PDA

View Full Version : Nation lakes moose hunt

ratherbefishin
10-10-2014, 07:36 AM
We got back,no moose but a good hunt.We were hampered by lack of time,we only had a few days,but the scenary was spectacular,the weather was pretty good,although too warm.Fishing was excellent for trout and char,but not many grouse.Lots of hunters.Funny,one group came in,shot an immature just up the road from our camp in the first hour of hunting and went home.We had just driven by not 10 minutes before,but that's moose hunting....
There was an FN permanent camp just beside the forest service campsite,and since I had my FN adopted son along,took him over to introduce himself and ask permission to hunt on their traditional lands,not that we had to but to observe their protocol.We couldn't have been treated better,they thanked us for recognizing them,took my son out fishing,and one of the women showed him how to clean and cook the char they caught and sent some back with him to our camp.They told him he could take a moose if he wanted,but they didn't shoot cows or calves.They told me that if we did take a bull on our LEH ,to come on over and they would help us bring it out.....they left Sunday night to go back to Fort St James because they were working,but told us we were welcome anytime,and suggested we exchange contact information......actually,this has been pretty typical of the experiance I have had with FN people,they'll give you the shirt off their back if you are their friend

of course,I couldn't help thinking these guys have got it right,they take their women along with them,they help with all the work,do the cooking and cleaning and keep their men warm at night,while we go off on our own,do all the work,cook for ourselves and get a cold bed to sleep in.....guess that's 'progress' for you....

Foxtail
10-10-2014, 08:25 AM
Sounds like you had a great trip. Regardless of not getting an animal... Did you manage to get down the river? or just stick to the roads and lake?

Ranger95
10-10-2014, 08:30 AM
We got back,no moose but a good hunt.We were hampered by lack of time,we only had a few days,but the scenary was spectacular,the weather was pretty good,although too warm.Fishing was excellent for trout and char,but not many grouse.Lots of hunters.Funny,one group came in,shot an immature just up the road from our camp in the first hour of hunting and went home.We had just driven by not 10 minutes before,but that's moose hunting....
There was an FN permanent camp just beside the forest service campsite,and since I had my FN adopted son along,took him over to introduce himself and ask permission to hunt on their traditional lands,not that we had to but to observe their protocol.We couldn't have been treated better,they thanked us for recognizing them,took my son out fishing,and one of the women showed him how to clean and cook the char they caught and sent some back with him to our camp.They told him he could take a moose if he wanted,but they didn't shoot cows or calves.They told me that if we did take a bull on our LEH ,to come on over and they would help us bring it out.....they left Sunday night to go back to Fort St James because they were working,but told us we were welcome anytime,and suggested we exchange contact information......actually,this has been pretty typical of the experiance I have had with FN people,they'll give you the shirt off their back if you are their friend

of course,I couldn't help thinking these guys have got it right,they take their women along with them,they help with all the work,do the cooking and cleaning and keep their men warm at night,while we go off on our own,do all the work,cook for ourselves and get a cold bed to sleep in.....guess that's 'progress' for you....

great post - thanks for taking the time to post this on here, we have had the same experience with the First Nation folk that we bump into / know.

Many of our First Nation friends on this board - blame kudus friendship with them - as part of blame for the ban he has on him, of course the responsible people will never grow a large enough pair to admit it!

ratherbefishin
10-10-2014, 08:56 AM
No,we only stuck to the lakes and did a little calling(no response,nor did we hear any cows calling)the people camped next to us said last year was like this,nothing untill the temperature dropped below zero,then 8 bulls were taken as they were moving.Unfortionately we simply didn't have the time,sometimes you might get lucky,but it's a numbers game,you have to have boots on the ground.

sure,I could stand back and blame the FN ,some of whom are not responsible,(like plenty of white guys are,ignorance comes in all colours)but I'd rather take the risk of rebuff than not reach out.All I know is we made some new friends,my kid got to see how some of his people were living a healthy lifestyle we and were invited back.....

Foxtail
10-10-2014, 10:23 AM
We went every year for about 5 years. Stayed at the cabins one year on the lake. Tried the lake a few times but never had much luck. we always got moose on the river though. One year we filled all 3 tags in one morning hunting the "Stadiums" We put in for that area again this year but got diddly.

Grousedaddy
10-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Great write up sounds like a good trip

gutpile
10-10-2014, 12:51 PM
Why ask for permission ? it gives them the feeling of authority and makes it hard for
the rest of us !

Kevin So
10-10-2014, 02:22 PM
Hey ratherbefishing, Sounded like a good trip you had with your son. Was hunting my LEH bull moose at Nation Lakes, Tchenlo Lake area from Sept 28th to Oct 6, probably saw you somewhere along the FSRs.

Weather was way too warm(21 deg C and sunny the day we arrived), but slowly dropping day by day. Not too many fresh tracks and did not see one single animal until Oct4, which was the day I got- r-done on a nice bull. Calling did not work during the hunt as the rut had not started when I was there but it was getting colder each day. The owner of the camp we stayed at mentioned the rut is getting later each year it seems.

Lots of hunters started to show up when we were leaving the camp to go home on the 6th, hope it got better for them.

white moose
10-10-2014, 05:06 PM
How much river is there to travel? do you need jetboat? Thanks

ratherbefishin
10-10-2014, 05:13 PM
'Why ask permission?'for the very simple reason I had my adopted FN son with me and its their tradition when one band member wants to hunt on another band members traditional hunting territory to ask permission first ,it's just polite...besides,my son got to learn some skills from his own people,witnessed them living a healthy lifestyle and we were told that if we got a moose,they would pitch in and help,we made some friends and were invited back......would I have got that offer without observing their traditions?...doubtful.....

Foxtail
10-10-2014, 05:20 PM
The river gets pretty skinny above the bridge and below "Rainbow Creek"(I think thats what its called) There is a cabin up that creek somewhere. There is about 10 to 15 miles of river that is easy to travel by jetboat. Need a slimmer boat than ours to go much further. The lodge uses these big aluminum canoe type boats with outboard jets.

Cookie1965
10-10-2014, 05:48 PM
Thanks for sharing and good job raising your kid to honour his roots

Salty
10-10-2014, 06:21 PM
what Cookie said. Sounds like a great trip thanks for sharing.