PDA

View Full Version : Hunting lillooet

MEATEATER
10-01-2014, 10:12 PM
Hey guys and gals what's the hunting up around lillooet like around mid October ? I was thinking of taking my son merrit way but looking at the regs immature moose open the day after we would get there so I'm thinking maybe heading up lillooet way instead. Are the deer all still up high that time of year ? Should I be buying a whitetail tag ? I will probably buy a tag for whitetail and moose regardless just in case just trying to put some feelers out there to see what I'm up against. We will be tenting it we have all the gear. It will be my brother myself and my son it should be a lot of fun regardless the outcome on animals :) we have been looking at google earth lots but any help or tips would be great .

Cheers

smeegle
10-01-2014, 10:43 PM
There are deer up there but they will be high up from my experience and you will need to be in good shape to do so. If you want to access them be prepared to hike steep steep terrain, bring good boots with ankle support and dress in layers as mother nature loves to mess with people!

juiceterboost
10-02-2014, 11:38 AM
around Lillooet there are a few smaller deer hanging around down low. but as smeegle said the good bucks will be up high its been a warm fall and with no inclimate weather to push the deer down they are still holding quite high. as for the immature bulls I can wish you nothing but luck they are few and far between.

Wild one
10-02-2014, 01:07 PM
Mule deer have not seen WT good black bear numbers. Big bucks are where you find them not all are up high it all depends on where you hunt. Not a good road hunting area so lace up your boots country is steep. My advice is hike up or hike down and bring a good pack board

Deer are not everywhere more so in pockets

nature girl
10-02-2014, 01:58 PM
Definately be prepared for the weather. Two years ago it was so hot and last year I froze my ass off. And yes Lillooet can be steep so bring a good walking stick. Good luck hunting.

swampthing
10-02-2014, 05:40 PM
I have quite a few years in Lillooet hunting and my opinion is the bucks wont be high. I always find them at treeline sept 1st but have never had luck up high there in oct. In the timber I guess? Makes them harder to find. The staging for the rut will be starting and rattling always works best in October. I wanted to hit Lillooet this year but never made it. Have fun.

MEATEATER
10-02-2014, 07:37 PM
Thanks guys I will be doing lots of glassing I have found a few spots on google earth that give great vantage points and have gotten a couple PM's from members so I'm hoping I can make something happen. Just having my brother and son out hunting for a few days will be good and exploring some new country.

Cheers

markomoose
10-03-2014, 02:24 AM
Have fun MEATEATER!Thats what its all about especially with family.Getting an animal is a bonus.

ruger#1
10-03-2014, 02:48 AM
Upper hat creek is also a good place for mulies. A few whitetails. As for moose. I have only found sheds. Never seen a moose. Good luck and have fun.

bowmagnum
10-03-2014, 11:33 AM
Swampthing. Do you really rattle in October. Do you rake trees and grunt as well? I have heard about staging areas but I can't say I've ever really identified an area where this occurs. Are staging areas lower points on mountains on routes toward wintering grounds?

HarryToolips
10-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Wicked bull man way to go!

markomoose
10-03-2014, 01:50 PM
Hey Harry me's thinking you are on the wrong thread.Just saying?

swampthing
10-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Swampthing. Do you really rattle in October. Do you rake trees and grunt as well? I have heard about staging areas but I can't say I've ever really identified an area where this occurs. Are staging areas lower points on mountains on routes toward wintering grounds?

Yes I rattle in October. October is when the bucks spar and figure out the "pecking order" I have seen plenty of all out fights in October. All the fights and sparring I have seen have been with smaller bucks. I don't think there is nearly as much antler banging in November as October. Any of the places I hunt are pretty much year around habitat so wherever the deer are is where they will be sparring. I do rake trees but have never grunted. Any time I rattle I have usually already spotted a buck and I am trying to bring him closer. I don't target whitetails {coarse deer} but have brought in both a whitetail and a mulie at the same time. Find some does and give it a try.

ruger#1
10-03-2014, 06:06 PM
Yes I rattle in October. October is when the bucks spar and figure out the "pecking order" I have seen plenty of all out fights in October. All the fights and sparring I have seen have been with smaller bucks. I don't think there is nearly as much antler banging in November as October. Any of the places I hunt are pretty much year around habitat so wherever the deer are is where they will be sparring. I do rake trees but have never grunted. Any time I rattle I have usually already spotted a buck and I am trying to bring him closer. I don't target whitetails {coarse deer} but have brought in both a whitetail and a mulie at the same time. Find some does and give it a try.

I have done the same in the Cache Creek area in October. I use a doe bleat can with antlers. I also stomp the antlers on the ground a few times to simulate deer hooves hitting the ground. Called in a few mulies. not many whitetails. Works great for blacktails in mid October to the end of November.

frenchbar
10-04-2014, 07:16 AM
Lots of deer this yr just got to get off the seat of the truck and go for a walk

frenchbar
10-04-2014, 07:40 AM
And yes get a whitey tag . Getting to be a few in the area mostly in 3-17but some in 3-32 and3-16.