PDA

View Full Version : I met couple of feral pigs in the bush

tadpole
10-06-2014, 07:14 AM
While hunting zone 8-22 I met 2 big feral pigs in the bush, maybe 5 km from a last acreage area in a crown land. Totally surprised, I was not sure if I'm in legal position to harvest them. I followed them for a few hundred meters than came back to my truck to read regulations. Followed them again but was able to locate the smaller one only. I shot it in the head from 40 meters distance. the sucker was so heavy I couldn't even move it at all.
I had to quarter it to be able to loaded it in. It was chunky and quite muddied with very thick skin and hardly any bacon on it. Flesh has some "wild" smell to it but tastes great. It will make excellent addition to make my venison sausages. It lives in my freezer now to kill any pathogens she might harbor. I just need to harvest couple of deer now which is much easier than getting another feral pig.

Grousedaddy
10-06-2014, 07:21 AM
Way to go on the pig little bonus

boxhitch
10-06-2014, 07:44 AM
That would be a surprise . Heard rumours but now thats proof.

Sofa King
10-06-2014, 08:11 AM
uh-oh.
people on here are going to call you a liar.

digger dogger
10-06-2014, 08:18 AM
Sweet!!!
Hows about a pic of her?
Is this an HBC 1st?
I think this is the first thread with a dead pig in it.

carnivore
10-06-2014, 08:19 AM
Without photos, maybe you just imagined it??:neutral:

tadpole
10-06-2014, 08:26 AM
I have a photos.Just waiting for Iron Noging to wake up so he can post them for me.

coach
10-06-2014, 08:38 AM
Congrats on the pig! Picture posting instructions are in my sig line..

f350ps
10-06-2014, 09:13 AM
uh-oh.
people on here are going to call you a liar.

There's been a few shot in the Christina Lake area so I don't doubt his claim, would love to see a pic! K

IronNoggin
10-06-2014, 10:22 AM
I have a photos.Just waiting for Iron Noging to wake up so he can post them for me.

LOL! Picked a great day to sleep in eh?

As I alluded to in the other (pheral pig) thread, I've known about Tad's encounter and harvest of a wandering bush pig for some time now. I was tempted to post the pictures when he first sent them to me, but recognized I should wait for him to tell the story.

So without any further delay...

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/Bush_Pig_1.jpg

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/Bush_Pig_2.jpg

In the picture above you can just make out the darker pig entering the bush. It is obviously much larger than the one following. Methinks given the amount of effort encountered dressing, quartering and loading the lighter one, he likely chose The Right One to shoot!

http://gallery.fishbc.com/albums/Ironnoggin/Bush_Pig_3.jpg

I did ask him why no "kill shots" and he informed me that once his mind was made up to do the deed, he simply went into Hunt Mode - abandoning the camera in favor of his rifle and related equipment. He certainly was EXCITED that first call after the pig was down! But the next he was obviously dead tired and explaining just how much work goes into a pig when by yourself! Having dealt with many the past couple of years (domestic) I can truly say it is a task best handled with a few good friends!

Tried talking The Man into collecting the bigger one as well, but he declined, suggesting he would need 3 or 4 men to accompany him to Git 'Er Done. In retrospect I am fine with that. Perhaps, just perhaps he can be sweet talked into having a little look or two for it when I wander over there later in the fall... :wink:

Congratulations Buddy! You have a freezer full of some extra fine sausage material, and it should indeed blend right well with the upcoming deer headed your way this fall!

Cheers,
Nog

deerhunt
10-06-2014, 11:43 AM
Great work! Nice pic's to. Thanks for sharing. First pictures I have seen of feral pigs from BC.

Roadkill
10-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Way to" bring home the bacon" , I'm headed up 8-15 next week for whitetail.

would be nice to see one of those!

HarryToolips
10-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Wicked! Can't wait til the pops gets a little higher so we can eat em all the time...don't want to see it get out of control like some parts of the USA however..

