PDA

View Full Version : My First 4-Point, Region 8-9

Redneck Rocket
10-06-2014, 11:36 PM
Well, my second hunting season has been in full swing for a while. I'm lucky enough to live in region 8-9 where there's some great areas 15 minutes from home. I work 2 jobs, one of which is casual (I turn up when I wish) and my main job which is home-based. I work a lot, probably 12 hours a day on average but it does give me the flexibility to plan my days around hunting & fishing. Since early September I've been out many times, mostly hiking, sitting, calling & stalking and a little bit of road hunting. I do some business in Europe so I often get up before 4 AM, do a couple hours work and head out for first light. Come home for a late breakfast mid-morning. Or sometimes just pop out for the last hour or so of daylight.

So I've been working hard at work and hunting but not come across anything shoot-able until last weekend. I set up a trail cam a good friend loaned me in an area I knew was holding 12-15 Muley does & Fawns on any given day. I put down some apples I picked in a good area with a couple of intersecting game trails, not to entice them or shoot over, more so I could get an idea of what was in the area.

After the first 48 hours soak, there were 3600 pics - mostly mule does and 2 pairs of twin fawns, and a smallish black bear. A nice looking 2x2 as well:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd312/studickie15/PICT0289_zps8183318d.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd312/studickie15/PICT0304_zps87f4ebe3.jpg

Friday Night, I went up to the spot, and there were 2 bucks rutting in the field out back, with a bunch of does around. I wasn't sure in the half-light, but one of them looked decent. I decided to come and check the game camera again the next night.

Next day, late afternoon, I swapped the cards out and decided I would hang around for a while and observe the animals, see what they were doing and at what sort of time of day. My wife's cousin was due to come into town in about a week, and was quite keen to come out hunting with me so I was mainly scouting for the following week. Had my rifle with me just in case.

I set up on a smaller ridge, looking across a little valley and up the hill where I could see the deer coming down to feed as the light faded for the evening. It was really interesting watching them. One of the does with twin fawns was chasing all the other deer off away from the good grazing and from my apple pile, and careful glassing revealed many more deer than first appeared to the naked eye. A couple just resting perched up on the rocks. The wind was in my favour, and I managed to stay still enough that none of them detected my presence, some of them grazing to within 50 feet away.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd312/studickie15/photo1_zpsdf0e10eb.jpg

About 1.5 hours in, I had seen a bunch of does, fawns, a 2 x 2 buck which was basically a 1x1 with 2 tiny little forks, and a herd of 20 or so Bighorn Sheep. I was just thinking I would hang around another 15 minutes or so, and then head home and sort supper, when I heard the unmistakeable sound of locking antlers. For about 5 minutes there was some on and off action, all out of sight, but then into view in front of my cam area (I was observing from 200+ yards away) came 2 bucks, the smaller chased off in short order by the larger of the 2. I got the binoculars up, and confirmed he was a 4x4. First one I've ever seen. Heart rate bumped a few notches.

I started thinking about whether I should wait until next week, when my wife's cousin would be around and see if the 4x4 was still around, so I could share the experience with him. Went back and forth a few times in my mind and then my phone buzzed. My buddy had just sent me a photo of a 6x6 beauty elk he dropped near Princeton. I sent him this picture back with the caption "There's a 4x4 out there, trying to decide whether to wait a few days or take him now."

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd312/studickie15/photo2_zpsca7818e9.jpg

Redneck Rocket
10-06-2014, 11:37 PM
The reply came back in seconds - "Take Him." I looked up and saw that he had quickly moved from the bottom of the hill into the little valley, and was moving quickly to catch up to the group of does that had now passed to my left into a bigger field behind me. For a moment I was worried, he wasn't stopping and I'm not an experienced shooter. I wanted some time to get settled for a clean shot. I turned, flicked the safety off and started tracking him in the scope. He slowed just for a moment and stood still, perfectly broadside, perhaps 150 yards away and 50 feet below me. My finger moved inside the guard, I steadied myself and touched one off, almost surprising myself with the shot. I saw him get hit, he lurched forward and went down into the grass out of view. I chambered another round, collected my shell casing and walked down to where he lay. He was nearly gone when I arrived, but I put one more shot in to end it. He shot up, charged off a couple of strides and collapsed. Lights out.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd312/studickie15/photo4_zpsc9bef465.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd312/studickie15/photo3_zps2ab4621b.jpg

My friend came and met me, snapped a quick photo and I got it dressed and into the truck with his help.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd312/studickie15/photo5_zpsedcf2ebf.jpg

A couple of pics I got of him on the trail cam - as he was chasing off the little spiker, and checking out my apples before running off after the does. I skinned him the following day, and my friend Mathew Lewis from Remax in Oliver (look him up, Matt is a super guy, a die-hard hunter and knows every piece of property in the South Okanagan like the back of his hand) was kind enough to hang it in his walk-in for me when I discovered all the butchers were closed until Tuesday or full to the gills with other work.

Was really pleased with this buck. Super-healthy looking guy, with a flawless coat, really nicely formed rack and a nice body. Nice big hind quarters you can see in one of the cam pics, but not too old and knarly so should eat really nicely.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd312/studickie15/PICT0169_zps1da81bf4.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd312/studickie15/PICT0175_zps69749011.jpg

Redneck Rocket
10-06-2014, 11:42 PM
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd312/studickie15/PICT0181_zpsaf40b492.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd312/studickie15/PICT0184_zps64a174de.jpg

Very thankful for all the help from good friends to harvest his beautiful animal. I am aware that it is a choice to eat meat, and I am very grateful for the opportunity to take such a wonderful, healthy free-range animal to share with my family and friends. We are very lucky to live where we do and enjoy these opportunities, and to eat what I have come to call 'happy' meat.

