PDA

View Full Version : Calamity of Errors

Sylus
10-02-2014, 09:48 PM
Hello All,

Well the title is about as accurate as a description for my hunting efforts last weekend as I could think of.

Me and my buddy departed the lower mainland last Friday afternoon with the plan of hunting the south side of the coquihala so as to take advantage of the any-buck season in region 2. We got around 20 km down an fsr which we had picked out on google earth to find that the road had been wiped out by a slide and is only passable to quads now. Queue plan B. We hopped back on the coquihalla and headed up to the next exit (portia), only to find that the road serviced from that exit (old coqihalla road) is gated due to that pipeline twinning project, groovy. Queue plan C, or perhaps plan I cause it was all improvised from this point on! We hopped back on the coq and took the coquihalla lakes exit with the plan of hunting the tulameen area. We camped the night at murphy lake but not before a dinner of cambell's chunky, cooked in the can because the pot was forgot at home.

Up the next morning at 5 we hiked in to a older cut-block and sat ourselves down at the base of a big doug fur and sat the morning in complete silence as the sun rose. We stayed like that until 8:30 ish until another hunter showed up and had a coughing fit violent enough to register on the Richter scale. After that we departed from the cut-block and explored the surrounding area on foot. As the day wore on we found another older cut block and a very old road servicing it that was just rife with deer tracks. One set seemed like they were made earlier that morning (the ground around the track was dry but inside the track the dirt was still wet). This set of tracks was especially interesting as the lobes of the hoof were very splayed, giving the track a 'V' like shape. According to field and stream that can be indicative of a buck's track, so we were interested. We decided that would be the spot we would sit on Sunday morning.

We shifted gears in the afternoon and i spent most of it wailing on a rabbit-in-distress call as we both had bear tags (far away from where we saw the buck track). This produced no bears, only some bloodshot eyes for me due to the unacceptable cranial pressure produced by running one of those things for any amount of time.

We then set off in my buddies truck in search of a promising spot to sit for the afternoon as dusk settled. We ended up on this seriously overgrown road and were in the process of giving his truck a great set of BC pinstripes when disaster struck. A very large tree had fallen on the side of the road and was perfectly camouflaged by the alders crowding the roadway. We impacted the tree square on with the right front tire and stopped the truck dead. Once the dust had settled and the damage had been assessed we determined that the right sway bar link had been severed in the collision the wheels had been knocked out of alignment. So badly so that the steering wheel had to be a full quarter turn to the left to make the truck drive straight. We decided it would be best just to drive the truck home immediately and headed back to town the Saturday night.

So this trip left me with a few questions i was hoping somebody on here could help me out with. They are as follows:

What are the chances that track was actually that of bucks and was my method of determining it's freshness sound?

How effective is using a rabbit in distress call on black bears?

Was that 'old coquihalla road' ever open for public travel?

And finally, why don't some of you share your best stories of backroads damage to you or your friends vehicles? I figure there has to be some good ones out there. :cool:

Hope you guys got some laughs out of my story, and any help will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Sylus

The Hermit
10-02-2014, 09:56 PM
Ha thanks for posting, that gave me a couple chuckles remembering a few similar trips I've been on... better luck next time! You could always go back to the spot where you found the track and check the timber off the road a ways looking for rubs, shit, and of course recently used trails... set up on a well used trail an hour before sun up and wait quietly! BTW - did your boots leave wet impressions?

Fella
10-02-2014, 10:14 PM
Man that blows, sorry to hear about the truck! As far as rabbit in distress for bear, I've had mixed results, and to
be honest Im not sure why it works for some and causes others to walk away.

markomoose
10-03-2014, 02:04 AM
Oh man thats s******.We had an axle stub snap completely off at Nulki Lake.We had drove all night from LML.We had 2 vehicles so our buddies drive back to Vanderhoof.No luck.Drove back to PG found an axle.Meanwhile we sat in front of the Nulki ranch.We met the rancher & his wife who asked if they could help.Nice people.Then the C.O. showed up and gave us the third degree until he saw we were f***** " Lotsa poachers out here shooting geese on private property" Yeah we got bigger problems there fella.8 hours later our buddies show up with a new axle.This whole episode started at 7 am.We had the axle installed in less than 40 minutes and made it to our hunting spot at midnight.That was a long day.We got 2 moose on that trip.Sometimes when s*** goes wrong is when you have the best luck. Cheers Mark

RebuiltMosin
10-03-2014, 02:18 AM
Ouch that puts my muffler shredding on the tulameen fsr to shame.... I think I know both the roads on south side of coq you mentioned kinda didn't work out that wash out was there couple years ago (well that's when I found it anyways) and I've been running the coq 7 years for work and can't recall ever seeing the gate by Portia open?

