PDA

View Full Version : Moose butchering

daywalker
10-03-2014, 10:49 PM
I am wondering if anyone has cut up a moose and found slime on the meat? I believe this is when the meat is starting to break down. I am wondering if this is still ok. the meat does not look green or anything like that. First time butchering a animal myself. I shot it on a wensday and it was hanging for about 2 days in the FSJ area. Any thoughts. I have one more quarter left to cut up.

high and to the right
10-03-2014, 11:20 PM
When I first started hunting and was in the learning phase I had a moose begin to get fuzzy on the outside after it had been hanging in camp in damp weather. I 're-skinned the outside meat off the quarters and the meat inside was the most tender and best tasting meat you could want. The reason you can eat a steak rare is because the outside of the steak with all the bacteria is cooked and the inside stays protected, even if the inside is not fully cooked. Trim off the outside of the meat if you have any questions about its safety, smell the inside meat and it should be as fresh as the day you shot it - except more tender.

Liveforthehunt
10-04-2014, 12:31 AM
Yes exactly could of been from moisture if you didn't have it covered inside ? When in doubt give it a smell and you will know if any of the last quarter is bad .... Sour smell maybe or bad meat smell but 2 day if the weather was cool you shouldn't have any problems as long as the rain didn't pound it

M.Dean
10-04-2014, 04:28 AM
We hang our meat any where from 4 to 5 days to 2 weeks, and yes it will mold some times. All's I've ever done is wipe the entire quarters down with water and vinegar, dry it good, then cut it up in the next few days, haven't died yet! Also, I think the best way to tell if the meats OK is to cook a piece up, if it's bad, you'll smell it, and taste it! With yours, I'd wipe it down with vinegar, dry it, then try it, I'll bet it's just fine.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-04-2014, 05:40 AM
You can't eat a steak rare?

As mentioned above, trim everything exposed to air and toss it. Don't put it into your trim/burger pile.

I do this with all my meat. Also had a deer grove some fuzz hanging in my garage in December in damp rainy weather. Everything was fine once trimmed.

SSS

stinkyduck
10-04-2014, 06:15 PM
Ive seen slimey meat before, and smelt some pretty rotten meat, from people that hung meat with no air circulation around!!! the most important thing is to put a fan close to the meat and dry it out! also talking to butchers, meat from moose around the neck and the big bones on the back legs could spoil in three hours if you dont get the meat cooled down, and skin off!!