PDA

View Full Version : Elk Hunting: It's addicting

HarryToolips
10-04-2014, 10:43 PM
Just got back last saturday from a 4 day hunt, about as long as I could get away from the wife/young kid.. anyway, had never been to the area, in the West Koots, steep, saw only 4 deer in 4 days..had the opportunity to harvest a couple black bear, but they were too small to be worth it for me.. my buddy saw a bull elk but was not able to harvest it, so I knew elk were in the area...

On the last night we were there, we were driving, looking for an area that we could hunt for the last few hours of light. I had never seriously hunted for elk before, nor had learned from anybody how to do so..but as we were driving, this one area a ways off from any road just popped out at me..after tidbits of info gathered from this site, plus reading hunting mags etc about elk hunting, it just looked perfect..a couple mountain ridgelines descending toward each other, with a river weaving in right where they meet, plus a big mountain behind the river with a bunch of deciduous/coniferous mix..I told my buddy to stop, looks like a good area to look for sign, he agreed.. after hikin in for about an hour and a half, we start spotting elk sign, not much rubs, but tracks and scat (I'm not too familiar with elk poop, though this stuff was bigger than deer, shaped sorta like moose poop, and not as big as moose poop), and the scat was fairly fresh..so I let out a bugle and a cow call, waited 5 minutes nothing. So I make my way up to another plateau, let out a couple bugles, changing my tone on the second one to sound like a different bull, plus a cow call..and way in the distance, I heard a reply, a bull and must have been 2 or more cows calling back..I quickly climbed the ridgeline that I was on and let out more calls, but no more replies..I tried to pin point the sounds and where they came from. Went to that approximate area the next morning, but had no luck seeing anything or getting any calls back. I know it was not other hunters that called back to me, as there were too many replies at once, but I especially know cause I had not seen any other hunters the entire time I was there, no one except a couple pieces of logging equipment..

Even though I only got the one segment of replies back from the elk, that alone made the whole trip worthwhile to me, and I can't wait to put in a few more days of elk hunting next year, even though I know my chances of harvesting a 6 point are not very high..I now know why that for many elk hunters, it's not about harvesting an elk, it's mostly about just a cool hunt, totally different from hunting deer..

Now I just have to decide next year, do I go back to this area that has less elk than many other areas of the Koots, but had what seemed to me as very little hunting pressure, plus now I know the area a bit...what would you do??

10-04-2014, 11:16 PM
I hunt the low elk population/low hunter pressure areas myself. Most of the time I don't see a dam thing, but when I hear a bugle, I know it's an elk, not a hunter

J_T
10-05-2014, 06:50 AM
I go where and when the opportunities are best. (Case in point I'm glad more hunters don't realize the best hunting is the bow season). Regulations change and one simple change can open up or increase opportunity. For years I hunted the backcountry. If it was raining hunt the timber. If lots of hunters, hunt the harder to get at places. If it was sunny and cold hunt the mid slope to higher country.

When the objective was a reduction of elk in the agricultural areas I moved down and hunted those zones for about four years.

The past 4 years we've been back hunting the backcountry.

I almost exclusively only hunt the 9 day bow season. Doesn't matter high or low. Front country or backcountry. The rut is on. And we have great action every year.

HarryToolips
10-05-2014, 08:18 AM
Good tips thanks JT..I like your thinking 325, that might just be why I go back there next year...

Brez
10-05-2014, 09:20 AM
I go where and when the opportunities are best. (Case in point I'm glad more hunters don't realize the best hunting is the bow season). Regulations change and one simple change can open up or increase opportunity. For years I hunted the backcountry. If it was raining hunt the timber. If lots of hunters, hunt the harder to get at places. If it was sunny and cold hunt the mid slope to higher country.

When the objective was a reduction of elk in the agricultural areas I moved down and hunted those zones for about four years.

The past 4 years we've been back hunting the backcountry.

I almost exclusively only hunt the 9 day bow season. Doesn't matter high or low. Front country or backcountry. The rut is on. And we have great action every year.

Me too! Way more fun and virtually alone in the bush.

