PDA

View Full Version : Muley Hunt around Douglas Lake? ideas?

bcfirefly
10-03-2014, 11:02 AM
Taking a bit of a gamble by posting I am sure as this area is a bit contentious but have a weekend pass to hunt Douglas Lake Private Lands. I used to live over that way but that was before I got into hunting and now where I live I just hunt Whitetails. Mulies are new to me. doing research on the how to's so more looking for general areas. will they be in the large grasslands or more in the timber and ridges?
Anyone ever hunted this area? I am going with some guys who know the area but thought I'd try to contribute some ideas.

ducktoller
10-03-2014, 11:52 AM
Taking a bit of a gamble by posting I am sure as this area is a bit contentious but have a weekend pass to hunt Douglas Lake Private Lands. I used to live over that way but that was before I got into hunting and now where I live I just hunt Whitetails. Mulies are new to me. doing research on the how to's so more looking for general areas. will they be in the large grasslands or more in the timber and ridges?
Anyone ever hunted this area? I am going with some guys who know the area but thought I'd try to contribute some ideas.

I'm under the impression that few hunters, fishers, and Fn are fans of the Douglas lake ranch

Quince
10-03-2014, 12:28 PM
With no pressure on the deer there you should have some good pickin's. I usually hunt south of there on the connector and have seen lots of mulies wandering.... Wish i had access to DLR

RebuiltMosin
10-03-2014, 01:11 PM
I'm under the impression that few hunters, fishers, and Fn are fans of the Douglas lake ranch
Fans why wouldn't we be fans since they bought quilchena and kicked us all off it during hunting season :p

Steelie64
10-03-2014, 02:51 PM
Agreed! not a fan. The Walmart family are trying to buy the whole valley..............beware!

hawkdog
10-03-2014, 03:18 PM
Depends where you go on the Ranch. There can be heavy pressure - mostly from First ations and poachers.

Hunt the draws and tree islands/ridges just below the heavy timber - you will see lots of whitetail as well as mulies.

4 point
10-03-2014, 03:27 PM
It's my understanding that their whole ranch (deeded land) is off limits to folks without a pass. I have seen many a giant muley on the edges of their land (north side) many in the open . Their under no pressure and folks that trespass get chased out by roving patrols of cowboys. Shot one with out authorization I don't know what would happen to oneself. You should do well with your ok to hunt. Post pictures after the hunt please.

hawkdog
10-03-2014, 03:31 PM
It's my understanding that their whole ranch (deeded land) is off limits to folks without a pass. I have seen many a giant muley on the edges of their land (north side) many in the open . Their under no pressure and folks that trespass get chased out by roving patrols of cowboys. Shot one with out authorization I don't know what would happen to oneself. You should do well with your ok to hunt. Post pictures after the hunt please.

Its off limits - except the lower nicola band has access and they bring in their buddies. there are always people sneaking in - I know a few of those roaming cowboys.

Fred1
10-03-2014, 03:49 PM
Bring a whitetail tag....

Liveforthehunt
10-03-2014, 04:07 PM
I have hunted a couple ranches with permission across the road some big deer in that country and as was said very little pressure shouldn't have much problem

M.Dean
10-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Mule Deer are way easier to shoot than White Tails, Mulies will stop a lot of times, ass towards you, and crank there necks to see what your doing, then, Bang, shot in the neck and the work starts! Whities run like bloody Coyotes, and very seldom stop to see what your doing. I've had to "Lead" a few over the years, wait for a open spot and fire just a touch a head of them, I've taken a few that stood still, but not to many. Good Luck, and lets see some pictures when you get back!

Jedcote50
10-03-2014, 05:15 PM
I worked for them a few years back (in the 90's) as their "Gilly" at Stoney Lake Lodge until I became disillusioned with all the politics, back stabbing and the pompous attitude of big Joe Gardner. Sure there are big mulies and whities there but they're no different then anywhere else, they get shot at just as much by the cow hands and other chosen friends of the people in power. They don't care to recognize the GOS regs like we have to, they call it "pest management" and have been known to shoot what they want when they want.The biggest difference you'll notice is the definite absence of ATV's, they wanted everyone to use horses when off road. I now hunt the upper portions and fringes of public accessible lands, especially the areas that Chunky loved to go, you have to know where the real line of private property is or the cowpokes will try to bully you around. Some of them still think that the deer and moose eat up all the grass that their precious cows process into methane and fertilizer.
The migration of mulies (and open range whitetails) will be starting soon and you'll just have to find where the does are gathering to find the bucks, just like the rest of us poor *******s out in the real world.
The one animal that does real well on the ranch is Black bears, they thrive on the alfalfa and the open pit garbage dump just south of the home ranch.
If you're hunting from the seat of your truck just wait a couple more weeks until the snow flies and the rut starts to wind up, then you should be able to put one on the ground.

264mag
10-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Since when can you get a weekend password access to DLR land?

bpeters
10-03-2014, 08:41 PM
near the ranch I once saw a nice 5x5 whitey driving down the connector around 60 yards off the highway , they are in the area so bring a wt tag...