PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly in MU8-8, Headwaters Lake area

sapper
10-06-2014, 08:55 PM
I was hunting around Headwaters Lake on Saturday and was chatting with another hunter who said a buddy in his camp had seen a grizzly and grizzly cub along with a tag along black bear cub. I've never heard of a grizzly adopting a black bear. I've also not hunted for deer when grizzlies are around so the rest of the day I was especially aware.
I did see a bobcat, my first, two moose just as the sun had set, and had the longest stare down with the largest doe I've ever seen. I was sure if I stared long enough some bone would appear between the ears, but alas it was not to be.

Fisher-Dude
10-06-2014, 10:01 PM
Hmm, that's strange. Usually a black bear cub is a furry snack for a grizzly. Do you think the other guy may have seen a colour phase black bear and mistook it for a grizzly?

HarryToolips
10-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Was the profile of the face from the side straight from forehead to tip of nose or dish - shaped?? Was there a hump?

Sofa King
10-06-2014, 10:47 PM
pics or it didn't happen.
kiddin.

I'd have to lean toward him seeing a cinnamon-phase blackie and cub with a dark cub also.
seems odd to hear a grizz adopting a "blackie", but hey, it's nature, who knows what can happen.

Singleshotneeded
10-07-2014, 01:20 AM
I'm leaning towards an oddly coloured black bear, but grizzlies have been spotted to the east of Okanagan Lake.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-07-2014, 03:52 AM
The story seems odd but I did see a grizz a dozen years ago right at the turn off to cresent lake not far away.

SSS

Ltbullken
10-07-2014, 09:54 AM
Either a mioxed colour phase black bear sow and cubs or an odd colour phase griz cub ... or a snack on legs for later.

Sofa King
10-07-2014, 09:57 AM
where I'm hunting right now, seeing plenty of black bears.
and it's almost 50/50 cinnamon to black ratio.
I know that there are grizz around in that area, but more sensible is that he mistook the black for a grizz.
sure woulda helped had he taken a picture.

doubled
10-07-2014, 10:12 AM
There is definitely a colour phase that looks similar to a grizz out there. One of our guys saw one before the weekend and thought it was a grizz until he looked at his camera better.

sapper
10-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Agreed. It seemed strange to me but I wasn't about to take any chances. I was a little more attentive in the bush after that point.

Phreddy
10-07-2014, 10:24 PM
Saw a griz up the Willis Commander a few years ago when I was bringing a load of firewood out. Couldn't believe my eyes and at first sight thought it was probably a huge brown phase blackie until the sun hit the hide and it was a silvertip. Checked with the C.O. and he told me that it's not all that uncommon. He said it was probably moving out of the Manning Park area looking for a new territory.