J_T
10-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Good tips thanks JT..I like your thinking 325, that might just be why I go back there next year...
I'll offer up another couple of tips. Never hunt the same location more than a couple of times. Hunters often use similar patterns and those elk pattern us way faster than we pattern them.

Stay mobile. Know going in, there will be elk in there. Never be afraid to try somewhere else.

And FYI. I'm aggressive with my calling. In the early season I can bugle and while a bull may not bugle back, they are likely raking some frustration out on a poor bush. I stay on the bugle, mix up the style until I get a hit, then adjust bugling and cow/calf calling until we're reeling him in. If you get a hit, cut the distance in half, as fast as you can. Go straight at em. Worry about the wind when your under 200 yards.

Spy
10-05-2014, 12:07 PM
Good info JT I will second not hunting the the same spot day after day, the elk definitely pattern you lol ? It took me 10 days of pounding an area to work that out ;-). Here is another tip "listen to the experienced elk hunters when they tell you not to hunt the same spot everyday!" Elk are a worthy opponent especially with a bow & it is seriously addicting :-)

HarryToolips
10-05-2014, 12:33 PM
Wicked tips guys...after your in a new area, do you let out a bugle or two and a cow call or just bugle at first?? And after you let out your calls, how long do you usually sit there and wait if you've heard no response? - I've heard of many stories of bull elk coming in silent...if you do get a response, is it always almost instantly, or have you had it several minutes after you've called??

Buckmeister
10-05-2014, 10:16 PM
I have a relative that hunts/guides elk in the east koots. He was saying that if your onto a smaller bull, letting out an aggressive mature sounding bugle often puts the bull on the run as he may think he's about to have his azz kicked. He suggested toning it down a bit.

Fisher-Dude
10-06-2014, 08:33 AM
So I make my way up to another plateau, let out a couple bugles, changing my tone on the second one to sound like a different bull, plus a cow call..and way in the distance, I heard a reply, a bull and must have been 2 or more cows calling back..I quickly climbed the ridgeline that I was on and let out more calls, but no more replies..I tried to pin point the sounds and where they came from. Went to that approximate area the next morning, but had no luck seeing anything or getting any calls back. I know it was not other hunters that called back to me, as there were too many replies at once, but I especially know cause I had not seen any other hunters the entire time I was there, no one except a couple pieces of logging equipment..

I've never had cows and bulls call back together like that. Been calling elk since 1978, so I'm going to rely on that experience to say I would put money on the replies being from another hunter/group of hunters.

I've been set up calling in the middle of nowhere, in spruce/balsam thickets, and had guys come in looking to kill. You'd be surprised where you'll find other hunters out searching for elk just like you are. The elk bug makes people wander far and wide.

A series of bugles and cow calls in response to your calling = 99.99999999% likelihood that it was not elk that were calling back. Still, it sounds like you found a good area, and the fact that others are elk hunting there means it's worth checking out again.

J_T
10-06-2014, 08:54 AM
For me, I listen to the bulls in the area and try to mimmick their sound. Some have a deep guttural sound, others a long high pitch squeal. If you don't sound like one of the brothers in the hood, you aren't going to get the respect your looking for. Some bulls have no whistle at all, just a long moan or a roar. Some have a long single pitched whistle. Sometimes you just want to grunt repeatedly. Or in early season, just thrash some bush.

I always start with 2 or 3 cow calf calls. My rule of thumb is, a calf is always answered by a cow (panic, "Mom, where are you?" calming, "it's ok, just eat your greens"). So I do a calf, cow call in tandem every time. I do this three or four times before and after I bugle.

There are three or four basic bugles, location, territorial, herd control, and the favorite, I've got a cow in estrus and I'm jerking off. (Glunking) The location bugle is quite short, very little grunting, up and down. Just letting the cows know where I am. When the cows decide to get up and move, there is always a lot of chatter. When they are sifting through the forest, there is a lot of calf talk.

I have a very quiet calf call I keep in my hand and I use it as I move through the bush. Doesn't hurt to grab grass and some favourable bush as you stop and make it sound like you are like they are, just feeding through.

