PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Loaders?

Clam
03-14-2007, 03:09 PM
Anybody hunt with or otherwise shoot muzzle loading rifles and/or shotguns?

Besides me8) , that is...

MB_Boy
03-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Now we're talkin!! 8)

.54 cal traditional.......

timberhunter
03-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Cva 12 gau sxs, took a deer at 10 feet last year with it.
54 cal thompson center hawken
1840's single barrel 14 gauge. Very cool oldtimer

Bushman
03-14-2007, 06:23 PM
50 Caliber Hawken by Thompson Center Arms.
Amazed at the rifle's accuracy—and the penetration of the big 50 cal Buffalo Bullets.
The mountain men and early fur traders were well armed if they were shootin' a Hawken rifle.

Bushman

moosecaller
03-14-2007, 07:10 PM
.54 cal. T/C Renegade percussion shoots great never had to make a follow up shot on 3 moose 2 bears and a mule deer.

trapperdan2061
03-14-2007, 07:23 PM
CVA Mountain Stalker "Flint Lock" 6 deer Ontario, 4 deer P.A., 2 deer Ohio in 5 years

Patch and Ball with 85 grains FF cost of gun $300 CDN and better yet not a firearm no PAC required, not even for the Black powder

Dan

JoshLedoux
03-14-2007, 08:07 PM
My stuff's mostly custom But EXTREMELY nice have a few art works by asher hamilton and numerous other various rigles shotguns and pistols including a four barrel rotary pepperbox

Tinney
03-14-2007, 08:32 PM
50 Caliber Hawken by Thompson Center Arms.
Amazed at the rifle's accuracy—and the penetration of the big 50 cal Buffalo Bullets.
The mountain men and early fur traders were well armed if they were shootin' a Hawken rifle.

Bushman

Do you have a pic or can you describe? Muzzleloaders are somewhere I'd like to go someday.

Bushman
03-15-2007, 04:57 AM
Do you have a pic or can you describe? Muzzleloaders are somewhere I'd like to go someday.

Hi Tinney:

Muzzle loaders—and everything that traditionally goes along with owning one—are a great deal of fun to shoot.
The T/C Hawken comes highly recommended by this old mountain man.
Here's some info on the T/C Hawken and a link to their site:

HAWKEN

A TOP QUALITY, AMERICAN MADE MUZZLELOADING RIFLE

In .50 Caliber Cap Lock Or .50 Caliber Flint Lock
Undoubtedly the most copied rifle in the history of firearms, the T/C Hawken™ was designed for the American shooter. This is a top quality firearm—every bit as fine as the one your great, great granddaddy carried across his saddle pommel or packed along on the wagon train. It captures the romance of the original but it is manufactured to standards of quality control that were unheard of in the early 1800’s. The proper use of the inves™ent casting, improved methods of hardening parts and deep hole drilling, the use of continuous Magnaflux process to guard against imperfections in the steel itself coupled to our constant attention to min./max. tolerances is what allows us to offer a Lifetime Warranty! Inspect a T/C Hawken™ at your local dealer and compare it to all other brands before you purchase. We manufacture the finest quality muzzleloading firearms available.

Link: http://www.tcarms.com/

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/images/silos/5024.jpg

sealevel
03-15-2007, 06:18 AM
I have a couple 50 cal kentucky flintlocks one i made from a kit one i made from scratch . i have shot one deer with them. I also have a 1861 springfield 16 gadge muzzle loader i would like to hunt ducks with this fall.

willyqbc
03-15-2007, 07:27 AM
50 cal CVA hawken's here. I can't decide if i want to take my spring bear with it or my bow this year....wait....I'll do one of each!!:lol:

Chris

Sideofabarn
03-15-2007, 07:27 AM
Bushman, the caplock was considered about the most reliable of muzzleloaders was it not? Did you buy it here in BC or did you import it from the States? I'm with Tinney, I'd love to get an old smokepole and dust up some critters

Bushman
03-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Bushman, the caplock was considered about the most reliable of muzzleloaders was it not? Did you buy it here in BC or did you import it from the States? I'm with Tinney, I'd love to get an old smokepole and dust up some critters

Hi Sideofabarn:

The flintlock mechanism was developed around the mid-1500s and lasted until about the mid-1800s. The flintlock mechanism was the first inexpensive system for firing a gun.

