PDA

View Full Version : south island duck hunting help

tripleseven
10-05-2014, 03:50 PM
Hi all,

Some of my best memories as a kid were duck hunting in the Cariboo, and i would really love to do it again. I live in Victoria, and I have all the personal items to go on a hunt...shotgun, waders, thermos, even a little zodiak/outboard. What I don't have are decoys, knowledge of where to start, or a hunting buddy.

If anyone in the area would be inclined to make me out, I would really appreciate it. I'll have gas money (also have my own pick up), bring lunch and coffee. Maybe we could even trade a duck hunt for a coho fishing trip on my boat :-)

I'm 37, an experienced hunter and fisherman, and easy going. Please PM me or message below!

Cheers!

tigrr
10-05-2014, 09:02 PM
Did a lot of hunting the mud flats behind Tofino and up Barkley Sound. Seen some locations that had a great deal of that green lettuce and there would be 1000 mallards eating there at low tide.
The "mrs" wanted me too switch to geese after eating a few ducks. Now the mrs won't eat any waterfowl.
Hope you can find a place and a new duck hunting buddy. The geese just started flying over.

tripleseven
10-07-2014, 06:30 PM
Thanks Tigrr,

I've heard from a few people that ducks here are pretty bad to eat. Hopefully that isn't always the case. We made the mistake of shooting a couple mallards on a river once, I still remember the grey slime coming form their mouth and the stench. Oh man did they stink.

Cheers!

lorneparker1
10-07-2014, 08:21 PM
The ducks here are as good as any other duck any other place in north America to eat

tigrr
10-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Don't get me wrong, lorne, I still enjoyed eating the mallards from tofino sea lettuce feeding flats. But I ate them alone!! The only duck I don't eat is fish eaters.
I haven't shot a duck in 9 years. Still holding on to the decoys though. Still have 50 boxes of steel shot shells, waders and a Beretta AL390.

nedarb2
10-08-2014, 03:45 PM
shoot me a pm triple - i am in Duncan and hunt the area quite a bit - alone most of the time so some company would be nice.
I am going to be in the cariboo in a few weeks from now - maybe we can share some hunting spots up there.

tripleseven
10-09-2014, 09:34 PM
PM sent, thanks Nedarb, I'll help however I can...