If I'm glassing in the evening and I spot elk, I'm banking on the fact, that's almost exactly where they'll be first thing in the morning. (Give or take a little) So in the morning I get in close, do some cow calling, some calf calling. Not too much. But there is a time as the dawn awakens, that a bull just has to bugle. Thinking first a bull might be close I might start off with some 'monkey chuckle' (sounds like a monkey and an owl) just in case there is a bull right in the immediate area. If you try a bugle and don't get a response, wait 5 minutes and try a different kind of bugle. Location bugle is a good start. Just quick and short. As you start to make more cow calls, a bull will typically use a bigger bugle to control his herd and keep them moving in the direction he wants, so don't hesitate to go loud and long with a bugle.

I've experimented with heavy bugles from the gut and just high pitched squeals. It's very difficult to judge a bull by his bugle. So I have found the theory of 'what is a big bugle that might scare them off' is not all that accurate. What is accurate, is you scare them off if you are too agressive. Doesn't mean big, just means too much deep or territorial grunting at the end. I have found if I start off going straight in to the high pitch whistle I might not get a response in the immediate area. But if I start with a bit more growl and then a two tone whistle followed by heavy chuckle, I can get an answer from anywhere. I'm not a threat to a bull that is at a safe distance. So they don't mind telling me where they are.

Lastly, if you have a bull and he's moving away from you. Chase him. THIS is the most fun. Get on after him. Stay with him. If he doesn't bugle, don't let that stop you from bugling. Let him know you're coming. Keep it going. Lots of cow calls, crazy estrus calls. There are no bad sounds. Keep pushing him. Eventually, he will turn. Get your pack off, get your GPS in your pocket and get ready, they move on the mist, and come in quick. Pay attention to the wind. He will manouver to have the wind in his favour.

That's all for now.

HarryToolips
10-06-2014, 12:41 PM
Wicked tips guys: FD - you very well could be right, but like I said, I saw no other vehicles anywhere, and there were a limited amount of roads, and my buddy and I drove them when we were back at our vehicle looking to get closer to where the sound came from - no other vehicle was around even remotely close..

JT - wicked advice dude, I'm going to practice that stuff, lol except I'll be pulling out my compass, as I refuse to use a GPS:-D

J_T
10-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Perhaps as a bowhunter I'm in closer and can hear more. I find when I'm with the herd and I bugle, the cows definitely squawk. Keep in mind, the type of bugle makes a difference to whether cows mew or not. And there is that moment a bull bugles because cows start moving about and he doesn't want to lose them. When cows start to move they talk.

Ourea
10-06-2014, 04:33 PM
For guys that haven't spent a lot of time around and on elk they can be somewhat overwhelmed just how vocal of an animal they are. Cows can be quite vocal when on the move, especially at dark. The below video link off one of my cams is a great example. Bulls respond to cows communicating so common sense would say you will hear bulls and cows at the same time. It's simply elk being elk as they are a highly vocal species.
Turn your speakers up......

http://vid1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/browndog100/cowschirping_zpsa53db8cd.mp4

adriaticum
10-06-2014, 04:38 PM
For guys that haven't spent a lot of time around and on elk they can be somewhat overwhelmed just how vocal of an animal they are. Cows can be quite vocal when on the move, especially at dark. The below video link off one of my cams is a great example. Bulls respond to cows communicating so common sense would say you will hear bulls and cows at the same time. It's simply elk being elk as they are a highly vocal species.
Turn your speakers up......

http://vid1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/browndog100/cowschirping_zpsa53db8cd.mp4

Great video there.
It surprising that they are so vocal considering that everything around them wants to eat them.

HarryToolips
10-06-2014, 07:06 PM
LOL cmon now enough derogatory comments toward that negative old man lol...hey, we all got our issues...wicked vid JT thanks for sharing..basically if were not finding elk sign/ hearing any vocalizations, I should be moving around til I find that sign/vocalizations is the gist of what your all saying...

Ourea
10-06-2014, 08:32 PM
I see some negative comments on this thread and some people taking exception.

A thought.....

