PDA

View Full Version : Burns lake

Brad talkkari
10-05-2014, 06:32 PM
So I've just recently joined a group of buddies that are heading to the southern Francois lake area around burns lake. We will be there for the duration of any bul moose from the 20-26th. I have never been close to this area, furthest I've ever hunted would be revelatoke. Just was wanting some feed back from those who have hunted around there and what to expect. Definitely looking forward to it and hopefully can seal the deal, thanks

decker9
10-05-2014, 06:58 PM
Usually rain sleet and bad weather, but that's moose huntin lol. So your heading to the south side? Across the ferry? I don't hunt over there anymore, so happy to help you out if that's the direction your going. Cheers

Machinist
10-05-2014, 07:21 PM
Just returned from there but we hunted on the north side of the Hwy along Babine LK , filled all three of our LEH tags and bagged two big black bears seen 4 other bulls and several cows as well, wish we had more LEH's , Nothing to write home about on the antlers but lots of good meat in the freezer , There is a good meat cutter in Topley , just west of Burns , they cut our meat for .55 cents cut and wrapped and did an excellent job. Good luck on your hunt.

Brad talkkari
10-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the reply, I have only ever shot immy bulls so I am game for anything size. This is a 100% fill the freezer type of hunt for all going. How is it for deer up there? Will be there for a couple days of any buck as well. Just gotta get some meat down, haven't shot a ungulate in 5 years. Too busy making babies and buying a house of my own. Time to get back down to business

Piperdown
10-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Get ready for a complete GONG SHOW it is crazy busy with hunters during the general open, a total shit show!

Brad talkkari
10-05-2014, 07:50 PM
Yeah I've also heard that from a few people...... Gonna have to put some miles under the boots to be successful I think

Drillbit
10-05-2014, 08:00 PM
I went there last year. Not sure if I'm going to go again yet.

A dozen bulls were shot on the roads the first day. Lots of traffic. Lots of wolf sign too where I was.

If you're lucky, you're lucky. I was lucky the last day.

Machinist
10-06-2014, 07:13 AM
Did not see any deer , the area we hunt is not known as a good deer area ,but lots of bears they are everywhere, and I agree with the others on this post its a gong show during the GOS season , you have to get off the roads and hike in a bit to find the game or as we do use a boat to get down the lake where there is no acess by road.

decker9
10-06-2014, 08:17 AM
Yes get deer tags! Wt and mulie. It only a gong show if you don't know where to hunt. Pm'd you

decker9
10-06-2014, 08:21 AM
Also, the butcher lady in topley does amazing work as machinist stated, at a great price. I used her last season, and will definitely be using her again.

ultramafic
10-06-2014, 10:36 AM
We went up there one year to cross OOTSA for our moose hunt... pretty rugged country on the other side and we were not successful. We did a fair bit of exploring on the north side of OOTSA south of Francois, pretty country saw lots of bears not a whole lot of everything else... however the fishing in OOTSA lake was pretty wild and the rainbows get pretty big up there.. I could see how that area could get busy for the open...
mike

Brad talkkari
10-06-2014, 08:25 PM
Thanks for all the replys guys! Looking forward to this hunt, first real experience going north. Will be sure to post story and pics when I get back.

steel_ram
10-06-2014, 09:07 PM
There some great mule deer in the area if you find the pockets. Definitely get a MD tag and hunt some south facing slopes.

Drache
10-08-2014, 07:07 AM
My great grandfather helped settle Ootsa Lake and was a game guide there for much of his life, so was my grandfather. I still have a lot of family up that way. Ive been doing the 6 day hunt for moose up there for many years. Like others have said, expect to be running into a lot of other hunters.

Brad talkkari
10-08-2014, 05:23 PM
That's pretty cool drache. I have been given some good info about the area and I am definitely not one to hunt from a machine. Will be a cool experience being my first time up north. Best of luck to yah as well

scallywag
10-08-2014, 08:25 PM
See you up there if you see a burgundy jeep wave me down for a bullshit

Darksith
10-08-2014, 08:44 PM
Also, the butcher lady in topley does amazing work as machinist stated, at a great price. I used her last season, and will definitely be using her again.