Lillypuff
10-06-2014, 04:03 PM
good on you. Please go hammer the other one as well. We don't want these things around here.

f350ps
10-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Still like to see a pic of a dead one! K

Singleshotneeded
10-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Cool! I also wouldn't want the numbers to climb up like they've done in the US, but it's great that we'll be able to harvest some "side meat" in future. Congratulations! :-D

Brez
10-06-2014, 06:19 PM
Way to go! You got my mouth watering. I've always wanted to taste one of them.

Boner
10-09-2014, 05:54 AM
Congratulations!!! I have always wanted to be on a successful pig hunt. That's some good eats right there.

Bushy
10-09-2014, 06:41 AM
Nicely done Tad, running into a pig hunting deer one must think WTF my luck. lol.

Interested on the taste of the different parts of animal.

Rich

eaglesnester
10-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Outstanding if they taste anything like the Asian bore in Germany yur in fer some mighty fine eaten.

tadpole
10-09-2014, 01:30 PM
I tried ribs only for now. And they were superb. The rest is in a freezer for now, just in the case of potential heart worm( trichinosis).
Not as much fat on them as domestic pigs, that's for sure.

howa1500
10-09-2014, 01:57 PM
I tried ribs only for now. And they were superb. The rest is in a freezer for now, just in the case of potential heart worm( trichinosis).
Not as much fat on them as domestic pigs, that's for sure.
FYI, Freezing wild game does not prevent trichinosis. This is because the trichinosis worm species that usually infect game animals is resistant to freezing.

Only cooking meet to an internal temp of 165 Fahrenheit will kill the critters.

The type that usually infects domestic pork products can be killed freezing for over 3 days at -20 degrees Celsius. Check your freezer because a few degrees difference can mean a longer freeze to kill the domestic version.

Liveforthehunt
10-09-2014, 02:31 PM
Very cool that's two I know of down this year now ... With pictures to prove in both occasions ... Pretty sure I sent iron nog the pic :D 8-22 hmmm I better Check the regs might be same area my friend took one ...

Seth
10-09-2014, 04:08 PM
Any guess as to what it weighed?

BigfishCanada
10-09-2014, 04:28 PM
Its actually not that cool that we have these things in the OK area now, get your buddies to kill the heard as quick as possible

f350ps
10-09-2014, 04:35 PM
Still like to see a pic of a dead one! K

Salty
10-09-2014, 04:55 PM
WTH 350 are you the editor-director of this thread? :mrgreen:

180grainer
10-09-2014, 07:19 PM
WTH 350 are you the editor-director of this thread? :mrgreen:

Well cut him some slack. Never in the history of HBC have any feral pigs been shot. Now after a controversial post I think started by Srupp of pig in WL, we have two "confirmed" kills of pigs. Killem if ya gottem and good on the guys. I also know if I say there's something not right here I'll get Fisher Dude posting a picture of a guy with a tin foil hat....:)

Dannybuoy
10-09-2014, 07:56 PM
As a long time resident of this region , I haven't heard of feral pigs in the area but I do know of a farmer that has a large rural farm in the hills that raises pigs that look very similar to the ones in the photo .... I hope the OP knows that he was indeed on crown land ...

180grainer
10-09-2014, 08:15 PM
I did ask him why no "kill shots" Having dealt with many the past couple of years (domestic) I can truly say it is a task best handled with a few good friends!

Tried talking The Man into collecting the bigger one as well, but he declined, suggesting he would need 3 or 4 men to accompany him to Git 'Er Done. In retrospect I am fine with that. Perhaps, just perhaps he can be sweet talked into having a little look or two for it when I wander over there later in the fall... :wink:

Nog

I've done two moose on my own. That's a lot of work. And I have pictures of them both "dead" but none alive as I was "in hunter mode". The backs on those pigs are below the tall grass. Lucky if they're pushing 250 lbs. Second, this isn't wild game. They're feral hogs. If there are 10 of them, you kill them all and take the one you want.

tadpole
10-09-2014, 08:44 PM
Any guess as to what it weighed?

Even after I gut it I couldn't move it an inch. Had to quarter it to load it. It stays in my freezer for unbelievers to look at if in Okanagan.lol. I'm subsistence hunter and not often make a pictures of my kills.

Mik
10-12-2014, 02:21 AM
can you send me the coordinates so i can get the other one :)