M.Dean
10-03-2014, 05:46 AM
Me and a buddy were up Pink Mnt way years ago, we were camped up the 171 Rd. Very few Moose in the first 4 or 5 days, so we took my truck and a Quad up the highway to the Bucking Horse River Rd, we were about as far as you could get up there when I went to turn around and head it back to our camp. I hit reverse and started to back up a bit of a hill when "Bang", something blew in the rear diff! I jumped out and looked, and the rear diff cover had a bit hole in it where the crown and pinion gears flew through it! Oh Shit! What to do now? I limped the truck all the way back down the Mnt, hit the hiway, real slow, and pulled over at the first gas station we came to! I added some 80/90 gear oil and watched it run out the hole, then back on the highway to Pink Mnt store. There I pulled the diff cover off, cleaned out the broken gears from the bottom of the diff, chiseled out the half broken pieces of gears then I cleaned the cover with camp fuel for the stove real good, mixed up some JB Weld and smeared it on the hole and drove back up the 171 to pack up and try to get home! We got as far as the South side of Quesnel when the whole rear end piled up, What a noise"! I had to phone my Son in Kamloops to drive up here to a friends place, get a crown and pinion and drive it to me in Quesnel! Took a few days to get home, but nobody got hurt!!!

Kami
10-03-2014, 06:40 AM
Yup hunting calamity. It can be like that. It ain't for the weak. We all have stories like that. This is why we have made up names on here.
Reminds me of a story.

I remember a few years ago heading back to town on a FSR in late Nov. It was -18 cel on my truck thermometer. Was about 10 pm.
I came up on a dark vehicle and some guys mulling around with a flash light. Light batteries just about done completely. I stopped. They were
hammered and had a flat front tire. They were laying under the truck trying like hell to figure out how to get the spare down with the factory
tool. They had too little clothing on for the temperature. They told me they had been there over an hour trying to get the spare down, and were now
low on fuel from extended idling time, staying warm in the truck. They were on a day trip from the LML, hunting. I chuckled. They had seen a
few deer, a decent buck but could not find their clip quick enough. Had plenty of beer and Subway sandwiches all day. They went home
with nothing, but good times. It was clearly hunting calamity at it best. I gave them a hand, knew how to work the spare tire tool. It actually isn't hard
when you are sober. Got 'em going pointed in the right direction. They were sure glad someone stopped to assist.

brian
10-03-2014, 07:31 AM
I am by no means an expert tracker but here is what I do know. Splayed track could mean a front heavy buck or a large doe. It also could be the product of a deer that's running or jumping. It puts the odds in your favor that it was a buck, but it is not enough to be determinant on its own. As for aging the track, it really helps to know the last few days weather. That way you can guess how well preserved a track could/should be. Noticing any differences between the track and surroundings is important like you did with moisture in the track. The first thing I do when I find something I think is fresh is get right down and see if the sheen is different. Then I push my knuckle into the ground next to it and see if it produces the same effect. The crispness of the edges in comparison with my knuckle track will usually be a good gauge as to how fresh the track is. In your case if pushing your knuckle in the ground produced the same moisture at the base of track, and the track was crisp edged then I would say it was smoking fresh. It wouldn't take long for that ground to dry out (depending on the day of course). That would immediately peak my interest. What I suspect is that you found an area where they were browsing the night/morning before. Very promising.

Sylus
10-03-2014, 08:57 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys! I got some good chuckles out of your stories.

I gave them a hand, knew how to work the spare tire tool. It actually isn't hard
when you are sober.

