PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail

skuntor
10-06-2014, 08:28 PM
Had to post a pic of buddies whitey. It was his first time hunting and my second season. He had some good property access where they often see bucks walk though.

We drove up after work hoping to blast away if there were as many bucks as we had been hearing about. We set up at the property first light saturday and saw many doe but no bucks. After a few hours we headed out to explore some backroads. Ended up shooting a few grouse and had eyes on a bear that quickly gave us the slip.

We headed back to the property around 5:30 and as we pull in we see the usual amount of doe but no bucks. Then a bigger looking deer catches my eye and I put the binoculars back to it and see a boney head. I quickly tell my buddy its a buck and to get out and pop a round in the tube. He has a good rest on a fence rail and double checks for antlers though the scope then squeezes one of out of my second hand 300 savage. I'm looking through the binos and I can see the buck flinch and then start to walk slowly toward the trees. I can see red near his vitals.

I was sure he was headed for the bush and tell my buddy to remember exactly where he went in the bush. Bucky ends up doing a 180 and walking back into the field looking a little woozy and then falls over into a creek about 10 feet from where he was shot. We high five and I think I'm more excited than buddy was! We give him a couple minutes to make sure he's dead and then drive right up to him.

After the obligatory poke in eye with the rifle barrel my buddy cuts his first tag ever and then we haul the buck out and take some hero shots before we get to work. He hit lungs and a little stomach at close to 200 yds. Not too messy when we were dressing him. Not bad for having shot one practice round from the gun. My buddy has never field dressed and I have only done one little blacktail. It ends up going fine but I was surprised at all the fat in this little guy. Maybe from all the grain he's probably been eating?

We tried first light again Sunday and then some more back roads before going back to the property to see if I could get one. Gave up after the light was gone and headed for the 4 hour drive home.

Anyway, nice little buck for my buddy that should turn into some good eats.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u438/scottmh19/photo3.jpeg (http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/scottmh19/media/photo3.jpeg.html)

HarryToolips
10-06-2014, 08:31 PM
Way to go, good shooting..should be tasty..

adriaticum
10-06-2014, 09:11 PM
Tightey whitey!

10-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Congrats to the new comer. Great looking first deer, good eating that one

great to have new hunters out there

ct

hoochie
10-06-2014, 09:59 PM
good job guys!