PDA

View Full Version : New to BC deer hunting

canadian_alpine
10-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Hey guys,

I'm new to BC hunting as most of my experience was in NW Ontario growing up and I've had a few year break since moving to BC, but I was curious if anyone has any advice with regards to best time of day/terrain/area? I'm not expecting anyone to divulge any honey holes, but some helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. I

live in Langley and have explored up behind Hope around Shylock Rd. and seen a fair amount of fresh deer activity and a fair bit of cat activity, but just tracks and scat, no actual sightings. Is this a decent area to be focusing on? I also spent a day exploring up and down the Coq and up around Murray Lake and didn't see a single thing aside form a rabbit...

I'm also heading up to Hedley next weekend to move some cattle at the ranch, and was wondering if anyone had any insight into that area? I saw 2 WT does and a half a dozen mulie does a month or so ago, but no buck activity...like I said, I'm not expecting an address to the deers' front door and an invite in, but any help from people that know the area and have experience hunting out here would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Singleshotneeded
10-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Well, in general this time of year get to the edge of a clear cut or opening a ways away from an access road, during the work week if possible to cut down on the competition out there. :-D Make sure it has plenty of deer food and recent deer droppings so you know it's popular. Approach it from downwind before dawn and that'll give you the best chance to spot a buck. In a very general sense, muleys can often be spotted both on early morning hunts and evening hunts, but whitetails are almost always taken in the morning...yes of course there's exceptions...but in general first light is prime time. It's still mild so focus a bit more on the higher elevations...hope this helps. :-)

BChunter
10-06-2014, 06:32 PM
CAlpiner, the mule deer season only gets better until the end of season. Mid November they just appear from their secluded areas searching for hot gals. Walk into the wind half way up a side hill or behind a ridge. Pop over the top periodically very carefully. They will spot any movement but may walk right past if your still.
Find does and watch them for as long as possible. Secondly, walk about a mile per day if there is lots of fresh sign, slowly, stop often and listen. You may hear them run off and then know you've been too fast, but close. Tracks will either be walking or running evidence they were there.
Early and before dusk they get hungry and will be moving. Southern BC you need to glass side hills very closely for bedded bucks mid day where they can watch around themselves. Actually finding them is the only difficulty. Big bucks can be found around Hedley. Walk in a mile or so from roads as they do learn to avoid vehicles. Good luck and hold out for a good 4 point.

HarryToolips
10-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Look for fresh sign, if none, move on til found:-D

canadian_alpine
10-06-2014, 07:32 PM
Perfect, thanks for your insight guys. I'm glad to hike around the bush for miles, that's no problem, I'm definitely not a road hunter...just wanted to make sure I was going to be walking in the right areas, haha. :tongue: Still learning to hunt in mountainous terrain.
We're probably not going to be riding out until 9ish or so to go move cattle in the mornings, so I was shooting to be up the mountain around 5ish until around 8ish and then head up again in the evening and kill the last of the daylight. I've also heard I want to be focusing on South facing slopes...any truth to that?

Thanks again everyone! :-D