I was on the side of the hwy 3 once trying to get a spare down, was not getting anywhere until a snowplow driver stopped and showed me the trick. Who knew I would have to crank it all the way up first? :confused:

I am by no means an expert tracker but here is what I do know. Splayed track could mean a front heavy buck or a large doe. It also could be the product of a deer that's running or jumping. It puts the odds in your favor that it was a buck, but it is not enough to be determinant on its own. As for aging the track, it really helps to know the last few days weather. That way you can guess how well preserved a track could/should be. Noticing any differences between the track and surroundings is important like you did with moisture in the track. The first thing I do when I find something I think is fresh is get right down and see if the sheen is different. Then I push my knuckle into the ground next to it and see if it produces the same effect. The crispness of the edges in comparison with my knuckle track will usually be a good gauge as to how fresh the track is. In your case if pushing your knuckle in the ground produced the same moisture at the base of track, and the track was crisp edged then I would say it was smoking fresh. It wouldn't take long for that ground to dry out (depending on the day of course). That would immediately peak my interest. What I suspect is that you found an area where they were browsing the night/morning before. Very promising.

Thanks for the tips!! I will be sure to give that method a try next time I come up on a track like that.

As far as rabbit in distress for bear, I've had mixed results, and to
be honest Im not sure why it works for some and causes others to walk away.

Interesting, I would think it would be a good method with the bears trying load up for winter. Only managed to call in some ravens though.

Chody
10-03-2014, 09:47 AM
when it looks like the road widens, it doesnt mean that it is all road. this fsr was plowed (which filled the ditch) then it snowed again.

5 hours to get out
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h180/chodygt/e9f91ab5.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h180/chodygt/981c9e0a.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h180/chodygt/388b610a.jpg

Drillbit
10-03-2014, 09:47 AM
I've hit a few bull-holes in the pastures and have done some damage. You don't see them skimming through a foot of snow @ 50mph

Smashed a front bumper a few years ago.

Last year hit so hard it knocked the front end out of alignment. Had to turn half a turn left to go straight. This started fooling the steering wheel position sensor and had all sort of bells ringing. Ate a tire off on the drive home.

gunpower
10-03-2014, 10:30 AM
It's a Ford, no wonder it took 5 hours. LOL . Been there done that and moved on!!

Wentrot
10-03-2014, 06:01 PM
Welcome to my world. When it rains boy, she frickin pours!

Rhyno
10-03-2014, 06:10 PM
If you want a series of unfortunate events, look up my Gong Show Goats post from last year, I feel your pain!

ruger#1
10-03-2014, 06:16 PM
Going up an old logging road with my old truck. Stopped to look at something. Started to leave and had no power. Front tie rod fell off. No one could pass. The tow truck came. He got a flat tire. The guy that bought up a new tire. Well he was drinking and bought the wrong tire up. We broke down at 10am and got out at 1am. It was a total cluster f.

Dutch
10-03-2014, 06:21 PM
About 5 years ago turned left just before spuzzum up that access road as in the 90"s before the logging was crazy got 2 nice 3 points out of there,so stopped for a leak went over to the side by a stump looked up and there was 7 ft of green eyed cat looking back, and he wasn't running but i was sure pissing, long jump to the cab ,but he sauntered off haven't been back and thankful I had # 2d BEFORE I left that morning uncle was with me he laughed all the way home ...

HarryToolips
10-03-2014, 09:43 PM
-as previously stated, alot of the track freshness must be determined by what the weather has been..alot of time you see a nice print of a dew claw and think it's a buck, though I've seen big does leave dew claw impressions..
-never tried the rabbit in distress call, but have heard that in the fall when the bears have stored a good quantity of fats and energy from the berry season, it can be effective, though you have to really be ready to blast..

Past crappy bush luck: last year, Sept 29, saw a nice 4 point each side muley with a nice spread, put a stalk on him, got to within 60 yards, but he wouldn't give me a shooting lane..the next morning I head up to try and see if he'll be back, and I roll my SUV on the highway by hitting a bridge that was icy in the early morning.. unscathed at a 100 clicks an hour though so I'll count my blessings..

I buy a new SUV 2 weeks later ready to finally go hunting again, get waay up in the middle of nowhere, and my fuel pump dies....lol took all day to get ahold of my buddy and get towed..