PDA

View Full Version : Granby area

bearheart
10-05-2014, 10:17 AM
I've got a week off to hunt the Boundary area.(Next week!) Went last week to look around the area ( I have been loaned a place to stay for a week north of Grand Forks). It was very warm and dry.Looked around 3 days and saw a few grouse and one mule deer doe. Any general suggestions as to where to explore? No special spots , just vague suggestions, ( up the Granby, east of the valley toward Greenwood, or down low near the fields). I am just hunting for venison to eat, and any chance to see a legal animal. The mule deer population seems so low I am not that eager to shoot one. I am old, slow,patient and persistent, so suggestions should keep that in mind. Always like a new place to wander around in also. I once camped near St.Annes Creek, is there active logging there now or is it an ok place to check out? thanks for any and all info.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-05-2014, 10:38 AM
Mulie numbers are quite low in the area.....as you suspected....but your timing will be good to put a whitetail in the freezer since antlerless season starts on the 10th.

I'd venture further West or East if it's mulies that you're after.

Make sure you have an elk tag.

SSS

bearheart
10-05-2014, 10:42 AM
Thanks, got an elk tag for sure. I have seen cow elk there several times, no bulls though.

d6dan
10-05-2014, 12:03 PM
Burrell Creek holds more WT than Mulies on the valley floor. Check out Tenderloin or Mcfarlane ck well your up there. Should see some mulies.

HarryToolips
10-05-2014, 12:19 PM
Was up Deadeye FSR, looked pretty good, saw a couple black bear, seems too steep of terrain around there though to hold all that many WT..though the weather was crappy/really stormy when I was there...

Monashee
10-05-2014, 01:11 PM
the whitetail population in 8-15 is pitifull .... to encourage anyone to shoot a doe is beyond belief

Mulie numbers are quite low in the area.....as you suspected....but your timing will be good to put a whitetail in the freezer since antlerless season starts on the 10th.

SSS

d6dan
10-05-2014, 02:12 PM
the whitetail population in 8-15 is pitifull .... to encourage anyone to shoot a doe is beyond belief

Lots in the valley. They are so plentiful, there inbred.

Brez
10-05-2014, 02:52 PM
X2.....If you want meat in the Granby area, I suggest black bears. I hunted that area exclusively for 40 years. I quit going 7 or 8 years ago. Broke my heart. Oh, try in town - there are LOTS there.

bearheart
10-05-2014, 03:12 PM
X2.....If you want meat in the Granby area, I suggest black bears. I hunted that area exclusively for 40 years. I quit going 7 or 8 years ago. Broke my heart. Oh, try in town - there are LOTS there.

I've noticed there are loys of big whitetail deer right in town in GF. Seems to be a widespread phenomenon, quite a pain when you come out of the bush, bone tired and empty handed and you have to stop to let a big buck get across the street by the Dairy Queen:twisted:

d6dan
10-05-2014, 05:22 PM
I've noticed there are loys of big whitetail deer right in town in GF. Seems to be a widespread phenomenon, quite a pain when you come out of the bush, bone tired and empty handed and you have to stop to let a big buck get across the street by the Dairy Queen:twisted:

If you know the right Landowner it's a cake walk. Every year I go to visit family, I have no problems tagging out on runt Wt's. But I guess all those high pagewire fences around the yards and gardens are for decoration. :wink: