PDA

View Full Version : Exploring B.C. -- Mulies oh my

VFX_man
10-02-2014, 11:15 PM
Howdy Ya'll . . . that's how I grew up greeting people in the Southwest Missouri Ozark's. :)

As destiny would have it, in a round about way via a 25 year detour in anti-fornia (California), I'm back in a land of hunters. You've got some incredible beauty up here for sure and the two years I've been here have flown!

Anyway, being on the north side of 50, I'm just now getting back into the hunt. A friend of mine has invited me along on his moose draw hunt in the Kamloops Lake area. And I'll be slumming along with a Mulie Tag in tow. He's pulled moose and deer out of that area over the years, so he knows the territory.

Now growing up hunting in Whitetail country, the mythical Mule deer was always the exotic and unknown to me.

I started shooting at age 5, so I know which end to point where, but have no clue how you ladies and gents hunt up here for Mulies.

SW Missouri is pretty thick brush were you can't see 5 feet in front of your face in areas. We tended to go up -- into a tree-stand to expand our FOV and developed a keen sense of hearing.

Any hints and guidance would be most appreciated. I'll be hanging out in the (guessing) packed M.U. 3-29 area, but could be in any of the near M.U.'s as well.

Not asking for your secret spots, just some friendly information.

Cheers, M

wrenchhead
10-02-2014, 11:44 PM
3-29 holds some excellent mulies. My preferred method is hiking away from the roads and still hunting the open fir ridges in that country. Keep the wind in your face and your bound to see game.

itsy bitsy xj
10-03-2014, 02:25 AM
Welcome to the best place on earth! Sorry no great advise on the Reg 3 mullies, but good luck on your hunt

ruger#1
10-03-2014, 02:56 AM
Use a doe bleat and watch open clearings. I find the buck in that area, as soon as they spot you they hide their head behind a tree or Bush. I have also rattled them to me. If you can get above an alfalfa field would be best. Watch drainages also. Have fun and do a lot at spotting with th binos.

M.Dean
10-03-2014, 05:25 AM
I'm in 3-27, and I'm a firm believer in "Quad and Stock"! I hit all the good spots at first hint of day light on my Quad, I then glass the critters, and if I see one that looks like it'll get me in the B&C record book, I shoot it, real simple! I just haven't got one yet that big??? Not sure what I'm doing wrong here? From the sounds of it, your hunting buddy knows what to do, stick close to him and when he say's" Shoot, Shoot"!!! Good Luck, and welcome to HBC!

Kami
10-03-2014, 06:47 AM
Do you live in the Kamloops area VFX Man? Tons and tons of good hunting areas in all directions around Kamloops. Any buck right now, you should be able to drop one if you aren't picky.

RoscoeP
10-03-2014, 06:56 AM
Lots of clear cut areas so do more looking with your binos than walking. I usually, once I find a good area with lots of deer sign sit on a vantage point the first couple of hours in the morning and the last couple in the day. During the day I will do some walking or driving looking for more good places to sit. Good luck, Cheers Roscoe

Philcott
10-03-2014, 07:03 AM
One thing you'll notice is the mule deer, though skiddish, will usually give you a bit more time for a shot than whitetails will. Also, often they will run a couple hundred yards, stop and have a look back. Unlike whitetails that run to the next valley before stopping.

Good luck with your hunt.

300win
10-03-2014, 07:37 AM
Gang Ranch and area; have a good pair of binos, welcome to hunting paradise and good luck

6pt_elk_wannabe
10-03-2014, 08:54 PM
In your area the best thing to do is hunt clear cuts. When you see one when driving in the truck or on the quad stop and glass for 5 or 10 minutes. I wouldn't bother hiking it unless it's off a side road or hidden from a road, some of the best cuts are the ones that have either a thick patch of timber blocking it from the road or a hill or something blocking the view of the road. Gulleys and rolling hills are sweet spots too. Another productive method is going for a walk 50 feet or so inside the timber that's at the edge of a cut. Just walk the perimeter. If there's alot of Christmas trees that make the bush too thick to see anything before it sees/hears you then just walk the edge of it at first light when they're feeding on the edges of the tree line. Good luck, you're in some great hunting country.

VFX_man
10-16-2014, 08:43 AM
Thanks everyone. Recap story to come :(

-M