PDA

View Full Version : First deer!

Pangaea
10-05-2014, 07:19 AM
I've come to hunting a bit late - I'm in my early 50's- and have spent the past 6 months learning and practicing and practicing and scouting to the degree that I think some of my friends think I've joined some sort of cult. I've really got to thank all the kind folks on this board who have offered help, inspiration and insight. I know that for some, many of the posts are re-hashes of old topics, but they can be incredibly useful for many of us. None of my family hunted and a huge amount of my knowledge has come from all of you...

But to my story... I have spent the last month in Region 3 trying to get to get to know the area to the east of the Coq south of Merritt and although I had great success with grouse, had seen very few deer - and mostly does. What really bugged me is that in all these really deer-y looking areas there was almost no sign. Last weekend, a friend and I decided to branch out a bit farther north. We started the day near Logan Lake and pretty much immediately saw some pretty good sign. Tracks, poop everywhere. We were scouting and trying to get a broad picture of a new area and both really had our eyes on the Copper Creek area rather than Logan Lake, but that is where sunrise caught us, so we scouted this area. We drove to the end of this one road and while my friend stayed nearer the truck, I decided to go for a stroll down an ATV trail at the end which looked like it might lead to a decent cut block. Sign everywhere. Fresh. As I approached the end of the track, I turned to look up the block and there 60 yard away were a 2pt and a 3pt. But of course it was 4pt still... But they were THERE! They stood for so long that I decided to take out my bipod, get into position, and draw a bead on them for practice and could easily have taken either.

We spent the rest of the day driving past the Tunkwa area and through the beautiful open country around Copper Creek. Again, great habitat, no deer... Over and over, on this site I keep reading that when you find the deer, hunt THAT area, not the one that looks the best. So back at the motel in Kamloops, I asked my buddy whether we should just go back to where we were at the beginning of the previous day. He agreed, so we headed back first thin the next day.

At first light we both walked up that ATV trail, turned the corner and there in the middle of the block was a MONSTER 4pt. and two (at least) does - though I couldn't take my eyes off his massive shaggy shoulders - he looked like an elk! Problem: he had spotted us and was at least 450 yards away. Though he presented a huge and clear target, neither of us could take an ethical shot. He eventually turned and sauntered into the trees. We repositioned and sat and watched the block for a few hours, but nothing... Still, the adrenalin was flowing!

Nothing more that day, and we needed to get back home at a reasonable hour for work...

All week, I obsessed... I HAD to return; especially since it was now any buck. I had Saturday dinner plans I'd promised my wife I'd attend and other commitments on Sunday... Bless her enabling heart, but she didn't flinch when I told her my plan: Leave Friday afternoon, hunt until I got something or Sunday morning, then head down for our Sunday afternoon/evening events. I knew there would be 'consequences' if I missed Saturday though. :(

On Friday I scrambled to get done work by 2, got my co-workers to cover for me, and hightailled it to the secret spot. I arrived at 5:15, but it was pretty overcast, so light was falling fast. I saw four trucks road-hunting the lower part of my road! Not a good sign. I got into a good position up the block with the wind in my favour, but nothing... Set up camp in the dark, cooked dinner and chatted around the campfire of a neighbour who had been hunting all day. A local, he was concerned about the pressure in our area and was going to try a more remote area the next morning, even giving me general details about how to find it. I was firm in my commitment to the secret spot, though. Yesterday morning, I was up at 5 and on the slope at 6. The wind was perfect. I hiked up to where a little spit of trees projected out into the cutblock affording an almost 270 degree view. I sat and waited until I could make out something. A beautiful coloured sunrise began to unfold... Still nothing...

It was 7:00. I scanned the block over and over with by binos. Nothing... All of a sudden, in the middle of the block about 160 yards out, a 2pt buck appears slowly walking up a small draw. I get the crosshairs on him, but he's just a little too obscured for a shot. He goes behind a small bush and I move the crosshairs to the other side of the bush and wait. A 1-2 spiker appears on the other side - no sign of the 2pt - and I figure, well, you came for a deer, so... He walked up a rise and broadsided but just as I was about to pull the trigger - in fact as I was pulling the trigger- he quartered towards me. I made the slightest unconscious adjustment and fired. In the split second between the gun firing and the bullet hitting, I wondered whether I'd screwed it up by adjusting, but he stumbled. He did that odd jumpy dance for about 50 yards towards me, gave a final leap into the air and went down. What a rush!