Although the flintlocks lasted a good deal of time, they were eventually replaced the more reliable, easier loading, more weather resistant percussion cap-lock system.

I bought my .50 caliber T/C Hawken in a rough kit form (semi-inletted stock with finished barrel and hardware) many years ago at Gold & Guns in Surrey when Bob still owned the store.

If you like working with wood, can follow fairly simple assembly instructions and know a little about rifles, the T/C Hawken in kit form will give you a great feeling of accomplishment when you finally get to shoot the rifle you lovingly put together with your own two hands.

Should you find that you enjoy your new black powder rifle and get mighty serious about shootin' smokepoles, there's a whole new mountain man lifestyle that's just waiting for you to live it.

In all honesty I can say that with my shooting experience (whether it be in the mountains or at the rendezvous) the T/C Hawkens truly shine.

Bushman

Gateholio
03-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Hi Tinney:

Muzzle loaders—and everything that traditionally goes along with owning one—are a great deal of fun to shoot.
The T/C Hawken comes highly recommended by this old mountain man.
Here's some info on the T/C Hawken and a link to their site:

HAWKEN

A TOP QUALITY, AMERICAN MADE MUZZLELOADING RIFLE

In .50 Caliber Cap Lock Or .50 Caliber Flint Lock
Undoubtedly the most copied rifle in the history of firearms, the T/C Hawken™ was designed for the American shooter. This is a top quality firearm—every bit as fine as the one your great, great granddaddy carried across his saddle pommel or packed along on the wagon train. It captures the romance of the original but it is manufactured to standards of quality control that were unheard of in the early 1800’s. The proper use of the inves™ent casting, improved methods of hardening parts and deep hole drilling, the use of continuous Magnaflux process to guard against imperfections in the steel itself coupled to our constant attention to min./max. tolerances is what allows us to offer a Lifetime Warranty! Inspect a T/C Hawken™ at your local dealer and compare it to all other brands before you purchase. We manufacture the finest quality muzzleloading firearms available.

Link: http://www.tcarms.com/

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/images/silos/5024.jpg

My buddy left me his Hawken for several years while he travelled. It was the kit one, that he built himslef, - very cool.

I had alot of fun wiht it, and always thought about getting one for myself.

Heck, we could put a ML season in the early bow season, too.8-)

Bushman
03-15-2007, 05:49 PM
My buddy left me his Hawken for several years while he travelled. It was the kit one, that he built himslef, - very cool.

I had alot of fun wiht it, and always thought about getting one for myself.

Heck, we could put a ML season in the early bow season, too.8-)

Gatehouse:

How did you find the accuracy of your buddy's Hawken?

A regular group of us mountain men used to get together every now and again for a little shootin' contest. The first time I saw .45 or .50 caliber round balls split on an axe blade at 25 yards or regular playing cards on-edge cut in half I was amazed.

Once I learned a few tricks and got the hang of shootin' my Hawken, the above almost came naturally at each and every outing.

Bushman

sealevel
03-15-2007, 06:08 PM
Bushman you and i most have run into each other at a rendezvoes someplace . I have been doing that hear and on the island since 86.

Gateholio
03-16-2007, 09:51 AM
I can't say that I really ever bench tested it for accuracy, I mostly used it for blowing up pop bottles out to around 100 yards, using roundballs:lol:

I never hunted wiht it, as it was very heavy.

Clam
03-17-2007, 03:49 PM
:) Well, I must say I am gratified to learn that I am not alone after all! I was beginning to think that I was the only ML shooter in the Lower Mainland:eek: . Most of the locals hereabouts seem to favour either huge magnums or spray and pray Rambo.

I have a .50 T/C "Hawken" percussion. (Actually "Hawken style" would be more historically correct.) It is accurate, reliable and very sturdy. I cast my own projectiles both round balls and Lee REAL bullets. It likes .010 patches and I use a lube made of beeswax, Crisco and some blue goo I got from Dixie Gun Works quite some time ago. This rifle is equally accurate with both Goex and Pyrodex.

I made a powder horn a few years back as well as some antler and brass powder measures. Now I am just about finished a second horn (one for Goex and one for Pyro) and some knives.

I like muzzle loading because it is more challenging and, of course, the flame and clouds of fragrant aromatic smoke are essential for both physical and mental health!