PDA

View Full Version : Girlfriend's first deer, 36 hours into having a hunting license!

unclevarda
10-06-2014, 09:28 PM
Early on in dating, before becoming exclusive, I warned her that dating me meant me disappearing for most of the fall hunting. Little did I know she would not only enjoy shooting a gun, but later join me in the hunt!

I took her out to a great little spot I've been working on for the two years I've personally hunted, and on the second morning she shot this tasty guy. I spotted the deer's antlers and ears poking out from over a hill and passed her the gun. He slowly edged over looking right at us dead on. First chance at a shot she missed! The deer stared at us unflinching, and then actually took another step closer to us! She reloaded and placed a perfect shot that ended up going dead center right through the heart. We waited a good 20 minutes, then peaked over the hill. I was super excited to see the deer cold dead not 10 yards from the shot - I would have hated for her to have to go on a long, difficult tracking mission - or worse lose it through poor shot placement. We gutted it, which she had absolutely no problems with, and started dragging down a series of hills. On one of them I stopped and decided to peak my head over the ridge before trudging over it. Right there, not 30 yards away, was another fork! I thought what the hell, lets take it and make it a pair. One shot to the heart and it was also down. Then I dragged both of them, one first for 100 yards, walk back, drag the other, back to the van. Great introduction for her, and she's stoked to go again this weekend for whitetails!!

Also, while I'm at it, being a new hunter myself I've started to get a bit of a feel for the average hunter I meet in the bush, and my god they are lazy! There were a bunch of them camped out 5 minutes off the road, a bunch more tooling around on atv's, and all of them, days into the hunt, hadn't shot a thing. All it took was a 30 minute walk up and down a couple of ravines and we were alone and surrounded by at least 5 bucks and a dozen does chased into the hills from these lazy-ass road hunters. I guess I should thank them!

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag199/unclevarda/adeer_zps16035204.jpg (http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/unclevarda/media/adeer_zps16035204.jpg.html)

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag199/unclevarda/wdeer_zps06550143.jpg (http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/unclevarda/media/wdeer_zps06550143.jpg.html)

(Hers is nicer than mine)

adriaticum
10-06-2014, 09:32 PM
Good for you, congrats!

10-06-2014, 09:32 PM
Congrats to you both some fine eating critters there.

Just terrific getting new hunters into our great past time and sport.

Ct

unclevarda
10-06-2014, 09:37 PM
You know, last year my first deer was a spiker muley, and I swear, compared to my serious hunting friend's deer (4 points only) it was way better. I feel the pull of holding out for a nice wall mount, but I also feel the pull of tender meat! Such a dilemma. (Well, not that I am passing up on 4 points all the time...)

Spy
10-06-2014, 09:48 PM
Good job thats great awesome pics and story thanks for sharing :-)

Ovis17
10-06-2014, 10:02 PM
Congrats!!

hoochie
10-06-2014, 10:03 PM
you know.. about the lazy hunter thing?
I saw a couple 3 dudes in a truck. they asked had I seen any moose. I said no. I had actually seen 4 of them. Another guy on a quad said he hadn't seen any deer.. not even a grouse. I had seen many grouse, 4 good mulie bucks, a white tail buck that I harvested and maybe 30 does? and 4 bear. Anyway, I was on foot and people thought I was crazy for walking.
you are doing the right thing, and its paid off!

ElliotMoose
10-07-2014, 07:03 AM
Always nice walking and having the element of surprise on the animal, rather than driving in a truck or quad, having it spot you and trying to make a play or a long shot before it takes off. Good work on getting the mrs out

squamishhunter
10-07-2014, 07:35 AM
Road hunters are funny. (Medically restricted excluded)

Last year there was a quad, one guy driving, and one guy standing on the back gear rack looking as they drove through the slash. I'd've paid good money to see them go through a cross ditch

coyotejoe
10-07-2014, 07:42 AM
Great job
u r blessed to have a woman who can enjoy the thrill of a hint with you.