It would be nice to see more people understand and respect that HBC is a place that a good portion of hunters come to share in their passion and interest in "our" sport. More and more are being marginalized do to negativity and personal attack. Wrong way to try and build something whether it be a product, a brand, a sport, or a website.
In no way am I singling out any one individual. It's the toxic attitude/culture I take exception to.

All of us should have the same objective on this site.

Draw people in and build our sport.
Don't push them away.
Support those that share...encourage others to do so.
Make youth feel welcome and encourage their voice.

How are you perceived in making an effort when it comes to growing the sport of hunting?.
If the day remembers you as making a positive effort ur on the right path....all prosper.
If the day remembers you as being undermining and petty.....you only bring down those around you.

Simple choice.
Make the right one.

HarryToolips
10-06-2014, 08:38 PM
basically if were not finding elk sign/ hearing any vocalizations, I should be moving around til I find that sign/vocalizations is the gist of what your all saying...

So pro elk dudes: am I on the right path here?? Or do you just find an area that has older sign that looks like a promising area, and sit for a while?

Spy
10-06-2014, 08:40 PM
I see some negative comments on this thread and some people taking exception.

A thought.....

It would be nice to see more people understand and respect that HBC is a place that a good portion of hunters come to share in their passion and interest in "our" sport. More and more are being marginalized do to negativity and personal attack. Wrong way to try and build something whether it be a product, a brand, a sport, or a website.
In no way am I singling out any one individual. It's the toxic attitude/culture I take exception to.

All of us should have the same objective on this site.

Draw people in and build our sport.
Don't push them away.
Support those that share...encourage others to do so.
Make youth feel welcome and encourage their voice.

How are you perceived in making an effort when it comes to growing the sport of hunting?.
If the day remembers you as making a positive effort ur on the right path....all prosper.
If the day remembers you as being undermining and petty.....you only bring down those around you.

Simple choice.
Make the right one.
x2 absolutely correct :-)

Ourea
10-06-2014, 08:45 PM
So pro elk dudes: am I on the right path here?? Or do you just find an area that has older sign that looks like a promising area, and sit for a while?

Learn to identify elk habitat.
Scouting starts with looking for key habitat, not elk.
The more removed those areas are from pressure the better.
If you hunt for habitat first, opposed to just pushing bush, elk become easy to find.

Whonnock Boy
10-06-2014, 09:10 PM
Ok, enough of the bs.

I wish this thread popped up a week ago. I just returned yesterday from the koots and was in tight with some bulls. My biggest failing was my inexperience with what to do to get them in for a visual. How do I call, what call, cow or bull call, hold tight, advance, among countless decisions that make or break the hunt.

"If I'm glassing in the evening and I spot elk, I'm banking on the fact, that's almost exactly where they'll be first thing in the morning." This would have been good info as well. Although I do believe I was duped by a distant bull who I believed at that time was the bull I heard the night before. I walked right into the herd and bull from the previous night. I was somewhat busted but, it was just breaking daylight and I was hopeful they did not see me at least. I was however successful in calling in, what must have been the most dimwitted ******ed calf in all of the Koots to 15 feet. lol A cow had passed at 40 yards as well. It was small psychological battle I won with elk hunting. By the way, he was a 7 point as I had spotted him at 800 yards the first time.

Another question is how does one tackle elk solo versus hunting in pairs or a trio? Can hunting solo be as effective as in a group?

Countless questions that no doubt will consume me until my next elk hunt. It's a rush, and they keep calling me back, literally. They are an awesome animal to hunt, and the eating ain't so bad either. :wink:

Whonnock Boy
10-06-2014, 09:21 PM
BTW... Thanks for the little bit of info already posted here.

Spy
10-06-2014, 09:40 PM
I had two calves come right up to my treestand last year I also thought I had called them in ;-) Turns out they were sent up the hill by the boss to check things out. They reported that they had found some dumbass sitting in a tree with a cow call in his mouth ;-). I have got the greatest respect for elk they are super intelligent even the young ones!

J_T
10-07-2014, 06:41 AM
Ok, enough of the bs.

Another question is how does one tackle elk solo versus hunting in pairs or a trio? Can hunting solo be as effective as in a group?

