PDA

View Full Version : Headed to 70 mile (3-31) for the long weekend

Shea_G
10-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Im heading up to a friends cabin from friday to monday. Any tips on hunting that area, im still very new and inexperienced so any location specific advice would be appreciated. I have a mule and black bear tag, is it worth getting a white tail tag or big horn sheep? Or are they pretty sparse in the region? Thanks in advance for any info. Any ducks or geese in the area? Just wondering if i should bring my water fowl stuff?

russm
10-07-2014, 11:40 AM
I wouldn't bother with a white tail tag, and you'll see more if you get off the road and do some hiking, if you're road hunting you'll see more vehicles than anything else...

Shea_G
10-07-2014, 12:51 PM
The vast majority will be by quad with some hiking in there.

pmj
10-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Yes take a white tail tag with you. Last week I saw a couple white tailed does in a cut block just off the Meadow Lake rd, couple of kms past Beaverdam Lake. White tail doe opens on the 10th I believe.
The local cabin owner said there are lots of black bear around, we saw one in the 4 days there.
Walk into the back end of quiet cut blocks and glass from behind cover as you go (don't stand in the middle of the road/quad trail). I wouldn't bother with the really huge ones. If you drive in you will see the raised white tails and rear ends of the muleys as they already heard you coming.
We also ran across a heard of what appeared to be wild horses. 5 plus one very aggressive stallion who stood snorting in front. No shoes, no sign of a brand. They were not too far from Meadow Lake.
Found some tracks that appeared to be from a single wolf. Not sure but they were large 3" wide, 4" long single track far away from any home steads.
There appears to be lots of water fowell in the area. I would suggest to concentrate your efforts to one group, either the flying kind or the 4 footed ones. You may find that you do not have time to locate both in the short time you are there.

shed-hunter1
10-08-2014, 12:18 AM
Yes take a white tail tag with you. Last week I saw a couple white tailed does in a cut block just off the Meadow Lake rd, couple of kms past Beaverdam Lake. White tail doe opens on the 10th I believe.
The local cabin owner said there are lots of black bear around, we saw one in the 4 days there.
Walk into the back end of quiet cut blocks and glass from behind cover as you go (don't stand in the middle of the road/quad trail). I wouldn't bother with the really huge ones. If you drive in you will see the raised white tails and rear ends of the muleys as they already heard you coming.
We also ran across a heard of what appeared to be wild horses. 5 plus one very aggressive stallion who stood snorting in front. No shoes, no sign of a brand. They were not too far from Meadow Lake.
Found some tracks that appeared to be from a single wolf. Not sure but they were large 3" wide, 4" long single track far away from any home steads.
There appears to be lots of water fowell in the area. I would suggest to concentrate your efforts on group, either the flying kind or the 4 footed ones. You may find that you do not have time to locate both in the short time you are there.

theres been wild horses out there for years

Shea_G
10-08-2014, 07:47 AM
There appears to be lots of water fowell in the area. I would suggest to concentrate your efforts on group, either the flying kind or the 4 footed ones. You may find that you do not have time to locate both in the short time you are there.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

BigfishCanada
10-08-2014, 08:25 AM
If you dont take a whitetail tag youll end up seeing a beauty. There is a chance you will see one so take a gamble. The only time I have seen an immature moose is the time I didnt have a tag lol. Also lots of bears this year in the overall area

Cyrus
10-08-2014, 02:32 PM
bring your sun tan lotion...its stupidly warm up here right now...ruining my hunt this week. Looks like another late November hunt again....

gutpile
10-08-2014, 06:43 PM
Anybody still thinks the weather is not changig
im planing on going up to 5-01 on the 13th , i hope it cools down soon !

Big Hoss
10-08-2014, 09:34 PM
I'm in 5-01 now and to say the least it's hot. Very little game on the move very disheartening. Supposed to get rain on the weekend but temps aren't supposed to drop much

gutpile
10-08-2014, 09:54 PM
not looking good !

Big Hoss
10-08-2014, 10:03 PM
Lots of wolves howling around here to doesn't help much either GP. Even had them around me late morning today

andrewscag
10-09-2014, 08:34 AM
Another vote for a wt tag. My hunting buddy lives in 100 mile house and laid out logging blocks near 70 mile. They're there. Do you really want the heartbreak of watching on walk because you didn't want to spend a couple of $?