PDA

View Full Version : Nine mile ridge

dogman
10-08-2014, 06:38 PM
Hunted nine mile extensively in 80's good sheep and deer. Was up a few years ago the area was devoid of game but numerous bike tracks. Have the single tracks ruined the hunting? Anyone been there lately?

rudysteelhead
10-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Went in there last year for a couple days on the mountain bikes. No sheep and only saw a couple mule deer. No elk sign at all. Neat area though.

Buckzilla
10-08-2014, 08:43 PM
There are numerous dirt bike and mtn bike trail circuits throughout all the surrounding area.
no use hunting there anymore...:)

juiceterboost
10-08-2014, 10:34 PM
I know the GO in the area. He doesnt really hunt in there anymore, sheep is now closed and everytime he is in there he runs into more wolves than anything else. As for what the original poster said, my dad and grandfather guided in there through the 80's and listening to his stories and looking at some old pictures I wish I was born 10 years earlier to see what that area once was.

markomoose
10-09-2014, 02:29 AM
Was in there a dozen years ago and saw 1 four point mulie that some other dudes just finished taking.Wasn't a lot of deer then,I .can't imagine now

greenhornn
10-09-2014, 03:04 AM
I was there two weeks ago, nothing but wolf shit, but I did see three bears, not much deer sign, lots of dirt bikers. Nice country though, we went over to big bar lake, much better over there.

budismyhorse
10-09-2014, 10:12 AM
Albertan campers are really starting to love that area........they camp and hit the hot springs.........aren't hunting so they can fly around on all the VAHCs all day long........gotta love it :(

from what I've seen in the White River Valley, its going to get far worse before it gets better.

Not sure its got sweet FA to do with the wildlife populations in that draw or not.........that band of rams was almost wiped out by avalanches a few years back.

dogman
10-09-2014, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the replies I think I ll pass

tripleseven
10-09-2014, 09:49 PM
Albertan campers are really starting to love that area........they camp and hit the hot springs.........aren't hunting so they can fly around on all the VAHCs all day long........gotta love it :(

from what I've seen in the White River Valley, its going to get far worse before it gets better.

Not sure its got sweet FA to do with the wildlife populations in that draw or not.........that band of rams was almost wiped out by avalanches a few years back.

What's a VAHC?

Bugle M In
10-09-2014, 10:14 PM
What's a VAHC?

Vehicle Access Hunting Closure?????
if so, I agree, Albertans everywhere up there.
But nine mile ridge is Yalakom country...no?????
haven't been there in years...........
How is that road??????
had some ugly spots if I remember well??

Trophyslayer
10-09-2014, 10:59 PM
What nine mile are you talking about I know of 2

huntcoop
10-10-2014, 08:43 AM
This is what it's come down to......

http://www.leelau.net/2003/Ninemile/ninemile.htm

budismyhorse
10-10-2014, 09:20 AM
not sure what 9 mile hes talking about.......I meant the one up the White river in the Kootenays.

VAHC is a road closure where only hunters are denied access........anyone else is allowed to drive up......its a real treat to have a Polaris UTV rip by you full of dudes while your making your way up the valley to hunt the hills.

oh well, first world problems as they say.

Ltbullken
10-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Burns me that you can't have vehicle access for hunting but can tear the s**t out of an area for recreation! Do I have that right? Not saying that there should be vehicle access for hunting but if you can't go in for hunting then no one should.

Bugle M In
10-10-2014, 10:42 AM
not sure what 9 mile hes talking about.......I meant the one up the White river in the Kootenays.

VAHC is a road closure where only hunters are denied access........anyone else is allowed to drive up......its a real treat to have a Polaris UTV rip by you full of dudes while your making your way up the valley to hunt the hills.

oh well, first world problems as they say.

.................x2

Argali
10-10-2014, 05:35 PM
[QUOTE=huntcoop;1551279]This is what it's come down to......

All those bikes in the alpine all summer long make me want to barf. Wish they would just stay in Stanley Park. Used to be a great place up to about 20-25 years ago.

Good2bCanadian
10-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Seems the new fad is to access the areas via Trials bikes.
A fellow by the name of Dave Norona posts multiple videos of carving up alpine bowls where this is zero sign of exsisting trails.

I support the human pedal power vs the motorized power in these areas. And I'm a dirtbiker, but we ride designated motorized trail areas only.

Still certain areas should be foot power only.

budismyhorse
10-11-2014, 07:23 AM
I actually think what norona does is pretty light on the footprint..... They actually try to stay off throttle and tap it pretty cool..

my my problem with it is if the fad catches on it will get out of control quickly..... People will roost up areas in no time trying to out do eachother. Seen it.... Check out people's Facebook pages.... Full of people ripping up the landscape.....makes norona look like a rank amateur. Once THOSE dudes catch onto trips like Norona..... We are in big trouble!!

Good2bCanadian
10-11-2014, 08:30 AM
I'd love to rip those bowls on my 450.

But I respect those areas too much to do so.

tangozulu
10-11-2014, 08:30 PM
I hunted there back in the 80s, stirup creek and the old road tobLilloette. In my mind thr deer dissapeared after they ran the high grade logging road in and made big clear cuts, got nothing to do with wolves or albertans.

wildcatter
10-12-2014, 02:54 PM
Quite a few years ago I got a heavy beamed 4 point mulie past Poison Mountain.
Thinking to make a trip up there, anybody can report on the road conditions?
And yeah, seen sheep on 9 Mile Ridge.

Bugle M In
10-13-2014, 12:49 PM
I hunted there back in the 80s, stirup creek and the old road tobLilloette. In my mind thr deer dissapeared after they ran the high grade logging road in and made big clear cuts, got nothing to do with wolves or albertans.

I think this thread is the nine mile ridge in the yalakom country side ( lilloet )
Obviously, there must be a nine mile ridge in the EK's as well, thus the Albertans and wolf.