PDA

View Full Version : Moose in august

CoqTrophys
03-14-2007, 10:26 PM
I'm thinking about going to the peace river area for moose in august this year for the first time. What sort of strategies or techniques do you guys use for clipping the tag on those summer time moose?

Gus
03-14-2007, 10:34 PM
The bulls dont move around in august like they do in the rut. Might take some ground work but when you find sign, stick to that area, because sooner or later you'll bump into him. Try and hang out near water if you can, especially if it is really dry out and focus on potential feeding areas. I have found where the moose were literally living in older cut blocks where the vegetation had grown enough to give them the cover as well as the feed. Throw an ample amount of rain in the mix and the moose wont ever have to leave these blocks.

HighCountry
03-14-2007, 11:46 PM
Depend what part of the peace river you are going some area are good in swamp some area good high up in the mountain cut blocks and also good around power line.The most important you have to know where
to go.Me and couple of my friends also going moose hunt in August if you
don't mind join us you can p.m me.

hunter1947
03-15-2007, 04:36 AM
I did not hunt moose for 20 years ,just a few years back our gang whent up to hudsun hope BC on oug the 12th and got our moose ,we took 2 of them in each of the two years. I found out that they move throug the slashes and eat lots in the slashes. I liked oug because they have not been hunted hard and they are prim eating at this time of the year ,we never had any proublums finding them ,just hunt hard and look for sign and wather. hunter 1947.

willyqbc
03-15-2007, 07:24 AM
cover as much ground as possible in the first hour and last hour as they are going to be most active then. Gas lines are a great place to look as they are often very "marshy" and have everything moose need.

Good luck!
Chris

wetcoasthunter
03-15-2007, 07:29 AM
I was also thinking of heading up that way for late aug. Whats the weather like that time of year? Is it hot? I would imagine the pesky bugs would be out in full force too?

tuchodi
03-15-2007, 07:56 AM
All information from everyone is very good. Aug can and is usually quite warm so you have a lot of blow fly's so you need to be able to cover your meat as soon as you skin it, game bags are a must. Lots of biting bugs so take lots of OFF.

Kevin21
03-15-2007, 08:10 AM
I was also thinking of heading up that way for late aug. Whats the weather like that time of year? Is it hot? I would imagine the pesky bugs would be out in full force too?

The bugs are the size of buicks:lol:

WoodOx
03-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Last year was REAL hot. Hunted the area for about 5 days (Both the pine area and hudsons hope)

Didnt see one elk in the pine river valley, did get into some moose at the back end. This was the first week of september, and it was ridiculously hot. 32+ almost every day.

Hudsons hope we finally found some elk. TOok an immy ont he last day of our hunt, but he was pure luck.

Going in all open season should prove much much easier than that stupid sept. req's season. Really hard to tell if a bull has 10 points when glassing from 2km away. IMO find a spot you like with water/signand hunt that hard.

GL

CoqTrophys
03-15-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the advice boys. how do you guys store your meat in such heat or is it a matter of getting out of there asap?

Tinney
03-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Best option is get out ASAP, or if you feel lucky, reserve cooler space with a butcher :lol:

yellowlab
03-15-2007, 04:46 PM
take a deepfreeze and a gen set.8)

sawmill
03-15-2007, 05:31 PM
I have a hunt for you up there,just gonna post this cause the last one didn`t take.A test.

hunter1947
03-15-2007, 05:33 PM
take a deepfreeze and a gen set.8) That's what we did in oug ,we butchard up the moose ourselves ,we learned this lesson from the year before ,not again ,all coolers were full. :frown: hunter 1947.

HighCountry
03-15-2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the advice boys. how do you guys store your meat in such heat or is it a matter of getting out of there asap? Camp some where near river find youself a nice and cold spot.
Built youself a shed 8x8 or 10x8 with 1/2" stryo form sheet cut a couple
6to8" holes with fly screen so air can flaoting through the shed and a small
Gen with 15to20" fan that's the best and cheaper way to store you meat
in such heat. work well for me.

Shop Lord
03-16-2007, 08:07 AM
If you don't know the area go up 2 days before the season opens. The first 3 days of the early, any bull season are the best. The moose get shot up pretty quick. I think your odds of getting one during the second week go way down.

NEEHAMA
03-16-2007, 09:41 AM
make sure you take one close to the road. if your miles back in the bush your going to loose the meat in the heat.

Rock Doctor
03-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Not sure where you plan to go, but if it's in the FN area, you will not find a Butcher that will "reserve" cooler space. It's first come first served. There are only a couple Butchers in the area, and they are pretty busy. There are several guys that have there own coolers (myself included), that will store your meet for some small compensation. Look on the bulletin boards at the Sport Stores, Grocery Stores, and Gas Stations. Some guys will advetise cooler space (I don't).
If you can't get to town, you can keep your meat cool in a Creek. Wrap your Quarters in Game Bags, then put them into some heavy plastic bags, and sink them in a creek. This does work well, you just don't want the plastic to touch the meat.
Don't forget your BUG SPRAYhttp://www.menoutdoors.com/forums/images/smilies/animated/36_2_13.gif

mark
03-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Camp some where near river find youself a nice and cold spot.
Built youself a shed 8x8 or 10x8 with 1/2" stryo form sheet cut a couple
6to8" holes with fly screen so air can flaoting through the shed and a small
Gen with 15to20" fan that's the best and cheaper way to store you meat
in such heat. work well for me.

