PDA

View Full Version : elk hunting near princeton

elkaholk
10-06-2014, 08:25 AM
Hi all
Just wanted to know if I'm wasting my time planning a elk trip for next season. I've never hunted around princeton, but it looks very promising. I used to hunt south of cranbrook with great success. Is it similar? Any information would be great.. I'm not after anyone's hunny holes. Thanks

mikeman20
10-06-2014, 09:27 AM
I have never attempted it personally, but from what I have heard you need some serious luck!

mike-juliet
10-06-2014, 09:31 AM
You need to spend lots of time in the preseason scouting and finding herds, the immense hunting pressure around the area makes for extremely tough hunting even for locals.
With that being said a Friends Father In Law shot a 7x6 this morning around town, the mythical Princeton bulls do exist.

markomoose
10-06-2014, 09:38 AM
Saw tracks from a herd of elk up whipsaw but that was 15years ago.

elkaholk
10-06-2014, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the replys. I'm currently in alberta and there's a ton of pressure on the elk herds. My brother lives in Princeton and will be doing the scouting for me.. he has seen a few herds up near cooper mountain mine. I guess I'll have to give it a go.. and before people get bent out of shape I'm originally from salmon arm. So im not a evil albertan coming to steel your animals..lol

Barracuda
10-06-2014, 10:47 AM
seen about a half a dozen from the area so far .

ElliotMoose
10-07-2014, 07:43 AM
The Princeton elk is a serious accomplishment. They are there, but you will certainly have to work for them

elkaholk
10-07-2014, 08:20 AM
Lol hunting elk in alberta is a tough go. So im not worried about working for one. It makes it that much better when you do connect.. I'd rather hunt in the kootneys but I have no family there.. so princeton it is.. thanks for the replys guys..

Elkhound
10-07-2014, 08:24 AM
I have hunted Elk in BC and Alberta.....those princeton elk are tough to find. After 6 years we finally connected this year. Seen only two bulls in all that time. Good luck