I was also pleased for such a clean, quick kill. My first shot hit the LH lung, the bottom of the heart and nicked the RH lung. As much as I am committed to eating happy meat, I hope for a fast death for each animal I take, in the hope that a few seconds of pain is better than a lifelong suffering as a farmed animal.

Mr. Dean
10-07-2014, 12:05 AM
FLIPPIN" CONGRATS, MAN!!!
Aewsome storry telling too...

Mikey Rafiki
10-07-2014, 12:50 AM
Well done! Great buck, he will definitely be tasty this time of year.

Redneck Rocket
10-07-2014, 12:52 AM
Thanks Mr Dean! Happy to have had the opportunity.

My 270 did me proud! 130 grain Core-Lokt cheapo bullets that my rifle seems to love.

Redneck Rocket
10-07-2014, 12:54 AM
Well done! Great buck, he will definitely be tasty this time of year.

His stomach was full of apples and grape pressings so I have a feeling he will be as tasty as last year's 2x3. "Pinot Noir Finished" Okanagan Venison. Has a nice ring to it!

markomoose
10-07-2014, 02:12 AM
Good job there R.R.Real healthy looking buck.Nice pics -good story. Cheers Mark

Stone Sheep Steve
10-07-2014, 03:49 AM
Well done! Nice complete story! You're a good friend for even contemplating waiting for a week to shoot that buck but you made the right decision to not pass up the opportunity present to you.

Those se deer finished on Pinot noir are pretty tasty😉

SSS

coach
10-07-2014, 05:32 AM
Very well done. Super buck and great story and pictures. Congratulations!

buckguy
10-07-2014, 05:55 AM
Congrats on a fantastic deer. Great looking animal. Very eloquent story. Look forward to hearing more from you. enjoy the fruits of your labor.

HarryToolips
10-07-2014, 06:23 AM
Way to go nice buck!

ElliotMoose
10-07-2014, 06:55 AM
Healthy looking animal. Thanks for taking us along for the ride! Looks like you have a good spot there. I wouldn't doubt for a second that you will have some even bigger bucks in there come november

250 sav
10-07-2014, 07:01 AM
thanks for posting and congratlations

Quantafer
10-07-2014, 07:47 AM
The apple does fall far from the tree :-D Nice one!

Fisher-Dude
10-07-2014, 08:16 AM
Nice buck! And a great story, with a true appreciation of why we hunt.

fuzzybiscuit
10-07-2014, 08:25 AM
Great thread RR! Congrats on a nice buck.

Spy
10-07-2014, 08:49 AM
Nice buck! And a great story, with a true appreciation of why we hunt.
X 2 thanks for sharing :-)

Redneck Rocket
10-07-2014, 09:04 AM
Healthy looking animal. Thanks for taking us along for the ride! Looks like you have a good spot there. I wouldn't doubt for a second that you will have some even bigger bucks in there come november

Interesting that you say that - my friend swears up and down that he saw a 6x6 in the same area last year around this time. There are so many does there, and I know there are 4 smaller bucks around - a spiker, a couple of 2x2's and a 3x3. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a big boy turn up with that many does and push the little guys out.

Redneck Rocket
10-07-2014, 09:10 AM
Thanks for all the kind words guys :)

uraarchr
10-07-2014, 10:05 AM
Great story and pics

brig
10-07-2014, 10:07 AM
That's awesome! Great write up! Always enjoy reading stories like these! No better feeling than a great hunt that ends with a fantastic animal!

Pangaea
10-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Great story! I'm pretty sure any text I could have sent in your situation would have come out a garbled mess! Congrats on a beauty buck!

Fireball129
10-07-2014, 03:39 PM
congrats on a nice looking buck, good story too. You had to take it ,instead of waiting for next week.

kennyj
10-07-2014, 07:04 PM
Congratulations! Thats a beautiful buck.
kenny

savagecanuck
10-07-2014, 07:34 PM
Great stories I love the pics especially the one of the 4 point eating an apple. Thanks for sharing

markt308
10-07-2014, 07:39 PM
Excellent thread and huge congrats on an awesome buck. way to go and thanks for sharing so many pics! makes it more fun to read through! cheers

skuntor
10-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Some great pics. Great buck and very cool looking country to hunt. Always wondered what it would be like hunting areas like that.

10-07-2014, 09:57 PM
How cool is that ! Congrats great pics too.Sweet tasting Buckwheat !CT

one-shot-wonder
10-07-2014, 10:20 PM
Great read....thanks for taking the time to share your story! congrats on some great eats!

vanillagator
10-07-2014, 11:28 PM
Great attitude!!

44inchStone
10-08-2014, 07:40 AM
You're hooked now. Beauty buck. You know the old saying.......When Opportunity knocks! Takem. There have been plenty of times where I would have loved to have had my hunting partner enjoy the experience of a big rram, elk, deer but sometimes it just don't work out. Takem when ya gottem!!

BigfishCanada
10-08-2014, 07:47 AM
You know what, pictures make a story a hundred times better so your story is awesome, CONGRATS!!! I love it, free range organic pure mule venison