I cant see how that would work if your blowing 30 degree air in there. It got that hot in chetwynd last year in sept. even! :cry:

quadrakid
03-16-2007, 08:24 PM
to each his own but hey,aug is beaches ,the smell of coppertone and midnight swims,moose hunt is waking up to ice on top of water jug and the smell of your leather boots burning because your feet are too close to the fire, i,ll take my moose in the fall and use my summer vacation in aug.please take this with a grain of salt,i,m NOT saying there,s anything wrong with aug moose hunt, just not for me.

sparkymacker
03-16-2007, 10:09 PM
I cant see how that would work if your blowing 30 degree air in there. It got that hot in chetwynd last year in sept. even! :cry:

We were up in Hudson Hope the beginning of September and it was probably 80 degrees, but it was snowing by the middle of September. I think it was unusually hot last year. We are going up to Pink Mountain in August for Moose, hopefully it is cooler this year.

hunter1947
03-17-2007, 04:06 AM
When we were there two years ago the person in the hardware store said it was the worst year that he could ever remember for rain that summer. We also had one inch of snow in the hudson hope area on oug 28 that year. it's weer ed how one year can be so shitty and the next so nice. hunter 1947.

sawmill
03-17-2007, 04:45 AM
O.K.,hope this works.I lived in D.C. for 5 years and we used to float the Peace from Ft.St.John to the clayhurst ferry(bridge now)Float ,mind you,no moters.We`d leave FSJ at 5 in the afternoon and camp on an island halfway down and hunt the rest the next morning,that way you get an evening and a morning hunt.You would not believe how much game you see and how few people are on the river.Sometimes we would hear some dork in a jet boat coming for 15 minutes before he came around the bend,everthing just fades into the bush long before that.Big fat wide calm peice of water,we lashed 2 16 ft. canoes side by side and drifted and fished and we NEVER got skunked.95 mile drift and when you get a moose you can get him to the shop that day if you feel like paddling.Best hunt you could ever have,and cheap.:lol:

30-06
03-17-2007, 07:01 AM
ill be heading up for moose and elk in the moberly lake area sometime in oct,i think both seasons start on the 16th that were're going for.

CoqTrophys
03-17-2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks for you very useful info quadrakid. for those of you who had something useful to say thank you very much and i will consider these techniques before i go.

4pointer
03-17-2007, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by mark

In the area that I hunt, it is very cold and there is always frost. It snowed on us in 2002 and 03. On good years, the butchers are extremely backed up. I wouldnt count too much on them. For the weather, our group brings up two deep freezes and a small 1000W generator. We give each freezer an initial deep freeze and then we run one of the freezers for 4 hrs each at a time before switching, just enough for it to keep the ice.

HighCountry
03-19-2007, 11:21 PM

In the area that I hunt,it is cold at night.Our camp is right by the river
even during the day we still keep our jacket on.I hunt there for the last
5 years never see temperature got up to 25 degree.

hunter1947
03-20-2007, 04:21 AM
When we get game in oug we skin them right away then hang them under a bridge ,it is very cool under there and a dry crust forms on the meat over night ,coolers the meat down fast. hunter 1947.

luckynuts
03-20-2007, 11:25 AM
In the area that I hunt,it is cold at night.Our camp is right by the river
even during the day we still keep our jacket on.I hunt there for the last
5 years never see temperature got up to 25 degree.

I have hunted up here since 92 and now live here, last 3 years. Let me tell you it was over 25' last year and 2 years ago. Sept will usually bring snow 2nd-3rd week and then warm up into the 20's straight through the 2nd week of October. The good thing about HH is that you are closer to the mountains and can get frosty mornings due to the dew point temps. Used to always come up for the aug meat hunt, but to many guys, too many bugs, and the heat turned me off. I prefer the cold but thats MHO. Like many said bring up a homemade cooler or deep freeze that way you are guaranteed to keep your meat. Aug moose is the best meat you can get bar none.

Jetboat
03-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Aug moose is the best meat you can get bar none

Damn straight it is!

This is the one Luckynuts & I nailed opening morning of the '04 season. We got to the butcher shop and had to wait half an hour until they opened. By the time the doors were open, another fellow was there with his bull and within two days, the cooler was full. Bringing your own cooler is a very smart idea...

Bull down at 5:30am...(fat bugger, eh?)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/338winmag/2004Moose.jpg

Gutted and loaded by 6:15am...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/338winmag/Aug152004.jpg

Meat was in the cooler by 8:00am and we were home by 10:00am...Great way to start the season :biggrin:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/338winmag/WadeKurt.jpg

CoqTrophys
03-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Nice bull jetboat. What area do you guys hunt moose ie.chetwynd, fort st john, tumbler ridge. nothing specific.

30-06
03-20-2007, 05:28 PM
nice lookin moose you got there.nice and thick bases

hunter1947
03-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Thats the time to get them ,good for you guys jetboat http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif hunter 1947.

browningboy
03-21-2007, 09:24 PM
If one was insistant on hunting the august moose, another option is to bring up a genset and a window shaker a/c machine, you can make a large teepee/ gamepole thats enclosed with a tarp, put a 25000 btu a/c shaker in there and it will pass you by until a space is available at the butcher or why. The little a/c units are cheap as borsch now and will work, its prehistoric, but will work!8-)