I hear you'll be using her sooner than later ;)...patiently waiting

decker9
10-09-2014, 09:47 AM
I hear you'll be using her sooner than later ;)...patiently waiting

Haha, I'll do a wright up. By far the hardest hunt of my life....... ;p haha

bazza
06-28-2019, 06:44 AM
Haha, I'll do a wright up. By far the hardest hunt of my life....... ;p haha

Hey Decker,
I drew Sept 10-24 Bull Moose this year in 6-5. I have never hunted up north and am looking for any and all advice and if lucky can I get the meat cutters contact info? Thanks everyone.

decker9
06-28-2019, 11:08 AM
Hey Decker,
I drew Sept 10-24 Bull Moose this year in 6-5. I have never hunted up north and am looking for any and all advice and if lucky can I get the meat cutters contact info? Thanks everyone.

Eh bazza, you bet, I’ll fire some info to you this weekend here!! A good area you’ve got, the early season is a bit tougher to hunt, but I’ll fill you in on what I know. Cheers!

Bobfl
06-28-2019, 04:42 PM
go fraser lake forest rd to 59 km,cross river and lake 500 rd to right. it joins up to ferry at burns. good hunting and prepare to walk when you see deactivations. look on google if your going burns lake way. dont miss the turnoff to the south side

Wild one
06-28-2019, 04:48 PM
go fraser lake forest rd to 59 km,cross river and lake 500 rd to right. it joins up to ferry at burns. good hunting and prepare to walk when you see deactivations. look on google if your going burns lake way. dont miss the turnoff to the south side

That is not 6-05 though

Machinist
06-29-2019, 08:47 AM
We drew two Bull Tags for 6-06 , so will be in there Sept 12 to 24 , use different tactics on the early season as they tend to hang around the water where its cooler for them also first light in the morning or until last light in the evening seems to work best at that time of the season during the day when it's warm out it's pretty slow , we have never had problems filling our tags on the early season.
We have been using the meat cutter at Toply they do a good job and close drive from our Moose Camp .
Area 6-05 Take the Augier Main FSR north off Hwy 16 then take the CO-OP Lake road east off the Augier , some good places to camp in there , we have taken many moose off CO-OP Lake

bazza
06-29-2019, 09:14 PM
We drew two Bull Tags for 6-06 , so will be in there Sept 12 to 24 , use different tactics on the early season as they tend to hang around the water where its cooler for them also first light in the morning or until last light in the evening seems to work best at that time of the season during the day when it's warm out it's pretty slow , we have never had problems filling our tags on the early season.
We have been using the meat cutter at Toply they do a good job and close drive from our Moose Camp .
Area 6-05 Take the Augier Main FSR north off Hwy 16 then take the CO-OP Lake road east off the Augier , some good places to camp in there , we have taken many moose off CO-OP Lake

Thanks Machinist, great info.
Can you PM me (or post it here) the contact info for the meat cutter?

Thanks.

Barret. aka Bazza

Piperdown
06-30-2019, 06:56 AM
Bazza you might want to look under the butcher thread, he is probably listed there, if not if and when you get the info add it to the thread, good luck on your season :)

Wild one
06-30-2019, 07:00 AM
Don’t use the butcher on the south side very poor quality work. I used him once because I did not have time and it reminded me why I butcher my own

decker9
06-30-2019, 08:10 AM
Don’t use the butcher on the south side very poor quality work. I used him once because I did not have time and it reminded me why I butcher my own

X2!! I made the mistake once, Iv heard horror stories about their shop’s cleanliness. Iv been using the sausage factory in Smithers the past couple years, a little more $$, but they do an amazing job, and have catered to guys, “in a pinch” for a cooler or butchering.

Wild one
06-30-2019, 08:27 AM
X2!! I made the mistake once, Iv heard horror stories about their shop’s cleanliness. Iv been using the sausage factory in Smithers the past couple years, a little more $$, but they do an amazing job, and have catered to guys, “in a pinch” for a cooler or butchering.

Definitely a mistake you only make once

I get my sausage done at the sausage factory and can say they do a great job as well. I have not used their butcher service so I have no input there

S.W.A.T.
06-30-2019, 09:18 AM
Reccomend DLM meats in Houston. Awesome job great quality and service.