Countless questions that no doubt will consume me until my next elk hunt. It's a rush, and they keep calling me back, literally. They are an awesome animal to hunt, and the eating ain't so bad either. :wink:

A good question. After my hunting partners head home I do head out and hunt elk solo. In many ways, I'm not as aggressive or committed as I am with another guy, or two guys. I find I'm more, learning, playing and exploring new ground in ready for next year. My biggest concern about solo elk hunting is extraction. It's a lot of work solo. Having said that, I friend of mine ( a member on here) took a nice 8x6 bull this year solo. Another buddy of mine took a bull elk with his bow last year on the last day. In his 50's, he packed that thing out in two trips.... almost. First load went fine, part way down he had to stop go get his saw and quarter the front. We hunt with radios/GPS, and if one team takes down an elk, we can eventually make contact with 2 other guys to assist.

We all talk about getting away from other hunters is to get away from the roads, or hike hike hike. When you hunt elk, you hunt them where they are. You don't go climb ridges and mountains just because. You're not out there to get away from people, your out there to find elk. And so is everyone else. So you will bump in to people. And sometimes, that sucks and you feel it blows a hunt. Having to back out of a plan because someone else beat you there happens a lot. You live with it, and you know there is another spot, another herd, just like this, somewhere else. But the other reason you want to be careful is for extraction. If you are up and over that next mtn because you want to be alone, you are at risk in so many ways bringing down a big animal.

Every time someone on here comments about not being afraid to wear out boot leather, I just think there's a deer hunter. Because if you hunt elk, you do need to think about how far back you are. And, this supports the whole access discussion that we have on here so frequently. With lots of roads, great new ATV's and SxS's, more elk will die. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Just a fact. Access kills.

The approach with 1, 2, or 3 hunters is different for sure. If I'm chasing with 1 other guy, I try to keep one hunter about 50 yards in front. If I'm chasing, I'm going as fast as I can. (As I've aged, my pace is slower for sure) Follow the same path. Once you are in close, pay attention to the terrain and wind and make sure both hunters are in a likely position. If I'm hunting with 2 guys, same approach, one guy calling from about 50 yards back as you move through the bush. If the bull looks like he's going to come in, I like to set up in a bit of a "V" if it's possible. But it really depends on the wind and the terrain.

Hunting solo, I call and if he's within 100 yards I want to quickly/quietly move 30 yards to the side and stop. The elk have such an ability to hone in on your location. I want him focused somewhere I'm not.

J_T
10-07-2014, 10:20 AM
LOL cmon now enough derogatory comments toward that negative old man lol...hey, we all got our issues...wicked vid JT thanks for sharing..basically if were not finding elk sign/ hearing any vocalizations, I should be moving around til I find that sign/vocalizations is the gist of what your all saying... If I'm in an area that holds elk, I walk until I come across fresh sign. Fresh track, trails and grasses that are freshly packed down, bush that's been nibbled on and fresh poop. I also hope to find bedding areas in my hiking. I don't expect to be walking along and hear cows mewing. If I stop and present a calf call, I will listen for a response.

The Hermit
10-07-2014, 12:51 PM
More tips...

Chase in the morning and sit in the evening. If you can sneak into a treestand along their route to/from the bedding area your odds go up.

If you have the luxury of time in location get your area set up in June: treestand up, salt in place, clean quiet trail in and figure out your extraction routes anticipating where, in the perfect world, the elk might die.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction! :-)

Fisher-Dude
10-07-2014, 01:35 PM
More tips...

Chase in the morning and sit in the evening. If you can sneak into a treestand along their route to/from the bedding area your odds go up.

If you have the luxury of time in location get your area set up in June: treestand up, salt in place, clean quiet trail in and figure out your extraction routes anticipating where, in the perfect world, the elk might die.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction! :-)

Another good tip: don't spend all your elk hunting time sitting in Cranbrook at Starbucks and getting oily rub'n'tugs at the local massage parlour. RIGHT, Hermie?

The Hermit
10-07-2014, 02:00 PM
A hahaha Pat you know me so well! LOL Be the elk! Monkey chuckle!