PDA

View Full Version : Ground Blind Setup Help

adriaticum
10-07-2014, 04:34 PM
Ok so I think a change of tactic is in order.
I think I know where some deer may be hanging but they ain't coming out in the daylight.
So rather than combing the bush and scaring them away I think I want to setup a blind and bring enough beer to wait them out.
What should I be looking for when setting up the blind in terms of cover?
Should I plop it right in the middle of the open field?
Or in amongst the trees.
I saw coacheese setup a blind and it looked like he put some branches around to cover it.
How do you guys do it?
I have the dog house blind.

http://kwykpix.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/AM-2103.jpg

GROOTSKY
10-07-2014, 06:24 PM
Ground blinds have worked well for me. I set up a trail cam weeks in advance to pattern their movement as best I can & be ready to spend lots of time in the blind. I've spent every second or third afternoon in the same blind for up to a couple of weeks and usually end up successful by seasons end.

adriaticum
10-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Thanks Grootsky, do you try to camouflage them or is the camo pattern enough?
I hunted with a buddy last year a couple of times from the blind and sometimes it was quite a chore to locate the blind from a far.

Darksith
10-07-2014, 08:07 PM
I haven't done it, but seen them do it lots on all sorts of hunting shows. Almost always they put them close to trees or other raised cover, and cover the blind in branches and what not to break up the pattern of the edge of the blind. Make it look like a brush pile I think is what you should be doing. That being said, I hope no one steals your blind...I hate that shit.

adriaticum
10-07-2014, 08:21 PM
I haven't done it, but seen them do it lots on all sorts of hunting shows. Almost always they put them close to trees or other raised cover, and cover the blind in branches and what not to break up the pattern of the edge of the blind. Make it look like a brush pile I think is what you should be doing. That being said, I hope no one steals your blind...I hate that shit.

Yeah there is only one way in and I'm ID-ing everyone ;)

Mikey Rafiki
10-07-2014, 08:30 PM
I try to keep mine under a decent sized tree. Keeps it in the shadows and helps prevent the noise of rainfall hitting the roof and noise from the wind. I also use some bigger branches around the outside to break up the hard outline of the blind. Clear your shooting lanes right off the bat. I have a couple bone collector blinds and I usually have a couple shooting lanes cleared on the side or back in addition to the main one in the front. Don't forget to nail down a couple corners. Not just for the wind but last year I found my blind on its side 50 yards from where it was sent up chewed up a bit by what I'm assuming was coyotes.

Did a couple trips blind hunting in Saskatchewan and also set up one or two for late whitetail season locally if I still have a tag.

Pioneerman
10-07-2014, 08:44 PM
I have a dog house blind and I have a chair blind, the chair is built in open the chair up and pull blind over your head and you are done. I have not used either but thinkj I will this year cause bad knees stopping me from hiking

GROOTSKY
10-08-2014, 12:26 PM
I cover it a bit but not to much, I also leave it in the same spot sometimes the whole season. I've used the doghouse blind for a season but found it to cramped for long periods of sitting. Now with a bigger blind I can move around abit especially with the window mesh zipped up. Its amazing what a deer can see even with a window only slightly zipped down.

adriaticum
10-08-2014, 12:51 PM
Thanks lads, I shall apply these ideas the best I can.

Cyrus
10-08-2014, 02:30 PM
my experience is that they deer don't care they are there, just like other non moving man made items. Once they see it a few times and don't get shot at from it...they really don't care. Have had does within 5 feet while I was in mine. Get a tripod and a ground blind lawn chair and you will be able to set up for some comfortable shots. Sure is nice to get the drop on them as opposed to the other way around. Getting some scent spray is also a good idea.

adriaticum
10-08-2014, 02:32 PM
my experience is that they deer don't care they are there, just like other non moving man made items. Once they see it a few times and don't get shot at from it...they really don't care. Have had does within 5 feet while I was in mine. Get a tripod and a ground blind lawn chair and you will be able to set up for some comfortable shots. Sure is nice to get the drop on them as opposed to the other way around. Getting some scent spray is also a good idea.

That's a good thought. I was planning on setting up the blind in the afternoon and hunting from in in the morning. Basically I will leave it there for 3 days.

Cyrus
10-08-2014, 02:37 PM
I have had better luck in the afternoons but every spot is different. They are a nice change from walking for miles on end. When you hear the squirrels chirping get ready!

Ry151
10-08-2014, 09:58 PM
In mine i have noticed that if you wear a black mask ( my blind has black walls inside) you can move around inside it alot more with out being notice as when you dont or wearing camo

Ambush
10-08-2014, 10:08 PM
If you are going to leave it out for sometime and you're in bear country, just leave the door open. That way the bass-tird won't have to rip a big hole in it when he smells the pepperoni and beer farts inside. I had one blind thrashed by a bear last year.

Best to brush it in a bit and let it sit for a few days. Older bucks and mature does seem to take more notice of things out of place in their regular domain. Not as important for cruising bucks during the rut. Bring reading material and a very comfortable chair. Blind hunting, same as tree stand hunting, is all about patience and putting time in where you know there are animals.

adriaticum
10-09-2014, 09:00 AM
In mine i have noticed that if you wear a black mask ( my blind has black walls inside) you can move around inside it alot more with out being notice as when you dont or wearing camo

This blind has a insect mesh that helps. I saw one Eichler video where he explains the importance of having everything closed. My blind has a window on each side.

adriaticum
10-09-2014, 09:05 AM
If you are going to leave it out for sometime and you're in bear country, just leave the door open. That way the bass-tird won't have to rip a big hole in it when he smells the pepperoni and beer farts inside. I had one blind thrashed by a bear last year.

Best to brush it in a bit and let it sit for a few days. Older bucks and mature does seem to take more notice of things out of place in their regular domain. Not as important for cruising bucks during the rut. Bring reading material and a very comfortable chair. Blind hunting, same as tree stand hunting, is all about patience and putting time in where you know there are animals.

Good point, yes there is a boar in the area and a sow with a cub. I didn't see them last time, but the sow must still be alive.

GROOTSKY
10-09-2014, 11:01 AM
If you open more than one window you will want the mesh up so that you dont hi-lite your movement

martyonthewater
10-11-2014, 08:36 AM
As many have already stated, brushing it in a bit is worth the time. I like mine set up against background cover. I also liberally spray it down with scent killer, mostly on the inside and around the bottom where the most airflow is. I spray the hell out of the bug screens too. anywhere the air is moving thru your scent is going with it. I keep it zipped up pretty tight most of the time, the screened in windows offer pretty good field of view. When I set up I leave a chair in it so im not packing one around. I also keep a book in my pack as well as a personal hunting journal to record stuff in. Its amazing how much info you can come up with to write down when your just sitting there waiting for hours on end.