He's no trophy, but he's my first:

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af274/mrobertsfish/photo-11.jpg (http://s1015.photobucket.com/user/mrobertsfish/media/photo-11.jpg.html)

Gutted and dragged him the 1.5 km out to the vehicle, packed up camp and packed him with ice and made it back to town in time for a nap before our Saturday dinner party... :-D

s0ylentgreen
10-05-2014, 07:28 AM
great job and great story!

congrats

deer nut
10-05-2014, 07:29 AM
He is a trophy! Congratulations!

boxhitch
10-05-2014, 07:35 AM
Almost perfect scenario , attago
patience and perseverance

Rhyno
10-05-2014, 07:44 AM
Right on, congrats! Way to stick to an area and make it pay! Looks like some tender eats.

nano
10-05-2014, 08:07 AM
Well done, congrats

HarryToolips
10-05-2014, 08:09 AM
Way to go congrats man!

GotaGun
10-05-2014, 08:24 AM
Nice size to start out with ( shoot , gut and drag out) when you are solo or just with one buddy.
Sounds like you started late in life but hit the ground running, and did all the things a good hunter would do with years of experience.

B-rad
10-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Awesome job,,,,,,great meat buck,,,,perfect eating,,,,,,,be proud of your buck,,,,there is a many many people that won't harvest a buck this year

Salty
10-05-2014, 08:36 AM
That's awesome Pangaea :mrgreen: That's what this site's all about real nice to see an old basturd like you take up hunting with no mentors. I can say that, I'm the same age :tongue: I did about the same thing, the self teach thing about 15 yrs ago. Shot grouse as a kid that was about it, and indeed learned a lot from guys on this site. You are doing a lot of things right if you're seeing and getting close to that many deer. Keep up the good work.

Sleep Robber
10-05-2014, 08:38 AM
Congrats on your first deer !!

coach
10-05-2014, 08:39 AM
Awesome! Congratulations on a tasty looking deer. There's some picture posting info in my signature line.

Pangaea
10-05-2014, 09:48 AM
Thanks, Coach! :mrgreen:

Kilwinning
10-05-2014, 09:58 AM
Congrats on your first one, the way you went about it , won`t be your last.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-05-2014, 10:50 AM
Better late than never!!
Congrats on your first deer!!

Now, you may want to consider picking up a pack so you can avoid those back-wrenching 1.5 km deer drags. A pack is much easier on the body and will allow you to feel comfortable dropping a deer just about anywhere.

SSS

ActionJackson017
10-05-2014, 10:58 AM
Congrats on your first deer! Excellent write up too, thanks for sharing!

Rusty
10-05-2014, 02:38 PM
way to go..., very nice deer.

buckguy
10-05-2014, 03:08 PM
Congrats on your first deer. Will be very good eats.

Badlands62
10-05-2014, 03:15 PM
Awesome job, congrats.

deerhunt
10-05-2014, 03:36 PM
Nicely done! Nice looking buck.

markt308
10-05-2014, 03:57 PM
loved reading that! congrats on your success and your first buck, which is indeed a trophy

Quince
10-05-2014, 04:12 PM
Good job on the deer.

hare_assassin
10-05-2014, 04:34 PM
Way to go! That's awesome, man! Really happy for you!

Ruffed
10-05-2014, 04:55 PM
That was a wonderful story. I very much enjoyed reading it. I've been hunting for years and I don't get one every year. That's a trophy for sure.

quadrakid
10-05-2014, 05:01 PM
At the end of this hunting season plenty of guys will eat tag soup,enjoy your tasty venison. Nice write up.First deer,pretty damn special at any age.

The Hermit
10-05-2014, 05:46 PM
Way to go ! Happy for you! Thanks for the great write up too. Now next weekend head back up and find that monster 4 point!!! ;_0

BDN9
10-05-2014, 06:24 PM
I loved reading this story. First deer is so exciting. Congratulations!

ElliotMoose
10-06-2014, 07:44 AM
That will be a fine eating buck! Congrats on your first and welcome to the addiction

mcrae
10-06-2014, 07:49 AM
Good Job. I remember my first deer like it was yesterday... Forgotten allot of others but the first is vivid in the memory banks!

Fisher-Dude
10-06-2014, 08:16 AM
Great story, great deer!

Congrats and enjoy the good eatin'!

Phoneguy
10-06-2014, 08:40 AM
Good write up Mr R. It was 3 does on day two, btw.

James

Pangaea
10-06-2014, 10:20 AM
Thanks to all of you for your congratulations; its kinda nice to hear from folks whose posts have helped me get this far!

Stone Sheep Steve, I hear you about the pack. Next time I may try the gutless method and pack it out, but as this was my first, and I was alone, I wanted to keep it as simple as possible. Man, was I sore yesterday... But a good sore! :-D

Thanks also to my friend James (Phoneguy) for helping me hang and dress it when I got home. The beer fridge never looked so good:

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af274/mrobertsfish/Fridgephoto.jpg (http://s1015.photobucket.com/user/mrobertsfish/media/Fridgephoto.jpg.html)