_20141008_235607_zpslyuynkfw.jpg.html?o=0

http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/chrismcd/media/IMAG0496_zpsowsuv4mu.jpg.html?o=0

http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/chrismcd/media/IMAG0500_zpsbgrqep3z.jpg.html?o=0

trying to get final bts of meat aand such off this skull had it soaking since last night, start scraping again in a day or two

coach
10-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Nice buck! Congratulations.

http://i1294.photobucket.com/albums/b608/chrismcd/IMG_20141008_235607_zpslyuynkfw.jpg (http://s1294.photobucket.com/user/chrismcd/media/IMG_20141008_235607_zpslyuynkfw.jpg.html)

elkaholk
10-10-2014, 10:34 PM
Congratulations on your first buck.. here's a tip for a euro mount.
Boil the skull in water with a little bit of dish soap, for like 6 hrs. The rinse and apply peroxide to it. The more coats of peroxide the whiter the skull will get..

Pangaea
10-10-2014, 10:40 PM
Congrats on your first! Mine was last weekend and I'm still buzzed! Good for you for trusting your instincts...

andrewscag
10-10-2014, 10:54 PM
Congrats! .

vortex hunter
10-10-2014, 10:55 PM
Good Shooting Good for you .

LupieHunter
10-10-2014, 11:04 PM
Congrats! I got my first buck as well this year. Got a little spike blacktail about a month ago. I missed mine 3 times before I got him. I had a case of buck fever as they call it lol

Stone Sheep Steve
10-11-2014, 04:29 AM
Congrats!! Backpack Spot and stalk.........What a great way to get your first buck!

SSS

Brez
10-11-2014, 07:48 AM
Congratulations on a well-earned buck.

Salty
10-11-2014, 08:04 AM
Nice! That's what I'm talking about I remember you joining up earlier in the year chris and asking about the how-tos of deer hunting coming at it as new to it as can be. Look at you now dude! :mrgreen: I like your style you now how to start something new. At the beginning! lol. Warms the heart to see shit like this glad you've got the burn to go back and so some more. made my day already man :-D

chrismcd
10-11-2014, 03:50 PM
Thanks everyone. I still can't believe it myself.one of the coolest most unbelievable experiences.
I wonder if anyone could tell me how long deer stay me up in the sub alpine for. Did I get there just in time or do they stick around until the rut?

There is a few tiny bits of meat that won't come off skull. Anyone know or if I should bother getting the last final prices off

LupieHunter
10-11-2014, 05:25 PM
I cleaned as much off as I could with a knife on mine. The only stuff I couldn't get off was like a film on the skull. I've heard boiling or pressure washing can get it off so I think I'll try that.

Salty
10-11-2014, 08:28 PM
I wonder if anyone could tell me how long deer stay me up in the sub alpine for

That gets the classic answer to many a deer hunting question. It depends. However in quite a few different years I've seen tons of tracks heading downhill the morning after the first good dump of snow in the high country. So some deer in some locations in some years definitely quite like it up there even through the rut if there's does, but not when their food gets covered and they're up to their chest in snow all day if they can avoid it.