PDA

View Full Version : Teenagers 1st Doe 5:02 suggestions requested

JAFA
10-06-2014, 12:17 PM
My kids and one of their teen friends and I will be headed up 5:02 to try to fill the kids Doe tags. They are 13-14-15 They have youth 5:02 Mule Deer Doe tags (2). We will be up this Thursday heading home the Tuesday following. So Thanksgiving in the bush!
If you care to, we would appreciate any advice on where and how to connect, it will be their first if we are lucky.
I am considering Mcleese Lk or maybe Moorehead lk area, but am totally open to suggestions.
Any advice is warmly appreciated.
Thanks Jim.

ravensfoot
10-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Talk to Steven Rupp, (aka srupp (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?2897-srupp)), he is the best intel for up in that area!!

JAFA
10-06-2014, 01:14 PM
LOL Thanks, have, I think he is out hunting. :) More worried about being in the wrong area and messing up one of his moose hunts.

Essential
10-06-2014, 05:02 PM
For a Doe drive up Beaver Lake Rd your bound to run into a bunch

Tyler660
10-06-2014, 05:11 PM
Like essential said beaver valley rd and the spur roads off that. You can take that from mcleese lake all the way to horsefly. Lots of doe in there last year when we were on our oct moose draw.

shelg
10-06-2014, 06:29 PM
Heading up ther this weekend in 5-02. PM me.

JAFA
10-06-2014, 07:30 PM
Pm sent :)

JAFA
10-07-2014, 10:34 AM
Has anybody driven this road in a while, i'm going to be pulling a small camper behind a small 4x4.

Going in blind, so if you know of a good spot to camp, I'd appreciate knowing about it.

Drillbit
10-07-2014, 12:22 PM
What road, Beaver Valley?

It's a gravel highway. No problem.

Jackson Hole is a nice campsite. Few potholes going in there, and a little ways off the main rd, but a nice site.

Elk Lake site is right on the road, but lots of people pull in and out of there all day long. I wouldn't leave my stuff there.

There's a nice hidden spot just past Jackson hole lake and before Elk lake on the right. It's in behind the old gravel pit on a little slough. No outhouse at that one though

JAFA
10-07-2014, 01:02 PM
Yes Beaver Valley...
Thanks Drillbit, I will Google that. Typically we dig and cover our own outhouse - Heck we have teenagers they are good diggers :).

Good fillers too :???:

Drillbit
10-07-2014, 06:55 PM
^Haha

I've camped at Jackson Hole a few times. Usually Atv from there through the back trails to big lake store, tyee lake and even to blue lake. Not sure if you're taking an atv or not., Pretty bumpy trails for a truck there. Range country to on those trails so cattle are out.

Over the other way around the elk lake area there is lots of feed as it doesn't seem to be range country. I've seen lots of deer there.

XPEIer
10-08-2014, 06:41 AM
I would base at Elk, unless you dont mind the 3km road in and out of Jacksons Hole. Head any direction from there and you will find a doe. I actually have pictures of a doe standing on the dock at Jacksons.

As you head East on Beaver Valley Road you will run into more and more private land, so a bit of mapping first may keep you out of trouble.

Also, forest industry has deactivated almost every spur road off of Beaver Valley Road, I still see quad tracks going in, but a no go for a pickup, which may be great for the kids to search for a doe.

xpeier

BigfishCanada
10-08-2014, 08:13 AM
I have taken over 10 teen out for their first deer over the last 15 years (Again i am taking 3 this weekend) and a few general comments. Take rubber gloves, they seem to calm any kids from thinking i have blood on my hands, and once your done they snap off and there hands arent a mess,

Also when shooting act real calm, if i get excited kids get 10x more excited. And if they miss or screw up, coach them its ok, not a biggie it happens to all of us (Even if they miss the biggest trophy and your thinking "What a dumb ass").

And last suggestion is, talk to them before the shot that its all about the meat so once a shot is fired its not an animal anymore its our dinner and we need to take care of our dinner, once he shoots cheer/congrats then go back to, now lets get to work. if you remove all anxiety about cutting an animal a kid wont even think its a big deal and he will want to get his hands even more dirty getting the job done.

Be safe have fun!!!!

264mag
10-13-2014, 10:24 PM
I am heading up on Oct. 29th with two kids that have doe tags. We are doing a wall tent camp and will be bringing two quads. Any update and or tips for campsites and general areas would be appreciated.
thanks in advance everyone.